• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Operator - London Underground

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris11256

Just got this update email from tfl

Thank you for your application for the Train Operator (Part Time – Night Tube) - 018717 role.

You have taken your first step on a journey to join Transport for London as it prepares to deliver a historic change to its service.

The Night Tube will open up night-time London to a plethora of new and exciting opportunities. Passengers will no longer be constrained by first and last Tubes at the weekend but free to take advantage of all the possibilities our great city offers throughout the night.

Our Night Tube Operational Staff are key to enabling this exciting and valuable initiative.

As you may have expected, there has been a lot of interest in these vacancies, and we have a large number of candidates to assess.* We are committed to ensuring that the recruitment process you experience is professional and appropriate, and that this is fair and consistent for all.* Therefore, it may take us some time to take everyone through the necessary stages.

The first thing you will receive from us is notification that you should undertake a Situational Judgement Test. It has been specifically designed as a bespoke tool which suits the role requirements of the London Underground Train Operator.* The test assesses how a candidate would handle situations that they may encounter specifically in the role they are applying for.* In addition they allow us to consider a candidate’s responses in line with our organisational behaviours.* You will receive information regarding how to take this test during the second week of February.

In the meantime we will provide you with regular updates, and messages from our Night Tube team, so look out for our emails.

I've just received the same email. I'm just pleased I haven't yet received a 'sorry but no' email. :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
Why do I get a feeling that everyone will be getting the same email and absolutely no sort of selection has taken place!

Ladder23

Established Member
Why do I get a feeling that everyone will be getting the same email and absolutely no sort of selection has taken place!

why dont you think?

im new to all this, still working it out for myself. is this just a threat to the unions?

A-driver

Established Member
why dont you think?

im new to all this, still working it out for myself. is this just a threat to the unions?

Unfortunately yes at present. It's a ploy to undermine them. Part of a bigger political game from Boris I'm afraid.

Ladder23

Established Member
Unfortunately yes at present. It's a ploy to undermine them. Part of a bigger political game from Boris I'm afraid.

How do these unions accept people as such?

I good friend of my Father is a tube driver, an said he would be keen to help with advice etc, even offered to meet me at the local which was nice for a chat an to go through things.

But, how do they get you in as such then? It's strange!

A-driver

Established Member
How do these unions accept people as such?

I good friend of my Father is a tube driver, an said he would be keen to help with advice etc, even offered to meet me at the local which was nice for a chat an to go through things.

But, how do they get you in as such then? It's strange!

Not sure what you mean exactly?

If you mean how do unions get you to join its a mix of visiting trainees to sell themselves and word of mouth. Most people are quick to join as its the best insurance policy money can buy.

philthetube

Established Member
I think aslef are prepared to accept part time drivers providing they are employed at the same rates and on the same conditions as full timers, no zero hours contracts, same (pro rata) holiday entitlements etc.

I think the rmt actually have a bigger issue as it is going to remove the promotion route to train op from station assistant.

aslef have accepted that part timers are inevitable in order to keep constant the number of weekends worded by full time staff constant.

gpiper

Had an email this afternoon inviting me to do an online Situational Judgment Test. Email contains the link and also states it has to be done within 5 days and they are looking to invite successful applicants to the next stage asap. Obviously now ramping up recruitment to get the new drivers ready so they can implement the Night Tube.

chris11256

Finished my test a little while ago. Majority of it was ok, a couple of questions needed extra thought.

Hopefully I've done enough to make it though to the next stage!

Dscs

Hi, if I've passed a train operators assessments already with the OPC, is it necessary to do the tests again? Asking as I recieved this same mail today and unsure if this would jeopardise my chances.
Thanks in advance

chris11256

Hi, if I've passed a train operators assessments already with the OPC, is it necessary to do the tests again? Asking as I recieved this same mail today and unsure if this would jeopardise my chances.
Thanks in advance

From what I've read and been told LU driver recruitment is completely unrelated to mainline tests. Although they may use similar tests, LU won't care about existing mainline passes. Thats what i've been told anyway.

piccman

Just as a matter of interest, what sort of questions were asked? Were they difficult? I have applied for a different job with TFL and want to see if there is anywhere I can get a bit of practice in. Any help appreciated.

chris11256

Just as a matter of interest, what sort of questions were asked? Were they difficult? I have applied for a different job with TFL and want to see if there is anywhere I can get a bit of practice in. Any help appreciated.

Unfortunately as part of the test, you agree not to share the 'exact' contents. However it's exactly as it says on the tin. Situational judgement for a train driver. Things like what would you do if X happened. Or something like 'you've just terminated your train and are walking to the other cab when you're approached by a customer. What do you do?'

Last edited:

cmm883

Hi Drazky

According to the job advert its gonna be like this:

The recruitment process consists of 4 stages. You will need to pass each stage to progress to the next:

Stage 1: Online Application Form
As part of the application process you will be asked a number of screening questions

Stage 2: Online test.
Due to the high volumes of applications you may not receive the on-line tests for up to 6 weeks from the published closing date.

Stage 3: AC1 - You will complete the following pencil and paper tests
SCAAT test
Following information
Understanding information
Error identification

Stage 4: AC2:
Recorded Voice Communication Test and Competency Based Interview

gpiper

Just got an email today following the online SJT with a link to book an interview.

cmm883

Well done progressing through to the next stage! Although I thought it would be an assessment next and not an interview..

gpiper

Well done progressing through to the next stage! Although I thought it would be an assessment next and not an interview..

Yeah I have just booked the date. 3 days available. 25, 26 and 27 February in a central London hotel with assessment days starting either at 08:30 or 13:30 and lasting about 4 hours. It is a day 1 assessment centre and here are the tests you do on the day according to the email:

On the Day of your Assessment Event
For this assessment you will be required to do a Following Information, Understanding Information and Error ID test as well as a SCAAT test.

You should be with us for around 4 hours in total.

If you are successful at this stage you will be invited to complete a second stage assessment which will involve a communication exercise and a competency based interview. The interview competencies you will be assessed on at the second stage are as follows:

Customer Service Orientation
Results Focus
Safety Awareness
Technical Competency
Fault Finding

cmm883

Yeah I have just booked the date. 3 days available. 25, 26 and 27 February in a central London hotel with assessment days starting either at 08:30 or 13:30 and lasting about 4 hours. It is a day 1 assessment centre and here are the tests you do on the day according to the email:

On the Day of your Assessment Event
For this assessment you will be required to do a Following Information, Understanding Information and Error ID test as well as a SCAAT test.

You should be with us for around 4 hours in total.

If you are successful at this stage you will be invited to complete a second stage assessment which will involve a communication exercise and a competency based interview. The interview competencies you will be assessed on at the second stage are as follows:

Customer Service Orientation
Results Focus
Safety Awareness
Technical Competency
Fault Finding

Thanks a lot for that gpiper. Hopefully I'll get that email soon!

Did they send you any practice material at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.