• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Operator - London Underground

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jambo86

There were interviews today at the Radisson Blue Edwardian Hotel!
I've just come back from my one which was scheduled at 14:00. Prepare well for the interview guys! I was savagely grilled lol felt like I just came out of a boxing match. Definitely failed.

Same place I went, and don't give in just yet, I felt the same immediately afterwards but was successful. Which examiners did you have?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jabs29

Hi everyone after reading the forum from page 1 to 27 I feel a little less stressed I really appreciate all of this info and hopefully my ac1 will go well on Tuesday problem is they haven't given much time to prepare did anyone have any difficulties with the following and understanding test???

Gekko5154

Same place I went, and don't give in just yet, I felt the same immediately afterwards but was successful. Which examiners did you have?

Was a middle aged white male with a moustache (he was HR). He wasn't friendly at all. The train manager was polite though.

AC2er

When did you sit yours? Also, keep an eye out for private numbers, as I received a verbal confirmation saying I'd passed before the email confirmation was sent through.

Thank you, I sat it on Wednesday and I have just had the phone call :D Good job you said it was a private number as I usually ignore them lol

No start date yet as they are fully booked but she said it would probably be either June or July...

Jabs29

Hi everyone just wanted to ask when you did your ac1 how many questions were you given for the understanding information test and following information test also how much time were you given? I have mine tomorrow and I'm really nervous

A1A1

Alright everyone
Have been following this forum for a while and just want to say a big thank you to you all for all the helpful information and patient responses. Wishing you the best in all your projects

Lrd

Established Member
Yep, I am in my 3rd week, I believe there was one more group a week before mine. 16 to a group.

Jambo86

Got my medical next Tuesday, and a provisional training date of June 20th. Looking forward to it. Hopefully you folks that have started already can keep us posted on how it's going? Also, can anyone that's been through the medical give me a run-down of what the day consists of?

sfxdude

Got my medical next Tuesday, and a provisional training date of June 20th. Looking forward to it. Hopefully you folks that have started already can keep us posted on how it's going? Also, can anyone that's been through the medical give me a run-down of what the day consists of?

From what I remember it's basic stuff first, eyesight (with and without glasses), hearing, drugs test, blood pressure and then a chat with a doctor. Quite a long process (maybe about 2 hours).

LondonMitch

How was the test on day 1? I start my training soon and that's what has me worried. That and the potential of falling onto a live rail during the track walk :p

AC2er

I've got my medical on Friday and have also been given a start date of 20th June :)

How long does it take to be given the all clear, is it straight after the medical or do they have to wait for the results?

In other words will I be able to hand my notice in on Monday lol

piccman

You will be told on the day if you have passed the medical apart from the alcohol/drugs test as that takes a couple of days to come back although if you pass, you won't hear anything.

Once that is all clear, at some stage you will get a date to sign contracts and collect your uniform.

AC2er

Thank you all went well, doctor was extremely nice and made it much easier going than I thought it would be.

Where do we collect our uniform from, is it back at Ashfield House or somewhere else?

Also does anyone know when we can apply for the season ticket loan, is it once we've passed the training or can we apply as soon as we sign the contracts?
With the 75% discount a years season ticket will cost the same (£1000) as the three month one I'm going to need! :|

Lrd

Established Member
Where do we collect our uniform from, is it back at Ashfield House or somewhere else?
North Acton, you will be taking a lot of uniform back with you in a large cardboard box. I recommend either driving there or taking a suitcase with you.
Also does anyone know when we can apply for the season ticket loan, is it once we've passed the training or can we apply as soon as we sign the contracts?
With the 75% discount a years season ticket will cost the same (£1000) as the three month one I'm going to need! :|
Not too sure on season ticket but you get your Oyster card on first day of training at Ashfield House so I assume you can apply for the discount right away. Just so you know, you have to buy the full price discount yourself and then get the discount paid back to you.

AC2er

North Acton, you will be taking a lot of uniform back with you in a large cardboard box. I recommend either driving there or taking a suitcase with you.

Not too sure on season ticket but you get your Oyster card on first day of training at Ashfield House so I assume you can apply for the discount right away. Just so you know, you have to buy the full price discount yourself and then get the discount paid back to you.

Thank you for the info, will take a suitcase with me then if I decide to get the train up :)

I am a bit confused about the loan, it says 75% discount on a season ticket loan, so not sure where the loan comes in if you have to pay for the ticket yourself? Looks like I'll be needing a credit card to find the £5k then lol

Leetw13

Hi.
I had my interview and voice recording test Friday.
Has anyone heard anything yet?

Jambo86

Hi.
I had my interview and voice recording test Friday.
Has anyone heard anything yet?

If you were successful you'll get a call from a private number. If unsuccessful you'll get an email rejection. When I went for mine, I went in on the Friday and got the phone call on the Tuesday, a few days after.

People that have started their training, any indication which line you'll be assigned to? I know there's a few depots but have been told, by a full-time driver I know, that your address doesn't make a difference to where you could be assigned.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I am a bit confused about the loan, it says 75% discount on a season ticket loan, so not sure where the loan comes in if you have to pay for the ticket yourself? Looks like I'll be needing a credit card to find the £5k then lol

Also do not forget that the 75% discount is also taxable, unless you travel on GTR or East Coast, so in reality the discount will be a bit less depending on how much tax you pay.

sfxdude

If you were successful you'll get a call from a private number. If unsuccessful you'll get an email rejection. When I went for mine, I went in on the Friday and got the phone call on the Tuesday, a few days after.

People that have started their training, any indication which line you'll be assigned to? I know there's a few depots but have been told, by a full-time driver I know, that your address doesn't make a difference to where you could be assigned.

You find out your depot on your first day. They seem to take your location into consideration for most, but not all.

Lrd

Established Member
They will do their best to allocate you to a depot close to your home but it is entirely possible you will get one on the other side of the city. You will find out which line you're going to in the first week and it is possible to switch lines with another person in your class (providing there is someone willing to do so).

AC2er

Also do not forget that the 75% discount is also taxable, unless you travel on GTR or East Coast, so in reality the discount will be a bit less depending on how much tax you pay.

Thank you, that's fine, as long as I definitely get 75% back before tax, I did read in another thread that you can only get that if you're employed full time. But it does say in the advert about the 75% rebate so hopefully that's the case otherwise I won't be able to afford to work there :(

Also anyone doing the training can you please tell me how long it actually is?
In the advert and mentioned in the interview they said 16 weeks but in emails from HR they say 12 weeks? I need to know to arrange cover for the kids :)

Thanks all

By the way I have emailed HR these questions but they never reply! lol You lot are much better ;)

Last edited:

Lrd

Established Member
Training is 12 weeks with one week leave built in. If you need extra time then they will extend the training for as long as you need.

notadriver

Established Member
Training is 12 weeks with one week leave built in. If you need extra time then they will extend the training for as long as you need.

Which lines will the new recruits be on ? Is it still possible to join aged 18 as opposed to 21 for NR?

Regarding season ticket loans do these new recruits get any reciprocal travel facilities on NR like priv passes or FIP?

Lrd

Established Member
Which lines will the new recruits be on ? Is it still possible to join aged 18 as opposed to 21 for NR?

Regarding season ticket loans do these new recruits get any reciprocal travel facilities on NR like priv passes or FIP?
Central, Victoria. Jubilee, Piccadilly and Northern. (All Night Tube lines)

Unsure on age.

We get a staff Oyster card, which is valid on London Overground, Underground, DLR, Tramlink, Buses and a few minor National Rail lines within the zones (like c2c to Upminster I believe). No priv or FIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.