• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train or tubetrain Key?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keithuk

You will have be bear with me on this one.
I have what I was told was train keys?, I have about 8 of then I think, they look like handle come, single ended spanner with a kind of locating pin, some are different types.
Maybe tubetrain I don't know, any suggestions.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Keithuk

They don't look much, they are outside rusting.

P1010187.jpg

Keithuk

Well I have shifted a few thousand Gas bottles in my time and they are not spanners.

es373

They are control keys for the A stock on the Metropolitan Line. (LU)

LUL train Keys:- Top right is a selector/reverser key used up to (possibly) Victoria line 1967 tube stock and, I think, C69/77 stock. 1972 tube stock may have used them as well.
Sometimes called a selector key, sometimes a reverser key, they are used to select forward I, forward II, reverse, a neutral position and shutdown.

Next two are guard's keys.
When the guard used to have a separate panel this key would be used to switch it on.

Next two below are train control keys.
Used to open up (switch on) all train low voltage supplies.

The last one is another type of guard's key which dates from pre 1938.

Oracle

Established Member
I agree..Underground keys. I have three somewhere..one being a C Stock key and one a Standard Stock (pre-1938) one!

In the past I have known a few drivers to have had their keys chrome-plated...though this then leads to the open gap being reduced slightly so has to be filed down! In the 1970s I used to see drivers changing over at Acton Town westbound. The driver having a break would leave his cab with his key left in the controller. The new driver would then hand their key to the other. However, if a driver had their own chromed key, they used to take it with them, which resulted sometimes in a miffed reliever!

You don't have to chrome plate them. If they are in fairly good condition and have an hour or so to spare a good going over with a fine file, draw filing, will bring them up in a very shiny condition.

Some drivers hollow out the casting of a control key to make a loop.

I never got round to doing this but wanted one.

Pete2210

The Guards key with the offset knob, for want of a better word, was used on District Line R stock to the best of my knowledge, and it was used to open and shut the doors, it had a normal centre position, away from the doors to close them and toward the doors to open them, it worked in a quadrant in those ways, so a District line Guard had to carry his position switch key, which livened up the guards panel and the key with the offset knob to work the doors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.