• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Presentation Operatives (Northern Rail)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyN

I am trying to get on as a Train Presentation Operative. I used to work for British Rail from 1984 to 1993 and have experience of Train Cleaning in that time. I am trying to get back on the Railway and this seems like a good starting point. I see a lot of these jobs come up a lot. Any advice of what they are looking for in Job Applications and what is advantageous in getting these jobs. Any help advice appreciated.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ive applied for the Night Train Presentation Job at Allerton

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
I doubt that there is anything that could be advantageous for such a role apart from showing professionalism and a dedication to said role - obviously previous experience is welcomed. As you say the jobs do come up a lot due to people not being able to do the actual job and getting bored of all the crap people leave behind and just leaving.

but you're right, its a good start back in the railway and it is only up to yourself to see how far up you can go so good luck.

AndyN

Just wondering if theres anything I could put that would stand out in my application as I applied for a position a while back and no luck. With these jobs coming up a lot im wondering with my previous experience and keeping applying that I may eventually get a opportunity due to my name keep cropping up on the job applications

Withnailandi

I know of 3 cleaners who have gone onto be guards. Its a foot in the door and there is nothing demeaning in cleaning. Its working and its a pity more people don't see it that way. Go for it. You never know where it will lead.

Clip

Established Member
Just wondering if theres anything I could put that would stand out in my application as I applied for a position a while back and no luck. With these jobs coming up a lot im wondering with my previous experience and keeping applying that I may eventually get a opportunity due to my name keep cropping up on the job applications

Just highlight your strengths that apply most to the role*. Keep on trying

*Attention to detail, timleyness, thorough - that sort of thing.

AndyN

I know these Train Presentation Jobs come up at least every month so if I get a non successful application from this job I have applied for at Allerton I will keep applying for them and hopefully my name will start to stick out and eventually will be taken on as I want to get back on the Railway and spend the rest of my working days there.

Clip

Established Member
Good to hear and keep on trying.

remember there are other excellent roles out there too from station staff to booking clerks - all wanting enthusiastic people to join their ranks - not enough of them on this forum mind you as its driver or nothing - but Im really pleased to see that someone will take any role just to get started!!

All the best.

Red18

There are two TPO's on my driving course (or ex TPO's now I should say)
It's a great place to start.
Good luck.

AndyN

Just had a email from Northern Rail. I have a Interview a week tomorrow, Fri May 1st for a Train Presentation Operative Job, Nights at Allerton. Really pleased. Its been a while since ive been for a interview so any advice would be welcome. Would I best turn up in a suit or just smart trousers and a smart shirt. Anyone been for a interview for one of these positions and know what questions they ask. Thanks in advance.

fabs

As someone who has interviewed personnel in the past (and now I'm just entering an interviewee stage of my career) I would advise that there is no harm in dressing in smart as you can; it shouldn't be necessary top go and buy something specifically for one interview.
Show the panel (or interviewer) that you have buckets of enthusiasm and attention to detail. Research the company as much as you can (area of operations, HQ locations etc). Be yourself, look them in the eye, remember everything you wrote in your application, be honest! Have a question or two yourself (you should be given an opportunity at the end of the interview). Take copies of your references to hand out if necessary.
Good luck!

Clip

Established Member
Good to hear. Smartly dressed is always a good idea - I would say a suit every time but then others may say a smart shirt and trousers would suffice - I wouldnt know what Northern would look for but be as presentable as possibly and dont wear too much scent(i say this because some people turn up stinking like a prossies dressing table)

They will probably ask you questions to demonstrate what you have done in certain situations and your experience and such like. They may even ask you how you see your career to progress so sound keen but not overly keen - had one last year who said he wanted to be MD in 5 years. Big jump from a booking office clerk that :)

Be positive and the best of luck to you and maybe let us know how you got on

AndyN

Went for the interview on Friday and I thought it went well. The only questions I did struggle with were the how did you deal with a angry customer. I never really researched these questions to be honest as I didn't think they would ask them as I went for a Train Cleaner job and didn't think they would be revelant.I still answered them though and I played on the ive worked for British Rail for 9 years card and have cleaned trains before. Got myn email today saying I have been unsuccessful. I feel I did everything right, dressed smart, came across well, mentioned my wiorkingon the railway and have cleaned trains. I mean what more can I do ?????? Anyone else been for a Train Presntation job and been knocked back before being taken in. To say its knocked my confidence is a understatement. If I cant get on as a Train Cleaner then theres no hope. Anyone been for these jobs, been knocked back , applied again and got on. Im bemused, any help, feedback appreciated.

Suraggu

Don't be disheartened. I have been applying to Northern Rail for 5 years and never got passed the application stage. But Ive been successful in 3 different TOC's over 8 years. So I have always looked at Northern Rail as not good enough for me.

AndyN

Ive rung them up and E Mailed them asking for feedback which will be helpful for me next time I apply. I got to the interview stage so they saw something in me. The only thing I can think of is not researching Northern Rail as a Company as I was asked what I knew about the company and could only answer the basics plus has I say I stumbled on dealing with the angry customer or pleasing a customer questions. I went in thinking these questions wouldn't be relevant being as I was going for a Train Cleaning Job but maybe this is where I slipped up as they did the interview on a points score so they told me. I do hope they get back to me with feedback and it shows them I have initiative by asking and my name will crop up again and i'll be better prepared. Anyone on here had a few knockbacks for Northern Rail before getting on. Im hoping perservance wins the day.

johnsonr380

Andy, you probably know where you went wrong here but for future reference have some examples ready, there's some good example questions on the forum. Sounds like all jobs with northern are similar interviews.

Know the company, know the role and think of different scenarios, I'm sure you saying you have an eye for detail and good customer service can't help.

I'm no expert by any means, but there's always people here to help.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Can't hurt, sorry

AndyN

Ive just been on the Northern Rail Website and applied for a Train Presentation Operative Position at Wigan Wallgate Sidings. Hopefully having a recent interview will go for me, not against me and i'll know what to expect if I get a interview.

Marg70

Hi I've also applied for Wigan and just had an email inviting me to take part in online assessment havnt had a look at it yet as I'm at work any ideas anyone

AndyN

Ive got a 15 Minute DSI Online Assesment for the Train Operative Job ive applied for at Wigan Wallgate Sidings. Before I take it can anyone tell me what this entails and what sort of questions they ask and answers expected. Thanks in advance

Marg70

I've just done the assessment online all it is 18 multiple choice questions about what applies to you at work there are two answers for each and a neither good luck ??????

Status
Not open for further replies.