• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Simulator 15 Years Old

Status
Not open for further replies.

365 Networker

This September, it will be around 15 years since the initial release of RailSimulator. This got me thinking - will there be some type of celebration? An upgrade of one of the early routes? An upgrade to the game's engine? A new interface?
I would be very interested to see what peoples predictions are - personally I would very much like to see the GW Mainline or London to Brighton updated to a modern standard.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dakta

I think if there is it is likely to be in the form of a DLC sale, an update to the game engine whilst would be really welcome to extend the life of the product without losing the dlc compatability isn't something I expect to happen, I don't have any intel but I presume the engine source is not something they can easily tinker with or they would have.

Despite the critcisims it draws elsewhere it is still capable of producing some good quality graphics though particularly with good addons so I'm not worried about its age, but yeah on the whole I expect if anything it'l be a sale, maybe some extra dlc released if we're lucky.

_toommm_

Established Member
The out of memory bugs are becoming all the more prevalent. As noted above, it’s a great game with the mods and third-party DLC, but on the bigger and higher quality routes it’s slowly becoming unplayable for me.

dakta

Not much info available for the out of memory bug - strangely enough except a couple of rare occasions (one being when it tried to use integrated graphics) i don't really seem to get it. Impression I get is it's a bit of a catch-all error and so it doesn't really help to know what went wrong

I don't have much information on the engine, but I heard mention somewhere that there were legal issues with it in sense that it was licensed etc? if so that might be the reason the engines gone more or less untouched (i.e literally they can't touch it) but it does spoil otherwise a decent game.

The alternatives like train sim world are a bit more arcadey so not really for me :( - what i've done to try and compensate is build a rig optimised for train simulators non-optimisations, i.e i favoured hard disk drive performance, single core performance and ram over the graphics (though the latter is important too), I run at medium detail and whilst you get some odd floating objects now and then it seems to perform (and look) allright mostly

365 Networker

The out of memory bugs are becoming all the more prevalent
The AP 317 quick drive on ECML seems to cause this quite frequently, although it doesn't happen on any other routes.

The alternatives like train sim world are a bit more arcadey so not really for me
I agree - I've tried playing TSW, but get bored after about half an hour as it is just too bland.

nlogax

Established Member
Showing my age here but I started out with Microsoft Train Sim in 2001. This how Kuju started out before developing Rail Simulator half a decade later. It was a very clunky start indeed!

Status
Not open for further replies.