• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train that you’ve seen the most in one day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class15

On Moderation
What train have you seen the most times in one day?

My record was a few weeks ago, when I saw 90010 and 015 on 4M87 at Highbury and Islington, then overtook same train at Caledonian Road and then got off at Camden Road to see it a third time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6975

Established Member
Back in the days of the Llanwern iron ores, it wasn't unusual to see a loco 5 times through Newport in a day. I suspect the iron ores at Barnetby were similar.

NorthWestRover

Established Member
Back in the day (late 70s/early 80s), spotting on Slutchers Lane at Warrington, there would have been numerous locos doing several local freight trips that I would have seen any number of times. Rats and 40s especially. Some of Duffs on merry-go-rounds to and from Fidlers Ferry too.

And 47555 probably 200 times a day whenever I was looking for 40s on haulage.

jfollows

Established Member
The only time - to date - I've used the Ordsall Chord I took a train from Manchester Victoria to Manchester Piccadilly. At Water Street Junction I saw a 390 waiting to follow us, it was during a partial WCML closure and it was routed via Manchester. At Manchester Piccadilly I crossed from platform 13 to the main station and caught a different 390 to Stockport, and saw the first 390 arriving in platform 13. At Stockport I got off my train and waited for the first 390 on diversion, which I saw for the third time and this time caught and went as far as Wilmslow.

I didn't wait on platform 13 for it in the first place because it was unpleasantly crowded, as is often the case.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Back in, I think it was 2015, I saw 156500 four times in one day - travelling with it (or its partner) twice.

A few times I've had the same unit coming back as going out, that most recently happened visiting Pitlochry when I had the same HST set on my return but that was expected as I knew my return service was the next part of the diagram.

M&NEJ

I saw a BR HST bound for Penzance 3 times in the same day - not outstanding but for the fact that I was on board at first and turfed off at Crewe because of a points failure.

When the replacement coach dumped me at Stafford I got down the platform steps just in time to see my train pass through ECS, non-stop.

Then after getting from Stafford to Birmingham on a cross-country service I got down to the platform at New Street just in time to see my HST again, departing with passengers for the south west. I was not happy!

Purple Train

Established Member
In 2019, on a simple hour's run on a stopper from Milton Keynes Central to London Euston, I saw 390009 three times. First it overtook us close to Milton Keynes, then we overtook it and then it overtook us again as both trains waited to cross a bridge following a strike.
(It was only five minutes late into Euston in the end.)

jj1314

A dull answer but I've seen the St Ives Bay shuttling back and forth numerous times when doing the wonderful walk from Lelant to St Ives. I pity the poor soul who has to drive the route. It's gorgeous but surely gets a tad repetitive! Can anyone confirm if a single driver is rostered on the route for an entire day, or not?!

jj1314

In Summer they have two drivers - one at each end - to cope with the intensive service and short turnrounds at crowded platforms.
Wow! Hadn't noticed that before. That's quite something!

william.martin

On Moderation
Wow! Hadn't noticed that before. That's quite something!
I would quite enjoy that, my own cab as a driver but not having to drive the train!
Probably 150207 (don't look at the headlamps) as I saw it at least 5 times a day at Dawlish Warren the once.

syrac

Not a very exciting answer, but have seen various 153s on different days 4/5 times shuttling between Cardiff Queen Street and Cardiff Bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.