• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train to Catania with 2 kids

trebor79

Established Member
My mum won £10k on the Premium Bonds, so she's used it to book an awesome villa in Sicily for a week next May, for us all (her and dad, my family and my brothers family) to have a week away together. We just need to pay for our flights.

Flights appear to be horrifically expensive - like £600 each for a return with luggage. So I'm thinking of doing the Eurostar and then either sleeper to Milan/Rome and day train to Catania, or day train to Milan and sleeper to Catania.
Prices seem very reasonable if we have a 4 berth couchette, and not ridiculously expensive if we have a couple of 2 berth rooms.

Our kids will be 11 and 6 when we go. Has anyone does this journey with children in tow? Am I completely mad?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SandsofEss

Not mad at all. This is a wonderful idea. It will be an unforgettable experience, and they'll have a much greater sense of the scale of the world (and their place in Europe) because of it.

Every child is different, and you'll have a better sense of what your six year old can cope with than anyone else, but by way of reassurance I've done many similar trips with my own children, including when they were younger than that. I often think the prevailing wisdom underestimates just what children are capable of, and how much they can be energised and inspired by big adventures. The eternal rules of any parental journey apply - snacks, games and books aplenty.

If you're still unsure, or looking to find a more cost-effective plan, it's worth considering flying part of the way. For example, you can usually fly to Milan or Zurich very cheaply, and then pick up the rails from there.

Obviously somewhat negates the sustainability benefits, but it may prove a more practical solution for you.

Iskra

Established Member
An interesting idea; I have done the reverse journey.

However, I don’t believe trains are running through from Paris to Italy currently due to a landslide, so a coach replacement is involved for part of the journey if you use the TGV train. I’m also not sure the Paris-Milan sleeper train runs anymore either.

You may be best flying to Milan and then getting the sleepers down from there or choosing a new route involving Austria or Germany.

Last edited:

Mr_B

I did Eurostar to Lille, then TGV to Nice, Hotel in Nice, then train to Milan next day, afternoon exploring on trams in Milan then the overnight to Catania, and then we flew back from Catania last May with child No.2 and can thoroughly recommend it - maybe an option if the Paris-Milan direct route is not back by when you're travelling.
Very scenic (once the sun is up) down the Italian coast, then the fun of a train on a boat, arrives Catania about 2pm. Stock up on snacks for the overnight sleeper and eat in Milan before departure as it's a long trip, but a great adventure for the kids.
As ever seat61 has all the info - https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/trains-to-sicily.htm

trebor79

Established Member
Thanks for the advice. Yes we did think perhaps flying part way to Milan or Rome where cheaper flights are available might be a solution. But we also thought it might be fun to do the Eiffel Tower etc in Paris.
I believe the landslide is meant to be sorted later this year so should be OK when we go (to clarify by "next May" I meant May 2025), but in any case there is a slower train via a different route.

I think they'll be OK sleeping on the train as they appear to be able to sleep in a moving car or train anyway. I know I never sleep very well if at all on a sleeper train, but if all I'm doing for most of the next day is sitting on a train anyway I'm sure I'd be OK.

Of course the cheapest (and arguably least polluting) option is to drive there and back in the Tesla. But I don't fancy that at all!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
It depends where you fly from, but easyJet can be £50-£75 each way to Catania (before extras like luggage, seats etc).
But it does get a lot more expensive at particular times/dates - no doubt in school hols.
They also go to Naples and the ride down the coast on the through day train from there to Sicily is spectacular, but you'll need a night in Naples.
You also can't book flights, or trains, for 2025 yet!
Most airlines have a 9-11 month advance window; Trenitalia more like 3 months, and they can be very tardy opening up booking for the trains to Sicily.

Veteran Member
The journey through mainland Italy is long! I would use the Milan-Syracuse sleeper one way as it does the best bit south of Salerno in daylight. Advance fares on this tend to be cheaper than Interrail berth supplements.
It's years since I've done sleepers with kids, but my daughter is a convert and did Catania-Milan solo last summer (in the ensuite car!).

Look at Seat61 for all the journey options - if you have time go for the Bernina variant, if not the Gotthard "over the top", one way.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
I've done London-Paris-Milan-Syracuse in one go, some years back. Morning from London, change in Paris, evening meal in Milan, sleeper all the way from there, including on the boat which is fun of course.) No kids in tow, but there were kids on the trains I was on, including the very long run on the Milan-Syracuse sleeper.

Back then, pre-pandemic, by booking well ahead it cost a smidgen over £100 pp for the whole (one-way) journey, including a sleeper berth in a two-person sleeper. All very hassle-free and comfortable. Though with kids I guess it's better not to do a trip that long without much longer gaps between trains and spreading it over 48 hours. So yes, the Eiffel Tower on the way makes sense! And the Alps in daylight, if you go that way rather than via a re-opened Frejus.