• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Depot Driver East Midlands Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
Question for any current depot drivers or just general opinions. Is the job of Depot driver something that you would want to carry on doing even if a mainline opportunity came along? At this stage of my career, I have driven a tram for nearly 5 years and have become tired and essentially not arsed with the great British public and therefore welcome a job that will give me the chance to work on the railway but have limited exposure to the public (I am not an anti-people person in general I promise!).

Obviously after 2-3 years of working on the depot my opinion might change but to be honest for the wage that I am likely to be on and the fact I don't mind nights and mixed shifts, at the moment this job seems to tick every box.

Depends where you go. At Nottingham for example most of the work is station based so you're wandering around in an orange vest which inevitably attracts the attention of the public.

There are people who manage to do it permanently - I'm not sure I could but they seem quite happy taking home their wage.

Justy

Never heard of this "two attempts at enhanced" before. If u keep passing but don't reach what a TOC determines to be an "enhanced score" then you don't lose any lives.

I repeat my theory on this "enhanced standard" that knocks about. I have believed for a while that there is no such thing as a set "enhanced standard". It is whatever the TOC determines it to be.

Basically, a TOC will advertise, and get thousands of, in the case of EMT a year ago 2300, applicants. For 30-40 jobs.

They will sift these down to 600 or so by the questions on the application form. Basic failures to follow instructions like "remove personal info from your CV" would also be a fail!

They will book about 600 places on "stage 1" where the OPC will attend a venue and put you through several paper tests. One of these on stage 1 is the GBT.

Pass rate is about 30%. So they are left with 180 candidates from these 600.

They then book 40 places on the expensive "stage 2" OPC assessments (where the pass rate is 95%).

To reduce 180 to 40 they do driver manager interviews. But 180 interviews is far far too high. Would take too long and cost too much management time. They want to interview about 70.

So how do they get from 180 who passed that "stage 1" to 70?

They get the 180 who passed and order their results in order just using the GBT test result. The top 70 are deemed to have an "enhanced score" and progress to interview.

These 70 are then reduced to 40 with the "tell me about a time you..." driver manager interview.

In the last round of EMT recruitment several candidates applied having already passed with other TOCs. However, they were still asked to come into do just the GBT part of stage 1. Scouse Scott was one I believe. This allowed EMT to see if they had reached this "enhanced" standard.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

So my advice. You have 20-25% chance of passing the sift so make sure your application is top dollar. Every part of your application procedure and interviews needs to be perfect. 40 out of 2300 means that for every successful candidate there are about 56 who are not. But if you want enhanced standard, practice the GBT test until you are sick of it.

Wow thank you for the in depth reply, really appreciate it and I'm sure it'll help others reading it as well.
Problem with my results was that the stage 1 tests where I got national standard was the tea occ and the trp 1.
I know I messed up on the counting the low tones/ high tones(whichever way round it was) and I panicked during that test, which didn't help as there was still quite more counting to still do.
The memory test I thought I may have just scraped through which I obviously didn't meet the standard of enhanced.
Sad as this sound I actually enjoyed doing the gbt lol.
But I'm not sure how I can prepare myself for the tones test and if this may be the last opportunity I get, I don't want to blow it.

Whatever the case I'll know I'll do my best to my capabilities and that's all I can do.

Tomnick

Established Member
Never heard of this "two attempts at enhanced" before. If u keep passing but don't reach what a TOC determines to be an "enhanced score" then you don't lose any lives.

I repeat my theory on this "enhanced standard" that knocks about. I have believed for a while that there is no such thing as a set "enhanced standard". It is whatever the TOC determines it to be.

Basically, a TOC will advertise, and get thousands of, in the case of EMT a year ago 2300, applicants. For 30-40 jobs.

They will sift these down to 600 or so by the questions on the application form. Basic failures to follow instructions like "remove personal info from your CV" would also be a fail!

They will book about 600 places on "stage 1" where the OPC will attend a venue and put you through several paper tests. One of these on stage 1 is the GBT.

Pass rate is about 30%. So they are left with 180 candidates from these 600.

They then book 40 places on the expensive "stage 2" OPC assessments (where the pass rate is 95%).

To reduce 180 to 40 they do driver manager interviews. But 180 interviews is far far too high. Would take too long and cost too much management time. They want to interview about 70.

So how do they get from 180 who passed that "stage 1" to 70?

They get the 180 who passed and order their results in order just using the GBT test result. The top 70 are deemed to have an "enhanced score" and progress to interview.

These 70 are then reduced to 40 with the "tell me about a time you..." driver manager interview.

In the last round of EMT recruitment several candidates applied having already passed with other TOCs. However, they were still asked to come into do just the GBT part of stage 1. Scouse Scott was one I believe. This allowed EMT to see if they had reached this "enhanced" standard.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

So my advice. You have 20-25% chance of passing the sift so make sure your application is top dollar. Every part of your application procedure and interviews needs to be perfect. 40 out of 2300 means that for every successful candidate there are about 56 who are not. But if you want enhanced standard, practice the GBT test until you are sick of it.
Three (and a bit) years ago now, but I applied for a second time having passed all the tests a year earlier (long story...). They invited me to sit the tests again, both stages in turn. Each time they explained that they’d changed the ‘enhanced’ threshold and needed to check with the OPC that my previous results were good enough, before phoning back (before any of the testing dates) to confirm that they were up to the standard and that I wouldn’t have to sit the tests again. That certainly suggests to me that there was a fixed “enhanced” threshold then, and I doubt that it’s changed since.

I was told we could be waiting until towards the end of November 'at the latest'

What this intake unfortunately has to contend with is the fact that the franchise ends in March. Last year was exceptionally quick, hopefully it will be for you guys too.

2300 applied last year and only c.35 got taken on so plenty of time for practicing your GBT and mock interviews with family members! Just reading this forum will help. 100% of my training group either contributed to or read this forum during recruitment, it puts you ahead of the hoi polloi undoubtedly.

Macca89

Congratulations Olikay well done

I too have received an email

Unfortunately it’s not the news I wanted, I’ve not been shortlisted but never mind, try try try again and try I shal. I was hopeful but also at the same time not expecting to get the shortlist so I’m not majorly disheartened. It’ll come with perseverance.

Good luck everyone who gets the good news over the coming days/weeks.

Clive0121

Just received the email I wasn’t shortlisted too, which was a bit of a surprise considering I got through to the DMI stage last time and answered with pretty much the same answers, oh well, good luck to those who make it

hopefuldriver

Congratulations Olikay.
I got the “not this year” reply too. Nothing lost though. Good luck to those who get through. I’ll check al your messages on here next year when I apply again

Dynamonic

Congratulations to those of you who have been shortlisted! Let the hard work commence! :lol:
I’m told over 1600 people applied this time around, so you have done very well to get shortlisted! :D

To those of you who didn’t get the news you wanted though, don’t lose heart.
Now’s The time to get some great non-technical skills experience together ready for next time! The time to reapply again will roll around again so fast! :D

Good luck everyone! :)

Olikay93

Congratulations Olikay well done

I too have received an email

Unfortunately it’s not the news I wanted, I’ve not been shortlisted but never mind, try try try again and try I shal. I was hopeful but also at the same time not expecting to get the shortlist so I’m not majorly disheartened. It’ll come with perseverance.

Good luck everyone who gets the good news over the coming days/weeks.
Thanks mate! Ah sorry to hear that, but that's it mate don't give in and I'm sure next time you'll get it!

Dynamonic

Morning all. I have also been shortlisted for the next stage. Whats the next part of the process? Any tips for for that stage?
Cheers Dave

Congratulations Daveb1664!
You should be doing the Stage 1 OPC Psychometric paper tests next, which consist of Group Bourdon (Dots), Trainability for Rules & Procedures (Dial prioritisation and a procedure memory exercise) and Test of Everday Attention for Occupational Assessment (Information finding and tone counting exercise).

There’s a useful link to a Group Bourdon practice tool at the top of the page, and you’ll receive practice material for the tests too.:)

EMT require an Enhanced Level Standard at Stage One. :)

Olikay93

Congratulations Olikay.
I got the “not this year” reply too. Nothing lost though. Good luck to those who get through. I’ll check al your messages on here next year when I apply again
Cheers, as people are saying don't give in and go for it again. This was my second time around applying as my first application wasn't shortlisted. so just try again next time brother

Spiderman1

Congrats to those who have got through, commiserations to those that didn't, keep trying!
I'm yet to here! My closing date for app was 28/10/18, was all those that have heard the same, or was your deadline application earlier?
Just wondering how they might be prioritising list.

Cheers all

Spiderman1

Congrats to those who have got through, commiserations to those that didn't, keep trying!
I'm yet to here! My closing date for app was 28/10/18, was all those that have heard the same, or was your deadline application earlier?

Cheers all
Ps hear!

Daveb1664

Congratulations Daveb1664!
You should be doing the Stage 1 OPC Psychometric paper tests next, which consist of Group Bourdon (Dots), Trainability for Rules & Procedures (Dial prioritisation and a procedure memory exercise) and Test of Everday Attention for Occupational Assessment (Information finding and tone counting exercise).

There’s a useful link to a Group Bourdon practice tool at the top of the page, and you’ll receive practice material for the tests too.:)

EMT require an Enhanced Level Standard at Stage One. :)

That's great thank you!

Olikay93

Cheers all
Yes it was the 28th mate, I got mine in on the day it came out so maybe it's first in sort of thing?

KyleW

I too have been selected for the next stage.
A little weird the email had been sent at 1:30 am

Dynamonic

Cheers all

Have you checked your junk folder? :) They sometimes end up there.

stjimmy87

Good luck to all who have been shortlisted. As someone who is about to start training I can tell you all the waiting, testing and Interviews are so worth it.

burnttealeaf

Im also shortlisted and im really happy im still in the process at the same time as knowing this is just the first hurdle. Good luck to everyone and do try again if its not happened this time, i failed at this part last year and was determined to give it a go again.

Rhys Wharton

I have also been shortlisted!! Those that haven’t keep trying! This is the first time I have been shortlisted and I have been applying for trainee roles for about 6 months. I am looking forward to the next stage and keep looking through the threads on here for help and guidance. On that note what is the next stage like and is there anywhere I can do practice tests?? Thanks in advance :)

burnttealeaf

I have also been shortlisted!! Those that haven’t keep trying! This is the first time I have been shortlisted and I have been applying for trainee roles for about 6 months. I am looking forward to the next stage and keep looking through the threads on here for help and guidance. On that note what is the next stage like and is there anywhere I can do practice tests?? Thanks in advance :)
See a few replies up and there is a message from dynamonic who has helpfully posted a lot on this post, this details the different tests at stage one. There is group bourdon test file stickied to the front page of the forum, not sure if there is any actual material available for the other tests but i read above that they send out practice papers so at least you know the kind of test to anticipate on the day. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.