• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Driver Pass Out Rate

Established Member
Very stupid question? How wud u fight not to sleep or yawn in classroom during class room training for trainee driver please?

As others have said, 9-3 Monday to Friday is standard, plus a bit of home study. It shouldn’t be difficult for anyone to sustain concentration for that time, and you should *hopefully* be keen and motivated at the start of your new career!

Make sure you organise your life outside to enable you to fully commit for the period at the training school, and take it seriously, because:

a. The information you’re learning doesn’t exist in a vacuum, but is essential to doing the job correctly and safely; and

b. because your employment can and will be terminated if you don’t pass the exams to the required standard, as unfortunately happened to a candidate on my course.

If people do struggle with parts of the course they will be supported, but attitude demonstrated throughout the classroom sessions is monitored, and the level of support will be less for those identified as “problem” candidates. Remember also that you are being closely watched throughout the course, and issues identified will be communicated to managers.

You won’t be required to write essays, however you will need to write reports and fill in paperwork, so it hopefully goes without saying you should avoid “text speak”!

One guy fell asleep into his hands, then slipped and woke himself up. Another turned to smoking roll-ups to keep himself awake. Another took his shirt off and carried his laptop up to bed with him and tucked himself up in the duvet, before falling fully asleep. This prompted a couple of us to laugh, to which the trainer said that it happened every time.

Pretty embarrassing, really!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1867Blue

It’s one thing to yawn but if you fall asleep in a classroom not only is that a very strange thing to do but with the nature of the job you’ve applied for I would be very seriously considering your suitability to the role if you cannot concentrate or at least remain alert.
It’s also extremely rude.

Be better to say you need five minutes to go and get some fresh air. Sure the trainer wouldn’t mind

dk1

Veteran Member
Just like driving though you need to prepare the evening before even if you have to fight your body clock a bit. You’ll have to do it when you drive and you leave the house at 3am for a 4am book on or get back at 2am after finishing at 1am anyway so it’s good practice!
Exactly, changing your lifestyle if necessary if not this job isn't for you. I can function quite normally on 4-5hrs sleep for a few nights.

Be better to say you need five minutes to go and get some fresh air. Sure the trainer wouldn’t mind
Of course just like a smoke break. If it kept happening it's going to cause concern for the trainer and others. Much more to train driving than learning the rule book.

Established Member

Actually, based on my experience of the course, they certainly will mind! There are breaks built in, but there is a lot of material to get through in the time, and people popping out for some air whenever they feel like it is disruptive for the rest of the group. This is also why people aren’t able to book annual leave during the course, and if you miss more than a day or two due to illness etc. you’ll be expected to start again on another course.

Without wishing to sound too harsh, seven year old school kids are expected to concentrate from 9-3 Monday to Friday, so it shouldn’t be too much to expect from adults training for a highly responsible job with £60k-£100k potential earnings!

If it kept happening it's going to cause concern for the trainer and others. Much more to train driving than learning the rule book.

Absolutely. Including the ability to concentrate on monotonous tasks for long periods of time.

Last edited:

1867Blue

Actually, based on my experience of the course, they certainly will mind! There are breaks built in, but there is a lot of material to get through in the time, and people popping out for some air whenever they feel like it is disruptive for the rest of the group. This is also why people aren’t able to book annual leave during the course, and if you miss more than a day or two due to illness etc. you’ll be expected to start again on another course.

Without wishing to sound too harsh, seven year old school kids are expected to concentrate from 9-3 Monday to Friday, so it shouldn’t be too much to expect from adults training for a highly responsible job with £60k-£100k potential earnings!

Absolutely. Including the ability to concentrate on monotonous tasks for long periods of time.
Well on our course we were able to ask for five minutes of it got too much for us, they would wait until a suitable place to stop but would definitely let us. Saying that there are plenty of breaks and during the 9-3 we were working. For me personally it sometimes felt like we was having a break more than we was actually working.

Just goes to show how different each company does it

Twotwo

Got plenty of breaks for a coffee on our course.

The trainers even had enough of it as well. We had lots of coffee breaks and early days. Luckily, the trainers appreciated how boring and tiresome it all was. The classroom stuff is death by presentations. Traction was way more fun for me.

iwasyoungonce

The trainers even had enough of it as well. We had lots of coffee breaks and early days. Luckily, the trainers appreciated how boring and tiresome it all was. The classroom stuff is death by presentations. Traction was way more fun for me.
Same here.

Established Member
Well on our course we were able to ask for five minutes of it got too much for us, they would wait until a suitable place to stop but would definitely let us.

We had plenty of breaks, but you wouldn’t have been able to duck out for five minutes if you felt tired, as appeared to being suggested above. I found the course pretty well paced and well broken up. You’d learn a signalling concept in the morning, then do a sim run in the afternoon, for example.

. Luckily, the trainers appreciated how boring and tiresome it all was.

It’s entirely down to what you make of it. I honestly enjoyed my course, and found it interesting, as I knew it was directly relevant to the role I had chosen to take on.

Having joined from outside the railway I also felt being paid more than the average annual salary to do a fairly straightforward training course from 9-3, with no stress other than needing to turn up and pass, was a pretty sweet deal. Not many other industries where that would happen!

1867Blue

We had plenty of breaks, but you wouldn’t have been able to duck out for five minutes if you felt tired, as appeared to being suggested above. I found the course pretty well paced and well broken up. You’d learn a signalling concept in the morning, then do a sim run in the afternoon, for example.

It’s entirely down to what you make of it. I honestly enjoyed my course, and found it interesting, as I knew it was directly relevant to the role I had chosen to take on.

Having joined from outside the railway I also felt being paid more than the average annual salary to do a fairly straightforward training course from 9-3, with no stress other than needing to turn up and pass, was a pretty sweet deal. Not many other industries where that would happen!
They wouldn’t just allow you to leave. I didn’t mean it like that, but if someone was finding it hard they would move the break times around. Bring it forward half an hour say.

Every course is different, and each trainer probably has their own way of doing it, but they all know what they’re doing and know it’s hard to get in your brain at first. Eapeciallly for people with no railway experience before like both of us.