• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver - Bournemouth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LouG

Nope didn’t do any written communication test during paper tests and then you go on to computer tests once you passed all the paper tests. I don’t think they ask you to written communication test

Thanks alot, computer tests do you have to count any numbers like how many people are at this bus stop or is it just are the objects there?

PickleTree

Thanks alot, computer tests do you have to count any numbers like how many people are at this bus stop or is it just are the objects there?
You have to select what you saw from the menu of pedestrians; motor vehicles (excluding motorcycles); bikes, motorcycles or scooters; road signs; traffic lights.

LouG

You have to select what you saw from the menu of pedestrians; motor vehicles (excluding motorcycles); bikes, motorcycles or scooters; road signs; traffic lights.

Thanks, just practicing the now. This one is a nightmare. Down to luck maybe.

Nevergiveup

Nope you will see a picture for about a second then you will have 5 options to select if you saw anything from those 5 options which are:

1. pedestrians
2. motorcycles, moped, bicycles
3. Road signs/traffic signs
4. Traffic lights
5. Motor vehicles ( bus, lorry, cars etc)

PickleTree

What are you using to practice? the online material I found was harder than the real thing. What I will say though is the pictures are only on the screen in the real test for between 0.5 - 1 second!

Nevergiveup

I thought that would be the hardest but because you have 25 attempts so you should be able to pass that, I messed up the one u thought was the easiest (Vigilance test)

LouG

Just working through the DVDs. They show a picture and you need to be able to count 15 people at a bus stop or elsewhere in 0.5 seconds. I can't count that fast!

Nevergiveup

Agreed, the online materials have not so clear pictures and most had 4-5 objects. Real test picture were so much clear and not many will 4-5 objects
What are you using to practice? the online material I found was harder than the real thing. What I will say though is the pictures are only on the screen in the real test for between 0.5 - 1 second!
Agreed

LouG

I thought that would be the hardest but because you have 25 attempts so you should be able to pass that, I messed up the one u thought was the easiest (Vigilance test)

So it's 25 pictures they show. This is going to be difficult.

Twotwo

So it's 25 pictures they show. This is going to be difficult.

This is easier because you know what your looking out for. In the pratice ones your doing it's random pictures asking you random questions. The real test is easier because you have the answers there already, jus about picking which one you think you've seen.

Twotwo

Got you now. Feel abit better about it. Thanks

No worries and it's the same 5 options (eg pedestrian, cyclist, traffic lights etc) for everything so it doesn't switch up and play different pictures with different options. Good luck.

PickleTree

No worries and it's the same 5 options (eg pedestrian, cyclist, traffic lights etc) for everything so it doesn't switch up and play different pictures with different options. Good luck.
You are also in control of when you go onto the next picture so take your time to think about what you saw before you enter it in. It doesn't move on until you have selected your options. Make the most of this time.

LouG

So have l got it right in thinking that, they don't ask about

How many cyclists were in the picture?
How many red cars?
How many people?

It's the standard 5

Traffic lights
Pedestrian
Cyclists

Nevergiveup

That’s correct, don’t bother counting, just look at the pic and try remember what you saw such as vehicles, signs, pedestrians and select the options you saw

So have l got it right in thinking that, they don't ask about

How many cyclists were in the picture?
How many red cars?
How many people?

It's the standard 5

Traffic lights
Pedestrian
Cyclists

Nevergiveup

I initially thought this will be the hardest but tbh I didn’t find any assessments hard. Make sure you’re clear on the instructions for each test and each test will begin with practice questions so if you get practice ones wrong ask the assessor for explanation why you got it wrong. You’ll be fine as long as you know what you need to do but speed and accuracy will be the most important

LouG

Going to do a mock exam tomorrow. See what l am struggling on. Thanks for all the advice it really does make it abit easier.

MRIGuy

Oh put me at ease a bit. Getting around 10/11 lines with 2/3 ommitions. I’m only practicing incase I get through to assesments. Would you advise practicing the others too?
Try to focus on speed. From experience you're more likely to pass with more lines complete with minor omissions as opposed to only a handful of lines complete with no omissions.

Good luck

LouG

Did anyone sit the Driver Fault Finding Test (DFFT) or is that another name for dials?

PickleTree

Did anyone sit the Driver Fault Finding Test (DFFT) or is that another name for dials?
I have sat the DFFT for another FOC and is different to the dials test. My understanding is that with any TOC that requires an enhanced pass that you have to complete the DFFT.

LouG

Colour Vision
Trainability for Rules and Procedures
Group Bourdon Concentration
Test of Everyday Attention (TEA-Occ paper test)
Test of Vigilance (WAFV)
Test of Perception (ATAVT)
Written Communication Test (WCT)
The 2Hand Co-ordination Test

Is the list sent out. Going to give them a call about it. Not got a clue about DFFT.

PickleTree

Colour Vision
Trainability for Rules and Procedures
Group Bourdon Concentration
Test of Everyday Attention (TEA-Occ paper test)
Test of Vigilance (WAFV)
Test of Perception (ATAVT)
Written Communication Test (WCT)
The 2Hand Co-ordination Test

Is the list sent out. Going to give them a call about it. Not got a clue about DFFT.
I got sent practice material for the DFFT so I would hope they would have done the same for you if you were expected to sit it.

LouG

Did anyone sitting tests last weekend sit the DFFT test? Would really appreciate to know if l need to look at this one?

LouG

Gave them a phone, they said we shouldn't have it sit it.

Another question is motorcycles included as motor vehicles in the computer tests?

Status
Not open for further replies.