• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Drivers Required GTR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Termak

Hi people..I am trying to get my hands on any practice material I can get from any TOC. If anyone still has their practice material..would you please be kind enough to share..I have an assessment with another TOC and I believe any practice would help in my preparation. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

12guard4

Hi people..I am trying to get my hands on any practice material I can get from any TOC. If anyone still has their practice material..would you please be kind enough to share..I have an assessment with another TOC and I believe any practice would help in my preparation. Thank you.

When I did my testing I had to sign to confirm I had received the practise papers, as did everyone else, so if you have testing you too should be sent the practise papers. When you receive them you are given instructions not to redistribute them.

Termak

When I did my testing I had to sign to confirm I had received the practise papers, as did everyone else, so if you have testing you too should be sent the practise papers. When you receive them you are given instructions not to redistribute them.
If that's the case...as said my assessment is with a different TOC and yes I did receive their practice material...just wanted to get my hands on different material for more practice. Thought the practice material was just practice not the acrual assessment material itself.

Last edited:

donpoku

The practice material is adequate enough if you put the effort in. No need to overwhelm yourself with 'other' TOC materials.

Termak

The practice material is adequate enough if you put the effort in. No need to overwhelm yourself with 'other' TOC materials.
Will bear that in mind donpoku...after all I passed LU assessments, only failed on interview. Guess I should relax a bit..been practicing. Just don't want to lose this opportunity as well. Thanks.

Bigticket

Hi all, I applied for both positions GTR were recently recruiting trainee drivers for. I was asked to fill out the online questionnaires and while filling out the first one I noticed the notes about filling out multiple questionnaires and it stated that filling more than one questionnaire would void any and all so I decided just to fill one out and emailed the recruitment department to ask clarification.

I have had no reply since, and I have sent further desperate emails asking them if I had done something wrong but to no avail. Have I been black balled? Or am I just worrying over nothing, that they might just be taking their time before replying so that they have proper info for me? Feels like they've dropped me but it's unusual no communication at all while up until the questionnaires were sent, I had some friendly communication with good, quick replies from a certain member of their staff.

Thanks in advance guys

dth

Hey. I completed the online questionnaire too but all I can remember is just going through just the one but it did have around four parts to it. That was two weeks ago and I'm still waiting to hear the outcome. Have you tried calling them? Maybe via their head office.

Bigticket

Hi dth, thanks for the reply. I haven't called them because I'm afraid to pester them but I think I might give them a ring tomorrow. I got 2 questionnaires probably because I applied for both jobs, did you also apply for both?

I see there's a future vacancies opening up there so I might also apply for that.

dth

Hey. Yeah I'd give them a call. I'm sure they won't mind and it'll help put your mind at rest. It sounds like to me that you've done the right thing anyway and the questionnaires were probably the same so that's why you can't do it twice. I've just applied for the Northern routes and I've set up notifications for Southern.

Bigticket

Hi again guys, just got an email informing me I've been shortlisted to attend the assessment day.

I wonder if anyone else has any info on this; I have already passed the full selection process at another TOC within the last 2 years. Do you think GTR will spot this and clear me onto the next stage?

Great news to have received this morning :)

Good luck to all others on here awaiting a positive response.

Need2

Hi again guys, just got an email informing me I've been shortlisted to attend the assessment day.

I wonder if anyone else has any info on this; I have already passed the full selection process at another TOC within the last 2 years. Do you think GTR will spot this and clear me onto the next stage?

Great news to have received this morning :)

Good luck to all others on here awaiting a positive response.

I would try and ring them up at Go Ahead House in Croydon. GTR recruitment appears to be going mad at the moment and they seem snowed under.
I was in the same boat as having passed the assessments with another TOC.
Recruitment, however did contact me to say they knew this but I still had to attend for the DFFT as I had not done this with the other TOC.
Had my medical yesterday and start on the 8th May :D:D

Good luck

Class2ldn

Established Member
If you're starting with TL now then be prepared to work quite a few Sundays if the latest pay offer goes through

Need2

If you're starting with TL now then be prepared to work quite a few Sundays if the latest pay offer goes through

I was told Sundays were 'outside' and my contract that I have just received states that I will be paid a 'premium' for working Sundays. :D

westcoaster

Established Member
I was told Sundays were 'outside' and my contract that I have just received states that I will be paid a 'premium' for working Sundays. :D

If the new pay deal is accepted drivers will need to work X amount of sundays per quarter, and X amount a year. Sundays are still out though, and sunday pay is in addition to base rate.

332 > 444

I was given a start date of 17/5 for GN side but I haven't even done my medical yet or handed in my notice! These guys want me in quicktime but to be fair I had re-applied on 28/1/16 and was only contacted late feb, and passing my interview last week they gave me a start date.

Are there still people from the 2015 campaign waiting to be allocated courses still?

westcoaster

Established Member
I was given a start date of 17/5 for GN side but I haven't even done my medical yet or handed in my notice! These guys want me in quicktime but to be fair I had re-applied on 28/1/16 and was only contacted late feb, and passing my interview last week they gave me a start date.

Are there still people from the 2015 campaign waiting to be allocated courses still?

I take it you are quallified driver not a trainee.

332 > 444

I take it you are quallified driver not a trainee.

Trainee, I failed my DMI back in 2015. Re-took last week and passed, I asked about the depot re-shuffle and was told more than likely I'd be shipped off to Hornsey as that will be operational by the time I pass out (god willing). I assume it's still GN only routes I'd sign or would I be down for 700 TL work too?

the MM

Hi, i applied for the great northern Train driver trainee position. i also received the GTR questionnaire and completed it feeling confident. i am still awaiting a reply almost 3 weeks later and am worried i missed an email or something. i gave them a quick message last night and hope they can clarify things for me. BIGTICKET, was that the great northern application you got an assessment date for or thameslink?

Bigticket

Hi the MM, I applied for both positions and was given questionnaires for both but I think I might have messed up because I then only completed one questionnaire thinking if I completed both they would be rejected.
The questionnaires mentions doing multiples gets them rejected, and after trying to communicate and getting no reply I just went with my decision to do 1.

I have received the good news about reaching the next stage for GTR/1403 which is the Ashford job application. I believe that's a Southern depot which is being created as part of the restructuring so I'm likely to be working for Southern if I get through, which I am delighted about.

westcoaster

Established Member
Hi the MM, I applied for both positions and was given questionnaires for both but I think I might have messed up because I then only completed one questionnaire thinking if I completed both they would be rejected.
The questionnaires mentions doing multiples gets them rejected, and after trying to communicate and getting no reply I just went with my decision to do 1.

I have received the good news about reaching the next stage for GTR/1403 which is the Ashford job application. I believe that's a Southern depot which is being created as part of the restructuring so I'm likely to be working for Southern if I get through, which I am delighted about.

Southern do not have a depot at ashford, you will work for TL at a newly created TL depot.

If the new pay deal is accepted drivers will need to work X amount of sundays per quarter, and X amount a year. Sundays are still out though, and sunday pay is in addition to base rate.

Out of interest, what is the pay deal being offered ? I am 1 month into my training , employed by GTR for Gillingham Depot , but am doing my Rules , traction and DI training with SouthEastern. So haven't heard anything about the current pay deal negotiations.

westcoaster

Established Member
Out of interest, what is the pay deal being offered ? I am 1 month into my training , employed by GTR for Gillingham Depot , but am doing my Rules , traction and DI training with SouthEastern. So haven't heard anything about the current pay deal negotiations.

When you go out front ending, just ask the driver kindly. Im sure they will explain all, im sure your aware its not really the place to be talking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.