• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Drivers (Talent Bank) - Avanti - Multiple Locations (02/10/22)

Aviator88

Euston here as well mate. Not too worried about a long wait myself to be honest, happy I’ve made it into the talent pool and it’s with the TOC that I wanted. I won’t be putting in back up applications even if it does take a long while.

Fingers crossed we get dates soon evening the dates are a while away just so we can manage expectations and plan ahead.

When did you have your interview/ find out you were in the talent pool?

Hi mate - I only had my interview a few days ago so I'm still flying around in the post-DMI holding pattern! Will update as soon as I receive a response.

I'm of much the same mindset - if I'm successful, I'd love a start date this year but I'd be expecting 2024 now, especially seeing how quickly the courses are filling up this year! I'll have waited ten years for the opportunity, so what's another 12 months or so, right? 8-)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Shinigami

Hi mate - I only had my interview a few days ago so I'm still flying around in the post-DMI holding pattern! Will update as soon as I receive a response.

I'm of much the same mindset - if I'm successful, I'd love a start date this year but I'd be expecting 2024 now, especially seeing how quickly the courses are filling up this year! I'll have waited ten years for the opportunity, so what's another 12 months or so, right? 8-)
Ah nice one mate. Best of luck to you. I’m Sure you did fine if you’ve come this far. That’s actually good news cause hopefully this means you’re one of the last interviews that needed to be conducted before they start looking at start dates.

And I’m of the same mind. I’m expecting 2024 at the earliest. You never know with these talent pools, can be 2 years or more. 2025 might be on the cards as well considering how many applicants they have. Only reason I’m expecting it slightly sooner is due to the fact that there is a new recruitment drive that started this year so it seems that they are looking to get people started.

Thanks for keeping us updated

Last edited:

GLENMAYE77

How do you feel your interview went?

My family member can’t gauge there’s

Shinigami

I’ll be honest with you, I was pretty confident going in and just as confident coming out. Admittedly, I’m petty good with interviews as I used to be a manager and I know what kinds of questions to ask at the end that might give me some sort of indication.

I know it’s not really what you’d like to hear as it doesn’t help the person that’s feeling unsure but that’s the truth.

I’d say I knew about the NTS, the company and it’s future plans as well as what makes a good driver. I did miss some bits like I forgot exactly how many of (x) there were in total (but only guessed it wrong by a few).

I said something embarrassing like national rail instead of network rail as well but other than those few things it went pretty well. I know quite a bit about the company, stations they operate out of etc.

Most importantly, I believe I gave a hood and honest reason as to why I would want to work there.

The people that interviewed me were very nice and it felt a lot more like a conversation than an interview for me.

They did pry for more information a few times which I ended up providing for them as I knew it but nerves probably stopped it from coming to my mind immediately.

Not sure if that’s helpful in anyway but that was my experience

Aviator88

I have to say, my experience was almost identical to what Shinigami has said above. I felt confident going in, felt very comfortable talking to them (more a reflection on them than me), and left feeling good overall. I forgot a couple of minor points but made sure I knew the key details about the company, rolling stock, where they go, a little bit about the new trains etc. Oh, and I made sure I did my research on NTS, as per the Email!

The only negative part of the experience was the medium of the interview itself - we had semi-regular signal drop outs, but this was briefed prior and we got through it with some basic hand signals...!

All that being said, it's impossible to predict the results of these type of things - I've sat interviews that I thought went poorly in the past but where I was actually successful, and vice versa.

As I always say, until the Email lands...

GLENMAYE77

They researched all the parts you guys have but mentioned one of the interviews was very stone faced so gauging a reaction was very awkward. The other person was very relaxed.

I’m sure they are overthinking things as they said they’ve answered each question and details they’ve given match the criteria of the answer I’d expect to be given.

sure all will become clear in the next week or so.

Aviator88

They researched all the parts you guys have but mentioned one of the interviews was very stone faced so gauging a reaction was very awkward. The other person was very relaxed.

I’m sure they are overthinking things as they said they’ve answered each question and details they’ve given match the criteria of the answer I’d expect to be given.

sure all will become clear in the next week or so.

I was told at the start of the interview that one of them would be asking the bulk of the questions whilst the other would be taking a lot of notes.

May I be so bold as to agree that they may be (understandably) overthinking something, because it's obviously very important to them?

GLENMAYE77

I was told at the start of the interview that one of them would be asking the bulk of the questions whilst the other would be taking a lot of notes.

May I be so bold as to agree that they may be (understandably) overthinking something, because it's obviously very important to them?

That’s what I’m thinking……people always focus on the possible negatives with these things. Kick yourself when you’ve been prodded about the odd answer you’ve dwelled and needed a little guidance on because you’re not expecting the question worded in a certain way.

Shinigami

That’s what I’m thinking……people always focus on the possible negatives with these things. Kick yourself when you’ve been prodded about the odd answer you’ve dwelled and needed a little guidance on because you’re not expecting the question worded in a certain way.
We all do it. Despite how well my interview went, at day 3 I starting playing it back in my head, thinking about the things I missed and started panicking only to receive a pass the next day.

It’s perfectly normal. Fingers crossed for them but surely it will be fine if the research was done and questions answered within reason

st1995

I wouldnt worry about it, i felt like i couldve done so much better in the interview personally. I was told the interview was expected to last between 30 mins to an hour, my interview lasted 22 minutes.
I also didnt say to much about myself when asked "tell me about yourself" it was like i basically forgot who i actually was haha. Also whilst being prodded for more information on certain questions there was, on 2 occasion, i actually said thats all i know.
As you can imagine i left feeling quite disappointed aswell as almost certain i didnt make the cut.. but i got into the talent pool!!

Shinigami

I wouldnt worry about it, i felt like i couldve done so much better in the interview personally. I was told the interview was expected to last between 30 mins to an hour, my interview lasted 22 minutes.
I also didnt say to much about myself when asked "tell me about yourself" it was like i basically forgot who i actually was haha. Also whilst being prodded for more information on certain questions there was, on 2 occasion, i actually said thats all i know.
As you can imagine i left feeling quite disappointed aswell as almost certain i didnt make the cut.. but i got into the talent pool!!
The exact opposite of mind hahaha well done for pulling that off

Aviator88

Human nature - it's crazy how our brains try to sabotage our good reasoning, but it does show a good level of self criticism, which I'd argue is a good thing!

The exact opposite of mind hahaha well done for pulling that off

Same haha, good lord, I used the whole hour :D

rhys37429

Sat my DMI this week. So hopefully waiting to get a response next week to see if I passed or not.

Was told in the interview all spaces on courses have been taken for this year. So if successful course dates in 2024.

Shinigami

I’ve yet to hear of a single person come back and say they have failed the DMI thus far. I wonder if this is because everyone has passed of if those who have failed simply haven’t come back to the forum (which is understandable)

MatthewLdn

I’ve yet to hear of a single person come back and say they have failed the DMI thus far. I wonder if this is because everyone has passed of if those who have failed simply haven’t come back to the forum (which is understandable)
I remember there were a few on here who didn’t pass the dmi when I found out my result.

Jordan1991

There were 4-5 people who didn’t pass the DMI for Manc depot

Pdtraintrack

I was thinking the same.

I wonder how many people were being interviewed at DMI stage for each depot?

I suppose if you failed at the DMI you probably wouldn’t put it on a public forum.

Shinigami

There were 4-5 people who didn’t pass the DMI for Manc depot
Yeah I went back to have a read and I found 3 I believe. 1 for Euston and I think 2 for Manc.

I was thinking the same.

I wonder how many people were being interviewed at DMI stage for each depot?

I suppose if you failed at the DMI you probably wouldn’t put it on a public forum.
Yeah that was my assumption as well. Considering how many people had their DMi, there wasn’t a lot of people saying they failed. I get it though, probably just not bothering to come back onto the forum which is understandable

Sawasdee

Sat my DMI this week. So hopefully waiting to get a response next week to see if I passed or not.

Was told in the interview all spaces on courses have been taken for this year. So if successful course dates in 2024.
So the last course must be in August then unless others have been added to Autumn courses but not posted.

Shinigami

So the last course must be in August then unless others have been added to Autumn courses but not posted.
I think so. I haven’t been added to August though so I’m assuming that, unless they’ve booked people on it and not told them yet, everyone who hasn’t been given a date yet will be on no earlier than next year

Any DMI results for anyone this week?

Last edited:

Aviator88

I think so. I haven’t been added to August though so I’m assuming that, unless they’ve booked people on it and not told them yet, everyone who hasn’t been given a date yet will be on no earlier than next year

Any DMI results for anyone this week?

Still playing refresh!

Aviator88

Remember to check your junk and it could be at any time. A few of ours came through in the evening so keep your eyes peeled. Got my fingers crossed for you

My push notification settings were updated at the very start of this process!

Thanks mate, as promised I'll be calling here first when I get some news :)