• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trains becoming more boring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossover

Established Member
It may be because I am younger and don't remember as much of the previous LHCS stuff, but I still find some interest in the modern railway (though I have an interest in aspects other than the rolling stock anyway)

Where I have found things a little boring, however, is on the German S-Bahns, where everywhere has DB Class 423's...they seem to have taken over there worse than Pacers have taken over here :P

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
And if all the privatised operators had ordered from Washwood Heath..? I agree in principle but one can never be reliant on just one supplier.

That would be fantastic and provide plenty of jobs in an area not to far from me :D

Seriously though you're right of course although there is a difference between having standard parts/stock and ordering from a single supplier even if it would have to be mandated by the buyer (doesn't seem implausible)

Established Member
The railway scene is constantly changing, and this is one thing that attracts some enthusiasts to it. In my life (I'm just short of 17), I've seen the Crown Point 150s transferred away and replaced with 156s, the 317s supplemented with 379s (I now find the West Anglia Main Line a lot less interesting as a result, particularly at weekends!), the Stansted - Birmingham trains becoming 100% 170s rather than a mix of those and 158s. And then there's TOCs, I remember when my three locals were WAGN, CT and Anglia, rather than FCC, XC and GA!

The changing scene means there's always something new to photograph or something to have a few last rides on. My main interest is 2nd-generation units, such as 317s or 150s, and for me the railways will never be the same without the sounds of DC motors or Sprinter engines, but by the time all those classes have been withdrawn something new that I like may have popped up. I enjoyed riding on the 1967 and A Stock on the Underground during their last few months of operation, and am doing the same with C Stock currently. I also enjoyed riding a 379 and a 2009 Stock for the first time (as much as I dislike them!) because it was something new.

So overall I doubt I'll ever lose interest in the railways, simply because there's always something different to try out, or have a look at.

Bevan Price

Established Member
I'm sure enthusiasts were saying exactly the same thing at the end of steam, but some enthusiasts managed to adjust to diesels (although yes, some packed it in), and we're at a similar crossroads now, just with units being the new guard, and I expect many enthusiasts will/have given up.

True - I was one of them. We hated the diesels that were replacing our Duchesses, Royal Scots, Britannias, Black 5s, etc. DMUs were called sardine cans, because they crammed in too many passengers - but in retrospect that had much more room than many current formations - you even got 6 or 9 car Class 104 formations on some Manchester - Blackpool services. Rather than give up railways, I gradually transferred my interest to diesel & electric locos, with occasional visits to steam preservation centres, and for several years a steam-based trip to Europe with the LCGB.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
My spotting days ended in 1984 when I headed off to university. I grew up in Derby and whilst much of what I spotted was predictable, the railway was undoubtedly a more interesting place. Up until the mid 80's, in Derbyshire alone Shirebrook, Barrow Hill, Westhouses , Buxton and Derby holding sidings would be packed full of loco's at weekends. And that's before you the mention the mighty Toton in Notts, or Coalville just over the border. Or Bescot, Saltley and Leicester; all packed at weekends and easy to access.

It's also worth mentioning the variety of trains that could be seen at the time. Just about all long distance trains were in the hands of loco's or HST's, especially after the intercity DMU's were withdrawn. Class 20's on summer Saturday turns to Skegness, class 31's running through the Hope Valley and between Norwich and Birmingham. Every major station had a class 08 station pilot. Not to mention all the unfitted freight that was still running. Or the Friday night reliefs with ancient looking mk1's. Or the parcels traffic!

Back then, 'spotters living north of the Thames had no need to spot DMU's because there were loco's everywhere. And I've not even mentioned Crewe! I’m sorry but as a 46 year old I just don’t see the attraction of the modern day railway to ‘spotters but I always look up when a train passes. With a history of career railway men in the family it’s in the blood!

Memories....... New Order anyone?

Last edited:

D6975

Established Member
I laughed out load when I read this bit...

we still have:-
large numbers of LHCS trains

Loco hauled is almost a thing of the past.
There are large areas of the network that don't see any at all, and I'm not talking about backwaters here but big mainline stations.
I live in Bristol and you can sit on TM all day and you won't see a single loco hauled passenger train.

As an example, I did a NW rover back in 1990 and did 1411 miles loco hauled, 273 on units.
I did one in 2011 and did 1503 miles, all on units.
Indeed there was only one loco hauled diagram that the rover was valid on at the time, namely the Leeds-Bradford leg of the evening KGX - Bradford service.

Another good example is the fact that the full list of loco hauled services used to be published as a book, remember 1H82 etc...
Nowadays you can fit them on a single sheet of A4.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Loco hauled is almost a thing of the past.
There are large areas of the network that don't see any at all, and I'm not talking about backwaters here but big mainline stations.
I live in Bristol and you can sit on TM all day and you won't see a single loco hauled passenger train

Plenty of Class 43 hauled trains at Temple Meads?

(can opened, worms everywhere :lol: )

PR1Berske

Established Member
It can be summed up with one, uncomfortable sentence.

"You are getting older."

Music isn't as good as it used to be. Comedians aren't as funny as they used to be. Clothes don't fit like they used to. Trains aren't as nice as they once were.

D6975

Established Member

"You are getting older."

Music isn't as good as it used to be. Comedians aren't as funny as they used to be. Clothes don't fit like they used to. Trains aren't as nice as they once were.

:D:D

I realised that a couple of years ago when I was looking up the enrolment details of two students who I referred to as 'the 2 girls who come in on a wednesday morning'. They turned out to be 34 and 35....

tbtc

Veteran Member

"You are getting older."

:D:D

I realised that a couple of years ago when I was looking up the enrolment details of two students who I referred to as 'the 2 girls who come in on a wednesday morning'. They turned out to be 34 and 35....

There are teenagers walking the planet who were born in the 2000s. This scares me!

Established Member
Looking to the future, I don't think trains are becoming more boring - even in the passenger railway there is massive variety in the MU fleets and I'm sure there is more variety to come with Desiro City, Bombardier Aventra etc.

The freight scene is constantly changing too - 5 years ago I could not have foreseen the arrival of the Class 70s, the Class 68s for DRS etc.

It would be nice if there was some more loco haulage around, but unfortunately they are overlooked by many TOCs (except Chiltern who have paved the way by re-introducing Mark 3s to their route).
As has been said before on here, If you want to do some loco haulage mileage go to your local heritage line.

Change happens and we just have to adjust to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.