• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trains that never get to top speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mumrar

Established Member
The 158s and 170s onthe Glasgow Queen St High level to anniesland is a line where they dont get anywhere near top speed.

That as maybe, the thread is not about routes where trains don't reach top speed as there'd be a lot more answers, it's classes of unit/loco that never reach their top speed in their current working life. Otherwise it would be a piece of p!$$ to say that Exeter-Penzance is one of the worst offending mainline routes as HSTs get nowhwere near 125mph and are pegged at half that for long sections too.

anonymous0101

The top permitted speed is 90mph, all 323s are now fitted with a traction cutout which can vary when activated between 89-96 mph until you drop to 85-87mph and can reapply traction. Before these limiters where fitted it was easy to run at just over 100mph on empty stock services to Coventry. On one occassion when it was Press and VIP only day at the British Motor Show, we had an afternoon empty stock Cov-New St and went through International at over 80mph @around 16:00, the poshies were all bitch-slapped by the litter dropped in the four-foot in a strangely satisfying manner. Thereafter speed limits were imposed on empty stocks in sociable hours at International.

Mumrar how do you know the 323's have a traction cut out? Are you a driver? The 323s permitted top speed is 90 mph. A driver may choose to do 92 mph but the units top speed is still 90.

mumrar

Established Member
Mumrar how do you know the 323's have a traction cut out? Are you a driver? The 323s permitted top speed is 90 mph. A driver may choose to do 92 mph but the units top speed is still 90.
The top permitted speed is 90mph - that is the very first bit of what I posted. I'm not a driver but I know plenty through my work who are, and I have worked on the units daily from 1997-2007 and know them inside out. I checked the info with one of the drivers first, which is where I got the 89-96 mph figure from, and he works extremely closely with Soho LMD on the 323s and knows far too much about them. Anyway, seeing as you know so much about me, and are posting under the username anonymous why not tell us all a little bit about yourself too :D :D

anonymous0101

The top permitted speed is 90mph - that is the very first bit of what I posted. I'm not a driver but I know plenty through my work who are, and I have worked on the units daily from 1997-2007 and know them inside out. I checked the info with one of the drivers first, which is where I got the 89-96 mph figure from, and he works extremely closely with Soho LMD on the 323s and knows far too much about them. Anyway, seeing as you know so much about me, and are posting under the username anonymous why not tell us all a little bit about yourself too :D :D

Fair enough Mumrar. I'm an ex-guard myself and on SET there is nothing to stop the 375s going past their official top speed of 100 mph or 465s from exceeding 75 mph. Have you ever thought about going for the Drivers position?

me123

Established Member
That's what I mean though, are they actually able to get up to 100 between stations before they have to slow down again?

Well, as I said, the expresses to Dunbar will definitely give them that opportunity nowadays!

mumrar

Established Member
Fair enough Mumrar. I'm an ex-guard myself and on SET there is nothing to stop the 375s going past their official top speed of 100 mph or 465s from exceeding 75 mph. Have you ever thought about going for the Drivers position?

When I last applied there was a restriction against my heart murmur, however, times have changed and there no longer is, so I'll have to apply when I next can I think, 13 years as a guard is enough LOL

tbtc

Veteran Member
I'm smiling at the thought that a Pacer can travel faster than Jeremy Clarkson in a souped-up sports car on the Motorway (legally)

lm321412

153s on the Stoubridge Branchline???

I know they don't work the line anymore but still they never got up to topspeed.

starrymarkb

Established Member
That as maybe, the thread is not about routes where trains don't reach top speed as there'd be a lot more answers, it's classes of unit/loco that never reach their top speed in their current working life. Otherwise it would be a piece of p!$$ to say that Exeter-Penzance is one of the worst offending mainline routes as HSTs get nowhwere near 125mph and are pegged at half that for long sections too.

I believe Plymouth to Truro* is 70 mph max with a lot of 50/60mph limits - west of Truro is 75mph

There is one stretch of 100mph running from Exeter to Exminster, there are a few bits of 90mph as far as Newton Abbot then I believe the next fastish stretch is on the outskirts of Plymouth

*it might be Cambourne I can't remember

CarterUSM

Established Member
That's what I mean though, are they actually able to get up to 100 between stations before they have to slow down again?

They get up to 100mph from Carstairs to Carluke no problem, then 95 most of the way from Carstairs to mid calder jct, i think they utilise their top speed pretty well :)

The_Stig

I'm going to have to disagree with you - everything I've seen suggests 334s are 90(145).

http://www.therailwaycentre.com/Recognition Tech Data EMU/EMU_334.html

That is wrong in a couple of things, including the top speed.

1.- It says that the 334's have 8 x Alstom Onix traction motors. The 334 has only four traction motors.

2.- The 'horsepower' rating is (I assuming) all four motors together. It is actually higher than stated there if so.

3. Not too sure as to why the bogies on the DMOS vehicles would be different as well. I would need to research further.

455driver

Veteran Member
That is wrong in a couple of things, including the top speed..
Is that design speed or maximum speed? most of the Junipers have a design speed of 100mph but a maximum of 90mph.

1.- It says that the 334's have 8 x Alstom Onix traction motors. The 334 has only four traction motors.
correct
.- 2.-The 'horsepower' rating is (I assuming) all four motors together. It is actually higher than stated there if so..
4x 270kw= 1080kw

.3.- Not too sure as to why the bogies on the DMOS vehicles would be different as well. I would need to research further.
Outer bogies on the DMOS are unpowered but have the AWS receiver, inner bogies are powered. the PTSO bogies are unpowered and dont have the AWS bits.

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
The DMOS(A) and DMOS (B) both have a LTB3 at the cab end (un-powered) and a MB3 at the inner end (powered).

What is the power output of the motors then, you have stated twice it is wrong but have not furnished us with the info (or a link).

The_Stig

The DMOS(A) and DMOS (B) both have a LTB3 at the cab end (un-powered) and a MB3 at the inner end (powered).

What is the power output of the motors then, you have stated twice it is wrong but have not furnished us with the info (or a link).

I cannot provide a link but it is greater by more than 50KW.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The 139s have a maximum speed of 45mph; I'm sure they would never get anywhere near that given the short length of the only route they are used on...

brad465

Established Member
The Class 395 javelin only travels at 125mph on most services, it reaches max 140mph if it is running late at all :(

MCR247

Established Member
126mph actually so it can still maintain the fastest domestic UK service title ;)

anonymous0101

Sorry guys that's out of date. They do 140 all the time. But I know that instruction was written somewhere!

507 001

Established Member
I've just remembered.... 142's quite often reach 75mph on the Liverpool - Manchester, if they are rostered to work a L Lime St - Man Airport. If they aren't booked to stop at Huyton they can quite easily do linespeed over huyton junction (again not a pleasant experience) and between Newton Le Willows and Eccles, something which I have done and is very Bumpy!

There may also be a couple of places on the Atherton Line If running express wigan wallgate-Manchester Vic but I'm not sure

I'm sure the services are timed for 126mph running though

Yes, the timetables are timed for 126mph running, but the Javelin's now do 140 where possible/allowed all the time now. Hence why most of the time they are early arriving at St Pancras.

No link, cos there isn't one.

matchmaker

Established Member
A 170 on any Scotrail local service that also uses 156's - as it will be timed for 75 mph maximum................(although I once timed a 156 hitting 87mph between Stirling & Larbert :o)

boing_uk

I've just remembered.... 142's quite often reach 75mph on the Liverpool - Manchester

As I presume they do if running non-stop between Kirkham and Preston... which is fun bouncing over the pointwork at Salwick on the Up Fylde.

mumrar

Established Member
A 170 on any Scotrail local service that also uses 156's - as it will be timed for 75 mph maximum................(although I once timed a 156 hitting 87mph between Stirling & Larbert :o)

Why do people keep corrupting this thread with rubbish like this? 170s do reach 100mph, that is the bottom line, none of this when running A-B with an XXX attached rubbish. Otherwise I can just finish the entire thread by saying nothing reaches it's top speed when on the depot (except 08&09s).

Status
Not open for further replies.