• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trains told to get rid of torrent of 'Tannoy spam'

Status
Not open for further replies.

On Moderation
Not sure if mentioned already but maidenhead station has a constant loop of "passengers are reminded to take care on the staircase"
It plays about 4 times in the time it takes me to walk up the staircase
Slough has the same. I assume there is a PIR motion detector that triggers the announcement/drivel.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mmh

Established Member
"Everything which is not forbidden is allowed." Unless you tell people not to do it then they will. Simple manners such as keeping your feet off the seat shouldn't be required but we live in a culture where people will do whatever they wish with the attitude of you cant tell me what to do and/or there isn't anything telling me I can't.
That's not really true though. The big example of it not being is smoking. It's no longer necessary to have no smoking signs to prevent it, and enforcement is exceptionally rarely needed - it polices itself.

al78

Established Member
That's not really true though. The big example of it not being is smoking. It's no longer necessary to have no smoking signs to prevent it, and enforcement is exceptionally rarely needed - it polices itself.
Smoking bans are so widespread and have been in place for so long that it is now part of normality that you cannot smoke indoors in a public place, and smokers deal with it. On a train, it is much harder to get away with smoking. Some people do believe anything goes if they can get away with it, to hell with any externalised costs, which is why we have rules in place to provide grounds for penalising such people and as a deterrant. It is necessary for example to have speed limit signs on the roads with penalties for breaching those rules.

eldomtom2

On Moderation
Well, speed limit signs aren't just for those who ignore them - you wouldn't know what the safe speed for an unfamilar road would be without them.

mmh

Established Member
Well, speed limit signs aren't just for those who ignore them - you wouldn't know what the safe speed for an unfamilar road would be without them.
Umm, if there are no speed limit signs - there aren't on the majority of roads - you do know what the speed limit on them is. Also, the speed limit is not the "safe speed."

Howardh

Established Member
That's because they vary, whereas rules on trains are static.
Saying that though, aren't there dry trains in Scotland, so as an Englander unfamiliar I would need informing? Frequent messages would be annoying spam to a Scot!!

mmh

Established Member
That's because they vary, whereas rules on trains are static.
Saying that though, aren't there dry trains in Scotland, so as an Englander unfamiliar I would need informing? Frequent messages would be annoying spam to a Scot!!
There are dry trains in England - TFL and Merseyrail.

Howardh

Established Member
There are dry trains in England - TFL and Merseyrail.
Yes, but is this announced? Also footy specials of course. NB I didn't know either were dry, the TFL one would have caught me out unless I was made aware at the station or getting on.

mmh

Established Member
Yes, but is this announced? Also footy specials of course. NB I didn't know either were dry, the TFL one would have caught me out unless I was made aware at the station or getting on.
In my experience on TFL it's not enforced at all. When it was introduced there was the usual TFL poster overload campaign, but it seems to have been given up on. On Merseyrail there are signs on trains and the guards do sometimes enforce it, they did once at least when I was travelling from a football match at Southport. (Unlike many of the people I was with I didn't want to drink on it though. I am not a fan of trains without toilets...)

HORNIMANS

In my experience on TFL it's not enforced at all. When it was introduced there was the usual TFL poster overload campaign, but it seems to have been given up on. On Merseyrail there are signs on trains and the guards do sometimes enforce it, they did once at least when I was travelling from a football match at Southport. (Unlike many of the people I was with I didn't want to drink on it though. I am not a fan of trains without toilets...)
been travelling round devon last week.
Ist ] please do not feed the pigeons on the station.
2nd endless announcements about Tactile tiles on the platform there isn't any. Both at Exeter st Davids.

ExRes

Established Member
been travelling round devon last week.
Ist ] please do not feed the pigeons on the station.

Nothing wrong with that, there are still far too many morons who need to be told not to feed these filthy pests while disregarding the mess they make, the best place for a pigeon I ever found was the windscreen of an HST

XAM2175

Established Member
Because most people don't do it and the morons that do will carry on regardless?
The adjective baffling is usually taken to mean something like "impossible for someone to understand or explain". Does this apply to the no-feet-on-seats announcement, or is it just that you don't think there's any value in doing it?

Bikeman78

Established Member
The adjective baffling is usually taken to mean something like "impossible for someone to understand or explain". Does this apply to the no-feet-on-seats announcement, or is it just that you don't think there's any value in doing it?
I understand the words but I don't think there's any value in doing it. I think that's what the other poster meant.

kevjs

Umm, if there are no speed limit signs - there aren't on the majority of roads - you do know what the speed limit on them is. Also, the speed limit is not the "safe speed."
If you are driving a car then the national speed limit is 60 mph on single carriageway roads (both directions not physically separated) and 70 mph on dual carriageway roads, and 30 mph in built up areas (different limits apply for lorries and if towing). Part of the highway code and your driving lessons / test. Other speed limits require repeaters to remind you.

greyman42

Established Member
It's very rare these days in my experience. But so are trains where you can put your feet on seats.
It is not rare at all in my experience and you can put your feet on seats on nearly all trains if you are that way inclined.

Status
Not open for further replies.