• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trains You Would Love To See On Your Local Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChilternHenry

Doesnt have to be extreemly serious, but feel free to state a case as to why you think they should be there if you want it to be taken seriously. In my case, my local line is the Chiltern Mainline, would love to see a mix of class 222s on the express trains with the 67 loco hauled sets. (yes i know, waste of a 125mph capable train on a line which can only do 100, but maybe when the get a bit older in life they could be re-geared?) Anyway, your turn now folks...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Re: the OP's local line. 20-odd years ago, I lived near - and used - the Chiltern. Back in the day when, if you planned your journey right, you had a comfy Mk1 compartment and 47 haulage to and from London, not a grimy 115. Better acceleration with 5 coaches, too.

My local route now is SouthWestern. I use a car to commute but, on my occasional rail travel into London, I would give my left buttock for a comfier seat than a 444 or 450...

GNER 373

ECML between DHM and NCL...

373's, 390's (seen one of these at NCL last year) and 395's. all high speed!

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
The nearest line to me is the Rochdale Town Centre extension of Metrolink.

The curves on it look sharp, but no worse than say Goole or Chatham Docks.

So howzabout ex-L&YR "pug" 51218 to do the honours on opening day? Even with open wagons and wooden benches it will still be an improvement in comfort over an M5000 series tram.

And as 06003 is also a short-wheelbase dock device, it can come and play as well...

ert47

I live not to far from Selhurst Depot on the BML. Always wanted to see a Networker down these ends - a couple of years ago, there were rumours of one being transferred to Southern and I think one actually made it to the depot.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
My local line is Standedge, and it'd be nice to see HSTs on TPEX services and 172s on the locals. But then again in a few years I'd have the option of 91+MK4 sets or Bendydildos on the expresses and 380s on the stoppers!

ChilternHenry

My local line is Standedge, and it'd be nice to see HSTs on TPEX services and 172s on the locals. But then again in a few years I'd have the option of 91+MK4 sets or Bendydildos on the expresses and 380s on the stoppers!

Im going to have to press you for a subclass in terms of the 172s. Personally, I think the London midland ones look better than London overground and Chiltern ones! Mind you, I have a soft spot for electrostars

rf_ioliver

Well, as I used to live in South Wales and now with the proposed electrification, maybe some modern EMUs, eg: 334s on the Valleys. Or even 158/175s running the HOWL services?

Here in sunny Finland, I'd like to see the Porvoo-Kerava line reopened to passengers o anything would do there :)

Ian

D6975

Established Member
I'd like to see a relatively modest improvement - Cardiff-Portsmouth line trains with sufficient coaches to cater for the level of use.

Aictos

Established Member
Well I like to see something resembling 378s on the line I work on and 380s in a mix of 444 and existing 380 layouts to work outer suburban services.

High Dyke

Established Member
I'd like to see a relatively modest improvement - Cardiff-Portsmouth line trains with sufficient coaches to cater for the level of use.
If it wasn't for the loading guage i'd go for hauled set and DB Class 218 or a modern equivalent in the TRAXX loco

Attachments

• 09-d-1089.jpg
    09-d-1089.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 110

tsr

Established Member
I'd like to see 460s back on the Gatwick Express route (pretty much wholly, completely and utterly impossible, unless more are built) and probably fast BML services. Perhaps also a dual-voltage variant (hmmm...) on a reinstated fast Rugby-Gatwick Airport/Brighton service (paths permitting). Maybe that's just me.

Maybe also 378s on the Caterham & Tattenham Corner branches, but with modifications such as some S8-style seating and corridor connections (for the peaks, when they might be coupled up until Purley).

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Well, on what used to be my local line, I still can't get used to seeing pointy-nosed high speed things squealing round the 15/20mph curves at Strood. They're a very welcome addition for when I'm visiting family.

Where I am now, anything with eight wheels per coach would be nice.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
ECML expresses hauled by Deltics and 47's, semi-fast's and stoppers hauled by 31's & 37's, 45's on the Trans-pennines, slam door DMU's on the Tyneside loop, double headed 50's on the WCML and Westerns on the GW main line please....oh and everything blue & grey!

Established Member
pacers coming out of platform 5 at manchester oxford road are enough to make non enthusiasts ht them!

HSTEd

Veteran Member
444s and 3-car 379s on all secondary routes.

Under lots of brand new overhead wiring.

swcovas

Well, as I used to live in South Wales and now with the proposed electrification, maybe some modern EMUs, eg: 334s on the Valleys. Or even 158/175s running the HOWL services?

Here in sunny Finland, I'd like to see the Porvoo-Kerava line reopened to passengers o anything would do there :)

Ian

I too would love tom see 158 or 175 on HOWL, preferably on a limited stop service. Unfortunately because of a couple of "quirky" restrictions they are not passed on the line.

RichJF

Class 92 finally cleared on the Redhill-Tonbridge line. So I can stand at Redhill & watch them power through the two fast tracks on the way to the Chunnel.

That, plus class 442 doing a Victoria - Ashford service via the 'Old Road' through Redhill.

tsr

Established Member
Class 92 finally cleared on the Redhill-Tonbridge line. So I can stand at Redhill & watch them power through the two fast tracks on the way to the Chunnel.

That, plus class 442 doing a Victoria - Ashford service via the 'Old Road' through Redhill.

First point: yes please!

Second point: oh joy, more breakdowns...

Established Member
365s and 379s replaced with BR112s with RE160 coaches, and 170s replaced by BR218s on 'Silberlingen' coaches. I wish...

(Post was made tongue in cheek, before anyone starts harping on about loading gauge et al!)

Limiting it to UK stock, I'd happily swap the 365s and 379s for more 317s or 321s! And it would be nice to have the Crown Point 150s back, to work the Cambridge - Ipswich trains like when I was a kid.

Last edited:

Trainfan344

Established Member
Class 170 with Seating like that found on the caledonian sleeper. (Lowestoft to Norwich/Ipswich)

sprinterguy

Established Member
If it wasn't for the loading guage i'd go for hauled set and DB Class 218 or a modern equivalent in the TRAXX loco
Continuing down that sort of road, where loading gauge isn't an issue, I would love to see, in the place of London Midland's 350s, 5 or 6-car rakes of the Bombardier double-deck stock that are used by DB Regio and by the Swiss in their IC2000 sets, hauled by either Bombardier TRAXX electric locos (DB Class 146) or Swiss Re 460s. I particularly like the "corner lounges" and the semi-compartment sections that they have on the upper deck of the Swiss sets, but just in general, the German and Swiss double deckers are superb regional trains!

And in the place of the Pendolinos on the West Coast, I'd want to see 9/11-car Railjet rakes of Siemens Viaggio Comfort coaching stock hauled by Siemens Taurus electric locos, and 7-car rakes of the same operating on Crosscountry hauled by diesel TRAXX locos.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
If we can ignore loading gauge restrictions.....

TGV Duplexes and FLIRTs everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.