• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TrainSplit not showing cheapest fares Edinburgh-Glasgow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABB125

Established Member
TrainSplit doesn't appear to be showing super off peak fares between Edinburgh and Glasgow. According to BRfares, there is a super off peak day return priced at £6.85 as well as an off peak day return at £9.35 (both railcard prices).
CrossCountry will offer the £6.85 fare, as shown below:
1662456861841.png
TrainSplit doesn't:
1662456907935.png
Both these searches are for today.

I can't see any reason for this: the super off peak restrictions are "not before 1100", "not boarding in Edinburgh, Glasgow or Aberdeen 1500-2000" and "not at weekends". None of these conditions are fulfilled, so I can't see why TrainSplit isn't offering the cheaper fare.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
TrainSplit doesn't appear to be showing super off peak fares between Edinburgh and Glasgow. According to BRfares, there is a super off peak day return priced at £6.85 as well as an off peak day return at £9.35 (both railcard prices).
CrossCountry will offer the £6.85 fare, as shown below:
View attachment 120377
TrainSplit doesn't:
View attachment 120378
Both these searches are for today.

I can't see any reason for this: the super off peak restrictions are "not before 1100", "not boarding in Edinburgh, Glasgow or Aberdeen 1500-2000" and "not at weekends". None of these conditions are fulfilled, so I can't see why TrainSplit isn't offering the cheaper fare.
I think the Super Off-Peak Day Return is, in ScotRail's infinite wisdom, only 'supposed' to be fulfilled on smartcard. Which fulfilment options is XC (Trainline) offering?

OscarH

Just to confirm, we've had a look, the ticket type can be fulfilled as an eTicket on some flows, but this isn't one of them, and it can never be fulfilled by TOD, so its impossible for us to retail unfortunately

XAM2175

Established Member
I think the Super Off-Peak Day Return is, in ScotRail's infinite wisdom, only 'supposed' to be fulfilled on smartcard. Which fulfilment options is XC (Trainline) offering?
Well that explains it then!
Can it be bought on, for example, GTR or South Western Railway websites that offer smartcard fulfillment?
Yes, ScotRail Super Off-Peak singles and returns can only be fulfilled to smartcard or mTicket:

ScotRail's own website and app will sell them, and they're also available from SR ticket offices and TVMs (though in the case of the latter you have to choose the "smartcard tickets" option on the home screen, as they won't be offered through the normal vending process). I've only ever loaded them to SR and SPT smartcards, so I can't give any guidance on whether ITSO cards from other providers will work.

Of course, the standard advice of "it's very rarely necessary to buy flexible tickets in advance" applies.

ABB125

Established Member
Yes, ScotRail Super Off-Peak singles and returns can only be fulfilled to smartcard or mTicket:

ScotRail's own website and app will sell them, and they're also available from SR ticket offices and TVMs (though in the case of the latter you have to choose the "smartcard tickets" option on the home screen, as they won't be offered through the normal vending process). I've only ever loaded them to SR and SPT smartcards, so I can't give any guidance on whether ITSO cards from other providers will work.

Of course, the standard advice of "it's very rarely necessary to buy flexible tickets in advance" applies.
Interesting - thanks. I'll see what I can find when I get to EDB.

I don't think I've used m-tickets before (as opposed to e-tickets) - do they limit the flexibility of a flexible ticket (ie: you must travel on the service you selected when booking)?

XAM2175

Established Member
I don't think I've used m-tickets before (as opposed to e-tickets) - do they limit the flexibility of a flexible ticket (ie: you must travel on the service you selected when booking)?
No, it's the same ticket with the same rights, but in the hateful needs-the-retailers-app-and-has-to-be-activated-before-use-and-remains-locked-to-the-one-device format that has rightfully earned so much ire here over the years. You may be familiar with it from bus company ticketing apps.

That said, on a short and uncomplicated journey such as you're planning the odds of having bother with it are very small and the saving over the CDR is very significant, so it's probably worth suspending the usual scorn for infrequent use.

ABB125

Established Member
No, it's the same ticket with the same rights, but in the hateful needs-the-retailers-app-and-has-to-be-activated-before-use-and-remains-locked-to-the-one-device format that has rightfully earned so much ire here over the years. You may be familiar with it from bus company ticketing apps.

That said, on a short and uncomplicated journey such as you're planning the odds of having bother with it are very small and the saving over the CDR is very significant, so it's probably worth suspending the usual scorn for infrequent use.
I'll see what happens with an m-ticket. Thanks!

miklcct

On Moderation
I'll see what happens with an m-ticket. Thanks!
The problem as discussed on the forum repeatedly over time is that it shows on the app as expired before it actually expires, which may cause a huge trouble when using it.

ABB125

Established Member
Why is scotrail making this so complicated?
Presumably to "encourage" smartcard use?

Anyway, I tried to buy an m-ticket using the Scotrail app. It didn't work ("no delivery options available"). Yet if you go to the mobile version of their website, it says something along the lines of "m-ticket only, delivered to you smartphone app". :rolleyes:
I didn't have time to mess around with stuff, so I just got a normal off peak ticket from a ticket machine instead.

philthetube

Established Member
Presumably to "encourage" smartcard use?

Anyway, I tried to buy an m-ticket using the Scotrail app. It didn't work ("no delivery options available"). Yet if you go to the mobile version of their website, it says something along the lines of "m-ticket only, delivered to you smartphone app". :rolleyes:
I didn't have time to mess around with stuff, so I just got a normal off peak ticket from a ticket machine instead.
Interesting one as the ticket you required was not available to buy, what happens if you board?

Status
Not open for further replies.