• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainspotting in UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

T163R

Hi everyone ! :)

I'm planning to go trainspotting (among other things :D ) in UK in July-August.
I welcome your advices:

where are the good places to take photos of trains ?
has trainspotting in UK good reputation to staff and TOCs ?
should I ask for authorisations to make some photos ?

Thanks guys :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

asylumxl

Established Member
It's always best to ask for permission before doing photography, especially at major stations such as the London terminuses. Head to the "Trade reception" or duty/Station managers office. There you will usually get a Visitor pass with no issues.

As far as best stations for photography, depends what you wish to see. If you like freight, the WCML is probably the best for freight.

jp4712

Hello T163R

Can you give us some details? For example, can you tell us where you will be in the UK, and what type of trains you prefer?

If you want to see TGV-style operations, we will recommend a very different place than if you want a very busy commuter station. Or maybe you want steam? There are very many heritage railways in the UK. Or do you want scenery, with trains in pretty countryside? Please tell us where you will be and what you prefer and we can give you specific recommendations. Oh, and also tell us if you will have a car or if you will travel by train.

In my experience, I have never ever had a problem taking trains on a station. But on every occasion I do as asylumxl says. In other words I ask a member of staff to take me to the station supervisor's office; and I say something like 'hello, I'm a railway enthusiast and I just want to take some photos, is that okay?' It helps if you say that the photos are for your own private use (i.e. not for commercial use); that you will not take any flash photographs; that you will stay within public areas; and that you will keep out of the way and not obstruct the platform.

One last tip: go to http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/passenger_services/guidelines_for_rail_enthusiasts.html and print it, and take it with you. I've never had to use it, but in the very unlikely event that a staf member is unhappy that you are taking photos you can show it to them.

Paul

T163R

Hello T163R

Can you give us some details? For example, can you tell us where you will be in the UK, and what type of trains you prefer?

I'll be around London, but I'll also go "far" away from London sometimes.
I quite like Desiro EMUs, HSTs (Class 43 style), Electrostars, Turbostars, etc.

Or do you want scenery, with trains in pretty countryside?

Yes I would quite like to take photos and videos with the British countryside in the background !
Oh, and also tell us if you will have a car or if you will travel by train.
Both ^^

In my experience, I have never ever had a problem taking trains on a station. But on every occasion I do as asylumxl says. In other words I ask a member of staff to take me to the station supervisor's office; and I say something like 'hello, I'm a railway enthusiast and I just want to take some photos, is that okay?' It helps if you say that the photos are for your own private use (i.e. not for commercial use); that you will not take any flash photographs; that you will stay within public areas; and that you will keep out of the way and not obstruct the platform.
Okay thanks :)

One last tip: go to http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/passenger_services/guidelines_for_rail_enthusiasts.html and print it, and take it with you. I've never had to use it, but in the very unlikely event that a staf member is unhappy that you are taking photos you can show it to them.

Is it sufficient if I show the paper to them and say "I've got this" ?

IanPooleTrains

Established Member
Just as an afterthought for you T163R, some London terminus stations you can get around asking but don't have a problem.

London Euston, Kings Cross, London Paddington, London Victoria and London Waterloo you can get around if you get the right platform. If you go to:

Euston:- either far end but platform 2/3 is the best
Kings Cross:- platform 6/7, all of the other platforms are gated off
Paddington:- either platform 1 or platform 8? I think it's eight because they are not barried off
Victoria:- platform 2, insert your travelcard into and it will let you through no problem
Waterloo:- only been once and used platform 16/17 but it is hit and miss with them. Sometimes, they will come up and see what you are up to but sometimes, thy don't bother.

The termini that you might have a problem with is London St. Pancras and London Fenchurch Street. St. Pancras, the staff are very friendly there and they will let you through on either the domestic or international side. London Fenchurch Street is difficult to access because there is no direct tube station, nearest is Tower Hill/Aldgate but if you go to the reception desk on the left side before the barriers, they will more than happily issue you with a pass.

The only two you might have a problem with is Marylebone and Liverpool Street. Marylebone, you ask at the gates and they then call down the station manager and give you a decision to your face but normally, they are fine. Liverpool Street, try at your peril!

Hope that helps you when you come over

anthony263

Established Member
Never had a problem at Marylebone, in fact i can only praise the staff there. Some staff are very good to chat too and one has pointed out once that a class 172 was on the far end of the station when i had not noticed it. only platform 1 at Paddington doesnt have barriers. i would advoid the platforms 11-16 at paddington from 15:30 til 19:00 as they do get very busy at times.

I agree Liverpool street is one to avoid, at St Pancras international staff have kindly let me through the barriers to take a photo of the class 395's before letting me back out.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Marylebone is usually one of the easier ones, surely?

Euston - platform 15 goes further into the throat and the light is behind you for most of the afternoon, so is much better for pictures than 2/3, surely?.

Agree St Pancras ( domestic sides ) are ultra friendly.

IanPooleTrains

Established Member
Euston - platform 15 goes further into the throat and the light is behind you for most of the afternoon, so is much better for pictures than 2/3, surely?

Haven't actually done Euston but I was thinking that there was a long platform oin the other side but isn't that side staffed?

i know the other side isn't staffed and platforms 4 through eleven have guys on the doors but not sure on the other platforms

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Yes, 15 is one of the ones they staff, but I don't see that it makes any difference? It's certainly the platform I always use.

( Then again, I do always have a visitor badge clearly fixed to my jacket... )

scotsman

Established Member
Is it sufficient if I show the paper to them and say "I've got this" ?

If someone challenges you, then yes - only on the larger stations is it actually worth signing in. If you are asked to, you should - or risk being asked to leave. If someone tells you it is illegal (which is possible) - politely tell them that this is not the case and show them the guidelines.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Yes, 15 is one of the ones they staff, but I don't see that it makes any difference? It's certainly the platform I always use.

( Then again, I do always have a visitor badge clearly fixed to my jacket... )

You have made a good point about having a clearly displayed badge.

I would ask a further question about London Termini. Under the present security system, what role with this in mind will the British Transport Police now have in conjunction with authorities concerned with security. How might this affect their current thinking concerning access to stations when photography would be the stated reason for access? Has any official statement been made recently on this matter. I do not live in London and do not have regular contact with anyone with that knowledge, but I am sure that many on this forum do. Could I ask them to post their comments in order that our visitor from France can be kept informed, as I know just how much he is looking forward to this coming visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.