• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trams, signalling and working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bayum

Established Member
So I'm on the Metrolink and I see the signalling row of lights and the like, but a few times we've been bumper to bumper to a tram in front. I take it trans work via line of sight? Why the use of signalling if the latter is true? I understand the need when working in towns and running on road, but not anywhere else!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CatfordCat

So I'm on the Metrolink and I see the signalling row of lights and the like, but a few times we've been bumper to bumper to a tram in front. I take it trans work via line of sight? Why the use of signalling if the latter is true? I understand the need when working in towns and running on road, but not anywhere else!

This page
from LRTA has more.

Broadly, tram systems are worked on 'line of sight' although Metrolink has railway style block working on some of the former railway lines.

The signals in (for example) Manchester City Centre are more the equivalent of traffic light phase signals for trams than block signals, and / or indicate which direction the points are set in.

spinba11

The only time tram lines need the block system is when running 2 ways on a single track.

snowball

Established Member
The Bury and Altrincham lines had block signalling but it is being phased out and the whole system will be line of sight. The approach to Altrincham will be the last section to be converted because of the complicating factor of the level crosssings shared with Network Rail.

Signals will continue to be needed where lines divide, merge or cross each other and at many places where they join or cross roads.

Status
Not open for further replies.