• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transdev Blazefield

Ken H

On Moderation
They are handing a lot of routes back not just in York and are likely to retender for a number of them. Costs have gone up significantly since the tenders were originally awarded. The 12 in any case is only an emergency award to them until April.
Would handing back the keys for a tendered route count against them in the subsequent retendering?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Redgown

Something along those lines is the case yes

To be honest I can see Transdev retaining the services

The only other operator who has run them in recent times is Arriva, and I’m not sure they’d be rushing to run them again. Unless First suddenly about turn and decide to run them for the first time in about 20 years there isn’t realistically anyone else. I can’t see the likes of York Pullman being too interested
Agreed, I'd be very surprised if it was anyone other than Transdev won these, especially given the ongoing driver shortages

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Would handing back the keys for a tendered route count against them in the subsequent retendering?
I’ve known operators hand in notice on contracts in the past, only to retain them following the subsequent retendering exercise. I guess ultimately if when bids come back the council found Transdev’s submission to be the most competitive amongst those received, then the council are realistically probably going to go for that option. Might be hard to justify going for a higher bidder if it was for no obvious reason other than spite. It might just mean all operators submissions are higher than current reflecting the increased costs of operating buses now.

Andyh82

Established Member
Beggars can’t be choosers. We’ve seen in Wharfedale where the Transdev service is being replaced by Connexions and a bare bones contract with missing trips introduced at school times, lunchtime and cuts to the contracts they already held

Seehof

Of course, it all depends whether York Council has the money to retender them at a higher cost or is willing to accept lower levels of service.
There usually seems to be one Versa on the 24/25/26 routes every day. I think it was 216 yesterday.

Leedsbusman

Is it true that Transdev have told City of York council they will not be operating routes 12, 24, 25 & 26 from 1st April? Is it also true that York council are putting all these routes out to tender which Transdev will bid for if terms are favourable?
Doesn’t seem to be the case. Only current CYC tender is for 12, 13 and 412 which are on short term contracts.

Seehof

One of the Transdev drivers here in York told me that Transdev want to come off routes 24/25/26 as they were losing money and the date for this was the end of March. Does this mean there will be no replacement or are Transdev negotiating an increased level of financial support from York council?

Leedsbusman

One of the Transdev drivers here in York told me that Transdev want to come off routes 24/25/26 as they were losing money and the date for this was the end of March. Does this mean there will be no replacement or are Transdev negotiating an increased level of financial support from York council?
Or that the driver was wrong!

Delenn

One of the Transdev drivers here in York told me that Transdev want to come off routes 24/25/26 as they were losing money and the date for this was the end of March.
Sounds about right. There are rarely many on them when I've seen them. Given Transdev are moaning about how many are on the 840 (when they are normally half full), they will definitely be moaning about these.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Sounds about right. There are rarely many on them when I've seen them. Given Transdev are moaning about how many are on the 840 (when they are normally half full), they will definitely be moaning about these.
That rather depends on the relative amounts of subsidy and ENTCS payments on the routes.

SCH117X

Established Member
Post 2780 1 December "In York the local services, Castleline and the NY Sponsored services were in category 4, and are not making money so it is proposed in April 2023 to put these services back to the Council for retender."

Leedsbusman

Post 2780 1 December "In York the local services, Castleline and the NY Sponsored services were in category 4, and are not making money so it is proposed in April 2023 to put these services back to the Council for retender."
However - they were in 3rd category “contracts” in the staff magazine Alex shared on Twitter, rather than the 4th ‘exit’ which included the 22/3 for which the contract ends in April.

Even in challenging times (perhaps particularly so!) we believe in communicating with honesty & transparency in terms of our position, and future action plans to bring about stability & transformation post-COVID. Just like in this special edition of #Talk for our colleagues…

SCH117X

Established Member
A case of wait and see then; driver repeating what the Union Rep has said last year verus the bosses tweet

Leedsbusman

A case of wait and see then; driver repeating what the Union Rep has said last year verus the bosses tweet
I suppose so - but there is also the fact that the 24-26 aren’t in the package of tenders currently being advertised by York and the recent tenders by North Yorkshire for April didn’t include Castleline or 194.

SCH117X

Established Member
I suppose so - but there is also the fact that the 24-26 aren’t in the package of tenders currently being advertised by York and the recent tenders by North Yorkshire for April didn’t include Castleline or 194.
Are those tender lists publically avaialble?

RustySpoons

Not sure what's going on in Lancashire today, but there's a ridiculous amount of cancelled journeys announced at Burnley and Blackburn...

Burnley Cancellations (at the time of posting)

To help you to plan ahead and avoid disruption we will be updating this page with any cancellations in advance. These cancellations are subject to change and may be reinstated so please check back before you travel. Don't forget, you can still track your bus in real time with live departures on the Transdev Go app

Monday 20th February

The 1
Burnley to Stoops 7.20am, 8am, 9.40am

The 2
Burnley to Higherford 6.40am, 7.40am, 8.15am, 9.25am, 9.55am, 10.55am, 11.25am, 12.25pm
Higherford to Burnley 6.55am, 7.25am, 8.30am, 9.03am, 10.08am, 10.38am11.38am, 12.08pm

The 3
Burnley to Pike Hill 9.13am
Pike Hill to Burnley 9.23am

The 4
Burnley to Worsthorne 8.37am
Worsthorne to Burnley 8.53am

The 5
Harle Syke to Rosegrove 7.30am, 8.50am, 10.10am, 11.30am
Rosegrove to Harle Syke 6.50am, 8.10am, 9.30am, 10.50am
Mainline M1
Burnley to King Street 9.12am

MainLine M3
Burnley to Trawden 7.15am, 8.47am, 9.17am, 11.17am
Trawden to Burnley 8.04am, 9.50am, 10.20am, 12.20pm

MainLine M5
Colne to Burnley6.57am, 7.22am

Witchway X43
Burnley to Manchester 6.34am, 7.04am
Manchester to Burnley 7.55am, 8.30am, 8.40am

Blackburn cancellations (at the time of posting)

To help you to plan ahead and avoid disruption we will be updating this page with any cancellations in advance. These cancellations are subject to change and may be reinstated so please check back before you travel. Don't forget, you can still track your bus in real time with live departures on the Transdev Go app.

Monday 20th February

The 1
Blackburn to Darwen 7.50am, 8.58am, 11.15am, 12.15pm, 1.15pm, 2.15pm, 3.15pm, 4.21pm, 5.25pm
Darwen to Blackburn 7.18am, 8.20am, 9.30am, 11.43am, 1.43pm, 2.43pm, 3.46pm, 4.53pm,

The 6
Blackburn to Great Harwood 8.55am

The 6A
Accrington Bus Station to Blackburn Bus Station 6.53am, 7.16am, 8.01am, 9.17am, 9.50am, 10.30am, 10.50am

The 7
Blackburn, Great Harwood or Oswaldtwistle to Accrington 8.35am

The 7A
Blackburn to Accrington 7.23am, 8.43am, 9.15am, 9.55am, 10.15am

And these are just the ones that have been announced, I'd be surprised if there aren't additional journeys cancelled. Also unusual that there are no Rosso/tendered local services listed, they're often the first to be cancelled.

There's also word going round that the days are numbered for the B10BLEs at Burnley. Due to be replaced by ex Keighley Solos and Merc Sprinters from the Ribble routes.

O539

There's also word going round that the days are numbered for the B10BLEs at Burnley. Due to be replaced by ex Keighley Solos and Merc Sprinters from the Ribble routes.

If that is the case, then that would explain where the Solos used on the Otley Dash and Wharefedale Links services will be going, if not then they'll probably just be used in the Keighley fleet.

Although I don't see how the capacity of the solos would work on those routes that the B10BLEs currently use, paticularly the 5 and 2 given their length, unless they're typically half empty. Though to be fair I don't get on buses in Burnley so I can't really comment on that much.

northern506

What will be a shame with the Ribble routes if/when Transdev give them up will be the lack of useful timetable and network information the Transdev website and printed times provide. Holmeswood and Pilkington operate the routes well enough but have near zero presence online.
As far as I am aware it won't be Holemswood or Pilkington Bus, but it will be Preston Bus who will be operating the majority of these services.

winston270twm

Established Member
Rosso have cancelled all their Ribble Country routes & 153 Hotline Route which currently employ the 23 x 21 Plate Mellor Strata's from 16th April.

https://www.vehicle-operator-licensing.service.gov.uk/search/find-registered-local-bus-services/browse/results/?fields[status]=&fields[acceptedDate]=2023-02-21&fields[trafficAreas][0]=C&security=ed8ba0c74a997e551dcf6aa7dfd8cb49-99b86c46d293a36e8a0017af2b8b8df7&form-actions[submit]=
PC0001838/383 Cancelled
ROSSENDALE TRANSPORT LTD
Route: Preston to Leyland via Bamber Bridge
Service number: 153
Service type: Normal Stopping
Effective date: 16 Apr 2023

PC0001838/382 Cancelled
ROSSENDALE TRANSPORT LTD
Route: Nelson to Burnley General Hospital via Briarfield
Service number: 69
Service type: Hail & Ride, Normal Stopping

PC0001838/381 Cancelled
ROSSENDALE TRANSPORT LTD
Route: Colne to Nelson via Barrowford
Service number: 68

PC0001838/380 Cancelled
ROSSENDALE TRANSPORT LTD
Route: Clitheroe to Nelson via Chatburn, Barley
Service number: 66 (67)

PC0001838/379 Cancelled
ROSSENDALE TRANSPORT LTD
Route: Burnley to Nelson via Padiham, Fence
Service number: 65
Service type: Normal Stopping

PC0001838/378 Cancelled
ROSSENDALE TRANSPORT LTD
Route: Burnley to Clitheroe via Padiham, Sabden
Service number: 64

PC0001838/377 Cancelled
ROSSENDALE TRANSPORT LTD
Route: Burnley to Burnley via Rose Hill
Service number: 15

PC0001838/376 Cancelled
ROSSENDALE TRANSPORT LTD
Route: Burnley to Burnley via Clifton Farm
Service number: 18

PC0001838/375 Cancelled
ROSSENDALE TRANSPORT LTD
Route: Burnley to Colne via Nelson
Service number: 6

Last edited by a moderator:

Established Member
If that is the case, then that would explain where the Solos used on the Otley Dash and Wharefedale Links services will be going, if not then they'll probably just be used in the Keighley fleet.

Although I don't see how the capacity of the solos would work on those routes that the B10BLEs currently use, paticularly the 5 and 2 given their length, unless they're typically half empty. Though to be fair I don't get on buses in Burnley so I can't really comment on that much.

These routes aren't really that busy most of the time, the Solos should be fine. There often seems to be at least one Versa and a decker out in addition to the B10s so that could be arranged for the busiest journeys on the 2 and 5.

As far as I am aware it won't be Holemswood or Pilkington Bus, but it will be Preston Bus who will be operating the majority of these services.

Somewhat good news there, though it still brings back the all too common problem of local authority tenders having zero integration with the rest of the bus network.

Ant158

These routes aren't really that busy most of the time, the Solos should be fine. There often seems to be at least one Versa and a decker out in addition to the B10s so that could be arranged for the busiest journeys on the 2 and 5.

Somewhat good news there, though it still brings back the all too common problem of local authority tenders having zero integration with the rest of the bus network.
Probably see Preston bus use the Mellors they used on the ribble routes when they had some of the services previously

Andyh82

Established Member

There is only 3 of those Solos though, nowhere near enough to cover the Burnley work, unless some other Keighley ones are going to be moved from the town

It’s a shame Transdev were not able to at least retain the Burnley local services 6, 14 & 15 that come under Ribble Country so they still formed part of a fully integrated network for the town

It will be pretty odd having Preston Bus running what are basically Burnley local services. I wonder if they will open an outstation in the area

Last edited:

M60lad

Its going to be interesting what Preston will use on Ribble Country Routes as their Mellors are currently in use on the 76 Blackpool-St Annes and 78 St Annes-Great Eccleston services along with 312 Skelmersdale-Wrightington Hospital and 313 Skelmersdale-Burscough Bridge services.

I'm guessing additional vehicles will be acquired to operate the services although what these will be remains to be seen.

Geeves

Established Member
On the Diamond front I'm wondering if soon to be unneeded buses from Bolton will fill the gaps at Preston?

winston270twm

Established Member
On the Diamond front I'm wondering if soon to be unneeded buses from Bolton will fill the gaps at Preston?
Unless things have changed since the Ribble Country tender awards, 25 x Streetdecks will be leaving Bolton mid April bound for Diamond WM short term, as all Diamond WM Buses need to be Euro 6 from 1/5/23.

I'm assuming Preston will need to gain a quantity of buses from somewhere either within group or externally, to allow existing smaller buses to be cascaded on to the Ribble Country routes, I'm assuming they'll all need to be Euro 6 too.
I think some of the B7RLE Urbans are being reinstated at Preston.
Mike Rhodes has confirmed that ex First Manchester B7RLE's 69146/49/64/75/80 are indeed being re-instated.

Mike Rhodes 4d

69146/49/64/75/80 are in the process of being reinstated. Connected (presumably to replace buses which are required) with the award of tenders for services in Clitheroe/Nelson from 15 April - does anyone have any details.

I did wonder whether Rotala may buy Rosso's fleet of Mellor Stratas, to continue operating the tenders with them as they are only 21 plates, but comments above suggest Transdev have cascade plans for them.

Last edited:

Leedsbusman

Unless things have changed since the Ribble Country tender awards, 25 x Streetdecks will be leaving Bolton mid April bound for Diamond WM short term, as all Diamond WM Buses need to be Euro 6 from 1/5/23.

I'm assuming Preston will need to gain a quantity of buses from somewhere either within group or externally, to allow existing smaller buses to be cascaded on to the Ribble Country routes, I'm assuming they'll all need to be Euro 6 too.

Mike Rhodes has confirmed that ex First Manchester B7RLE's 69146/49/64/75/80 are indeed being re-instated.

I did wonder whether Rotala may buy Rosso's fleet of Mellor Stratas, to continue operating the tenders with them as they are only 21 plates, but comments above suggest Transdev have cascade plans for them.
Mike mentioned Clitheroe and Nelson contracts so Preston may only have 66/7-68 and perhaps 65/69 which fit those descriptions. Makes sense if five B7s are being reinstated to release a similar number of smaller buses. I’ve seen Pilkingtons advertising for drivers for 64 but nobody has mentioned the Burnley area stuff.

Andyh82

Established Member
Transdev have registered cancellations of Team Pennine services 262 and 319 with VOSA

The 319 is an ex K Line service and replicates First service 306 exactly. Due to the duplication it is always at the front of the queue for cancellations so often never actually runs

It’s the last of the routes where First and K Line competed that still on paper has competition, with one or the other coming off the other routes (Golcar, Meltham, Balmoral Avenue, Brackenhall) over the last 3 or 4 years either during the Tiger era or during the Transdev era

The 262 is a new service in its current form although Yorkshire Tiger had a 262 which is now Arriva 261. This would leave one road unserved, the rest is served by Arriva’s 261

Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
It’s the last of the routes where First and K Line competed that still on paper has competition, with one or the other coming off the other routes (Golcar, Meltham, Balmoral Avenue, Brackenhall) over the last 3 or 4 years.
Team Pennine still run the 303 and 304.

Last edited: