• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transdev Blazefield

cnjb8

Established Member
It does seem odd to seperate the Tempos. Doesn’t history show that the only people who make them work are those who get 100% into them, like Lynx bus, rather than operators who just have a few (like Trent Barton or Lancashire United).

All the changes are coming soon rather than having happened, although that hasn’t stopped someone immediately changing all the allocations on bustimes.
Bit off topic but Trent had around 20 Tempos, and they really weren’t the best. Lynx’s success with them is partially to do with how flat south east Lincolnshire and Norfolk is. They are more suited there, Norfolk Green had quite a few Tempos too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andyh82

Established Member
All the changes are coming soon rather than having happened, although that hasn’t stopped someone immediately changing all the allocations on bustimes.

As predicted many of those vehicles are in fact still running for Team Pennine today, so someone has had to change them back.

Some people are just too eager.

Last edited by a moderator:

Twb1979

Team Pennine has just posted on Facebook that the Holmfirth Explorer begins operation this Sunday 5th September, I’ve not seen any posts about new arrivals yet at TP depots yet.

Any idea what buses this service will commence operation with?

Here comes #HolmfirthExplorer !

Amazing, new-look buses with top-spec features including free WiFi, USB power, next stop announcements on board - and posh & comfy seats.

There’s a new, simple hourly timetable Mon-Sat from Wakefield & Denby Dale to replace the current, complicated 435/436/437 arrangement.

Starts this Sunday 5 September

https://www.transdevbus.co.uk/teampennine/making-buses-better-september

Goldfish62

Established Member
Team Pennine has just posted on Facebook that the Holmfirth Explorer begins operation this Sunday 5th September, I’ve not seen any posts about new arrivals yet at TP depots yet.

The image is of a Tempo.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Bit off topic but Trent had around 20 Tempos, and they really weren’t the best. Lynx’s success with them is partially to do with how flat south east Lincolnshire and Norfolk is. They are more suited there, Norfolk Green had quite a few Tempos too.
That's not quite right. The original Optare Tempos that TrentBarton had managed respectable working lives. The 54 plates managed 13/14 years IIRC, but were non standard by that point and so were disposed of. It was the later Tempo SRs that were an absolute disaster and were withdrawn after about 6.5 years service and then flogged to Ipswich Buses. IIRC, they were absolute pups with mechanicals, water ingress, etc having been delivered late.

I might also add that the Tempo managed to operate the TrawsCymru services including the punishing 704/T4 from Newtown to Cardiff, and the X40/T1 from Aberystwyth to Carmarthen (and the odd extension to Cardiff). They are certainly not flatlands!

cnjb8

Established Member
That's not quite right. The original Optare Tempos that TrentBarton had managed respectable working lives. The 54 plates managed 13/14 years IIRC, but were non standard by that point and so were disposed of. It was the later Tempo SRs that were an absolute disaster and were withdrawn after about 6.5 years service and then flogged to Ipswich Buses. IIRC, they were absolute pups with mechanicals, water ingress, etc having been delivered late.

I might also add that the Tempo managed to operate the TrawsCymru services including the punishing 704/T4 from Newtown to Cardiff, and the X40/T1 from Aberystwyth to Carmarthen (and the odd extension to Cardiff). They are certainly not flatlands!
As someone who used Trent Tempos regularly when they were here, they weren’t my favourite.
I definitely agree about the Tempo SR, they can stay in Ipswich!
I had forgot about Tempos on Traws Cymru, the reason I said that is whenever Centrebus allocate theirs to the 19 (Nottingham-Melton Mowbray), they have a difficult time getting up Broughton Hill whereas the six cylinder E200s previously allocated to the route could do it alright.

aswilliamsuk

Tempos 1405-07 have been away for refurb/repaint at Thorntons, understood they should be back in time to launch the new service.

The seven imminent E200 MMC are to work the 319/360 in Huddersfield, and the new Kirkheaton service (262) via Waterloo.

Andyh82

Established Member
A couple of tweets from Transdev today, firstly showing off the E200MMCs that enter service in Huddersfield next week

And then the refurbished Tempos for the Holmfirth Explorer which aren’t quite ready to enter service next week

And finally there is an ongoing staff shortage on Coastliner and Cityzap. The latter was reduced to hourly today

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Coach & Bus Week has an article about Team Pennine this week. It's not exactly news anymore, but it gives a good summary of the changes so far.

Transdev’s new Team Pennine operation is set to launch newer buses on revised Huddersfield and Holmfirth routes

Following its take-over of Arriva’s Yorkshire Tiger operations and relaunch under the Team Pennine name, Transdev’s new brand is increasing its visibility with new buses and brands in Huddersfield and Holmfirth.

Three routes across Huddersfield – including the Free Town Bus which links the town’s bus and rail stations with shopping and leisure attractions in the town centre – will benefit from the newer and improved buses. The operator is relaunching the free town circular along with two normal routes, the 319 circular serving Newsome and Berry Brow, and the 360 which links Brackenhall and the town centre with Huddersfield Royal Infirmary.

From Sunday 5 September, newer Euro VI buses operating on all three routes will carry a new name, Hudds Quick, along with Team Pennine’s new two-tone pink livery. Team Pennine CEO Alex Hornby said: “After our successful launch of Team Pennine and our first fully relaunched route, the Denby Darts-branded D1 route serving Skelmanthorpe and Denby Dale, we’re now preparing to launch big improvements for customers on three town routes in Huddersfield, under our new name, Hudds Quick. The new Hudds Quick name is all about spreading the word that we’ll be the swift and simple way around town on bright pink buses that people will be proud to be seen on. But we’re much more than a new name and a stand-out colour scheme – we’re transforming every aspect of the journey experience from the moment our customers step on board to a friendly welcome from our team.”

In Holmfirth meanwhile, the operator is promising to deliver a ‘simpler, swifter service seven days a week, with feature-packed, ultra-low emission newer buses.’ The Holmfirth Explorer service will run every hour Monday to Saturday and every two hours on Sundays, replacing a complex series of journeys on three existing routes with what Transdev called an ‘easy-to-follow service’ connecting city, town and country.

The new route will run between Holmfirth – famous as the home of long-running TV favourite ‘Last of the Summer Wine’ – and the cathedral city of Wakefield, home to the world-famous Hepworth gallery, which is celebrating its tenth birthday this year – connecting a string of rural communities including Clayton West, Scissett, Skelmanthorpe, Denby Dale and Shepley.

Alex continued: “Our new Holmfirth Explorer route is all about making bus travel simpler and smarter. It replaces the current complex set-up of three routes with an easy-to-follow timetable which better matches our customers’ needs. Our customer research since we launched Team Pennine last month has shown demand is strongest for simple, hassle-free journeys which connect rural villages with the centres of Holmfirth and Wakefield to reach work, shopping and leisure facilities. Our new Holmfirth Explorer will be ideal for these trips into town, while our newer buses will be powered by advanced engines which meet the toughest Euro VI low emission standards, making it easier for everyone to help protect West Yorkshire’s environment. On board our new services, there’ll be new and more comfortable seating, superfast and free WiFi, at seat USB mobile device charging and audio-visual announcements to ensure no-one misses their stop.”

Andyh82

Established Member
Outside of the trade press I notice Alex Hornby etc haven’t been shouting about the HuddsQuick launch as it hasn’t gone smoothly

360 today for example, rather than 2 of the new buses, one board was being run by a W reg ex Harrogate President and the other board wasn’t running

319 did have the new buses, but only 2 of them with the 3rd board not operating

The 324 and 20/21 in Halifax also had missing boards

JetBlast

Outside of the trade press I notice Alex Hornby etc haven’t been shouting about the HuddsQuick launch as it hasn’t gone smoothly

360 today for example, rather than 2 of the new buses, one board was being run by a W reg ex Harrogate President and the other board wasn’t running

What does a missing board mean please? Does that mean the allocated bus wasn’t operating?

RustySpoons

Some interesting reading on Twitter from passengers. Not impressed with the lack of buses, crowding, late running and also having issues getting through to someone at the company for information. Not just at Team Pennine either.

It seems the only people who are acknowledged are the enthusiasts who are happy about getting the President on the route...

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

I was going to sample the "new look" Holmfirth Explorer on the opening day... but the journey I went for failed to show. The sun was out and my journey was only from one village to the next, so I walked it. The buses I did see out later were displaying 435/436 rather than X1.

SCH117X

Established Member
Could be driver shortages - the use of a President as the only board on a two vehicle board at least means there should not be overcrowding. Its quite common in Harrogate when a bus has gone missing, invariably due to traffic congestion, that a double decker if available is used on a local route, even 36 vehicles being pushed into use to clear queues at local route stops

Andyh82

Established Member
It's the same on the 360 today only 1/2 boards running, but its the opposite board to yesterday, the board that doesn't start until 9am, so there was no am peak hour service. It's a HuddsQuick E200MMC today

Seems to be 1/2 boards running on the 324 and 1/3 boards on the 319 with the latter not starting until after the school run out

Presumably a staff shortage

SCH117X

Established Member
Some tweet at least would be useful but presumably ex Tiger staff would not have been the habit.

RustySpoons

Some tweet at least would be useful but presumably ex Tiger staff would not have been the habit.

This is the frustrating thing. When they're on the ball Transdev cannot be faulted for reporting service cancellations or late running. Though lately they seem to be getting worse. They'll only report some of the services that aren't running, or as seems to be the case at Pennine more often than not they won't be reported at all.

Understandably staff shortages are a big issue and they're doing everything they can to keep things going, but letting duty managers update Twitter directly instead of having to feed back to a social media team would improve things massively.

Could be driver shortages - the use of a President as the only board on a two vehicle board at least means there should not be overcrowding. Its quite common in Harrogate when a bus has gone missing, invariably due to traffic congestion, that a double decker if available is used on a local route, even 36 vehicles being pushed into use to clear queues at local route stops
Really? I've never known/ seen/ heard of 36s ever being used on any other route since they were new.

SCH117X

Established Member
Really? I've never known/ seen/ heard of 36s ever being used on any other route since they were new.
I've definitely had a 36 vehicle on a Harrogate local service and I do not mean the former extensions of the 36.

Definately had a 36 vehicle on a Harrogate local service and I do not mean the former extensions of the 36.
Oh Wow. Bustimes occasionally shows 36s as tracking on other routes, but it always turns out to be a ticket machine swap. I believe 36s only have their own destinations files, which makes it even more interesting.

SCH117X

Established Member
It was well before bustimes existed and 36s do have at least route 3 destination files as the outbound workings to form 36s run as such - the 0615, 0645 and 0713 3s from the bus station.

SCH117X

Established Member
The 36 still has several extensions.
Those from Leeds to the Harrogate estates were axed with only what would otherwise be out of service workings to the depot kept. The morning extenisons towards Leeds are effectively instead of the local service meaning more of the Electrics get a lie in on weekdays

RELL6L

Having had a look at Team Pennine on BusTimes today... if BusTimes is to be believed (note large caveat, there may be other vehicles etc not shown) and this is not a complete trawl...

Halifax 526 and 574 - only one bus out of three running
Halifax 530 and 577 - only one bus out of two running
Halifax 343 and 534 - only two buses out of three running
Halifax 563 - only one bus out of two running
Halifax 502, 514, 524, 546/561/562, 20/21, all OK but some short turns and long delays on 524 (see also below)
Huddersfield 319 - only one bus of three running but swapped over with some overlap when two were running
Huddersfield 324 - nothing since 9am (should be two)
Huddersfield 360 - only one bus out of two running, but was two earlier
The D1 and X1 seem to be running a full service, also 303/304, 262

The Team Pennine website says nothing about any of this.
The website (service updates) also says:
  • the 574 is not running to Booth and Midgley - clearly it is
  • the 524 is not running to Wainstalls - it is (on some journeys)
  • the 524 is not serving Mixenden - it is (on some journeys)
Staff shortages happen, although if this is as it appears (caveat repeated) then it is very poor. But the lack of reporting is far worse. Sorry but I'm not into Twitter so if it is out there somewhere (or on the App) them maybe some people will know what's happening, but many won't. How to drive people off the bus.....

I was planning a possible trip to this area involving the 524, the 574 and a (downhill) walk between them, but this put me off, I planned a potential nearby alternative but in the event went further north for a couple of days. Here I took many journeys (10) on a much maligned bus company, all ran, none more than max 10 minutes late, no sign of any missed journeys on any route that I could see. Reports to follow.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Currently on my first journey on the X1 Holmfirth Explorer. Initial thoughts:
The refurbished Optare Versa(?) Tempo feels like a new bus on the inside, a really impressive job done here... though so far it's been struggling a bit uphill, especially compared to the buses used on the D1. This route has a lot of National Speed Limit roads including some long climbs so something with a bit more oomph would be ideal. Might just be the one vehicle I'm on that's a bit short on power though.
As much as I'm glad they've got rid of the silly variations of the route, the run to the turning circle at the top end of Clayton West seems a bit pointless. Barely anyone lives there and those that do probably won't use the bus- all it does is extend the journey. Literally nobody boarded or alighted for the whole detour.
Someone at Team Pennine needs to get on to Metro about timetables at bus stops, as every single stop I've used that's served by either the D1, X1 or both, has still had the old 233 and 435/6/7 timetables up. Sure, more people use their smartphones these days but an out of date timetable is worse than no timetable at all.

P.S.
The route map is nice and easy to read, but I have a slight objection to how Wakefield is advertised: for example there is one "dot" for Wakefield city centre, which is marked with a BR double arrow... but doesn't specify which of the two stations it serves, and the route doesn't actually run very close to Westgate Station since they moved the entrance. There's also an extension indicated beyond the terminus to the Hepworth gallery, but this just indicates (not very clearly) that the gallery is a short walk from the end of the route... it's actually quite a trek from the bus station though.

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
Having had a look at Team Pennine on BusTimes today... if BusTimes is to be believed (note large caveat, there may be other vehicles etc not shown) and this is not a complete trawl...

Halifax 526 and 574 - only one bus out of three running
Halifax 530 and 577 - only one bus out of two running
Halifax 343 and 534 - only two buses out of three running
Halifax 563 - only one bus out of two running
Halifax 502, 514, 524, 546/561/562, 20/21, all OK but some short turns and long delays on 524 (see also below)
Huddersfield 319 - only one bus of three running but swapped over with some overlap when two were running
Huddersfield 324 - nothing since 9am (should be two)
Huddersfield 360 - only one bus out of two running, but was two earlier
The D1 and X1 seem to be running a full service, also 303/304, 262

The Team Pennine website says nothing about any of this.
The website (service updates) also says:
  • the 574 is not running to Booth and Midgley - clearly it is
  • the 524 is not running to Wainstalls - it is (on some journeys)
  • the 524 is not serving Mixenden - it is (on some journeys)
Staff shortages happen, although if this is as it appears (caveat repeated) then it is very poor. But the lack of reporting is far worse. Sorry but I'm not into Twitter so if it is out there somewhere (or on the App) them maybe some people will know what's happening, but many won't. How to drive people off the bus.....

I was planning a possible trip to this area involving the 524, the 574 and a (downhill) walk between them, but this put me off, I planned a potential nearby alternative but in the event went further north for a couple of days. Here I took many journeys (10) on a much maligned bus company, all ran, none more than max 10 minutes late, no sign of any missed journeys on any route that I could see. Reports to follow.
Nothing at all on Twitter so I can only assume a full service is running....

Andyh82

Established Member
I’m guessing they aren’t tweeting because it’s just too bad to tweet.

One missing journey on the 662, with advice to catch the next one 10 minutes later is one thing; multiple buses missing every hour all day all week is something else.

Currently on my first journey on the X1 Holmfirth Explorer. Initial thoughts:
The refurbished Optare Versa(?) feels like a new bus on the inside, a really impressive job done here... though so far it's been struggling a bit uphill, especially compared to the buses used on the D1. This route has a lot of National Speed Limit roads including some long climbs so something with a bit more oomph would be ideal. Might just be the one vehicle I'm on that's a bit short on power though.
As much as I'm glad they've got rid of the silly variations of the route, the run to the turning circle at the top end of Clayton West seems a bit pointless. Barely anyone lives there and those that do probably won't use the bus- all it does is extend the journey. Literally nobody boarded or alighted for the whole detour.
Someone at Team Pennine needs to get on to Metro about timetables at bus stops, as every single stop I've used that's served by either the D1, X1 or both, has still had the old 233 and 435/6/7 timetables up. Sure, more people use their smartphones these days but an out of date timetable is worse than no timetable at all.

P.S.
The route map is nice and easy to read, but I have a slight objection to how Wakefield is advertised: for example there is one "dot" for Wakefield city centre, which is marked with a BR double arrow... but doesn't specify which of the two stations it serves, and the route doesn't actually run very close to Westgate Station since they moved the entrance. There's also an extension indicated beyond the terminus to the Hepworth gallery, but this just indicates (not very clearly) that the gallery is a short walk from the end of the route... it's actually quite a trek from the bus station though.
They're Optare Tempos.

I'm really looking forward to seeing and trying out the network next week hopefully, as I've been far too busy recently to even attempt to head over there.

I had a feeling the Tempos would be slightly lacking performance wise, but I had heard that they have be re-engined. The liveries from what I can tell on photographs looks top notch.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Bit annoyed about the gap in the middle of the evening peak on the X1 from Wakefield. It's an odd choice business-wise too, I'd have thought. It's all very well advertising the tourist draws (Summer Wine Country and the Hepworth) but your "bread and butter" is locals.

They're Optare Tempos.
Think I've made the exact same mistake before... :oops:

I had a feeling the Tempos would be slightly lacking performance wise, but I had heard that they have be re-engined. The liveries from what I can tell on photographs looks top notch.
My bus home is a Wright bodied Volvo of some description (presumably a loan as it's in a silver livery advertising the Trasdev Go app), and is doing fine up the long straight before Bretton Roundabout. I suspect the Tempo I was on earlier would have been a bit sluggish!

Last edited: