• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transdev Blazefield

Delenn

Do you mean the build quality or just what the interior looks like? If the latter I am sure they can specify something different. If the former, don't forget Wrightbus aren't exactly the bastion of high quality given how badly early Streetlites rattled and some of the Streetdecks / Gemini 3s leaked.

It is interesting that they didn't go for more Volvos to avoid having a microfleet, given that the likes of Stagecoach seem to be ordering more Volvo electrics than ADLs.
I mean how poorly they have worn. The 36s and Coastliners are in much better internal condition, and are years older. Hopefully, ADL have better options available now.

I think the Volvos are going out of fashion, which is a shame as I've always liked them. I believe the eCitaro batteries are much better than the Volvo ones, although I don't know if Volvo have newer batteries in the pipeline. Given the situation in other fleets, the Volvos won't be around for more than about another 5 years, so they were making a choice for the future. Given where we are with models at the moment, the eCitaro seems a decent choice. I hope the interiors are of a usual Transdev spec and haven't been short-changed.

Also, 19 buses for the 36 still seems to be too few. I saw someone used their last timetable (pre-Harewood Bridge closing) with opportunity charging at Harrogate and they couldn't make it work with only 19 buses. Transdev are saying 16 buses, so I wonder how the timetable will change? Interesting times.

Any updates on the electric buses that Keighley and Flyer are meant to receive for the Bradford clean air zone (CAZ)?
Last I heard, the Flyer ones were on hold until the situation at Idle had been resolved. (Something about the site being underutilised and costing them a lot, so a smaller site is needed). Not sure about Keighley, but might be on the same order.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RustySpoons

Now, as to the existing 36 vehicles, I hope about 5 of them make it to Coastliner (in proper Coastliner livery), so all the generic ones (including 2019, which is pretty hated in Malton) can go back (2019 to Burnley for the Mainline), and yes, I would agree with the idea of putting the rest of them on the Aireline and Dalesway, probably amongst other routes in the area.
All the ADLs are due to go to Burnley so the entire fleet is based in one place, so it'd make sense if some of the 36 Coastliners went to Malton so they'd have a standardised fleet. That being said, how old are the oldest B5s at Coastliner at the moment? Although there's nothing else apparently on order I wonder how long it is before they'll be replaced?

InOban

Established Member
Next Wednesday my wife and I need to catch the 12.23 service (843) from York railway station to Pickering. Should we buy tickets online in advance or can we pay contactless on the bus?

We're actually going to the garden centre just short of Pickering, which isn't an advertised stop. Will the driver stop if asked?

Delenn

All the ADLs are due to go to Burnley so the entire fleet is based in one place, so it'd make sense if some of the 36 Coastliners went to Malton so they'd have a standardised fleet. That being said, how old are the oldest B5s at Coastliner at the moment? Although there's nothing else apparently on order I wonder how long it is before they'll be replaced?
The oldest B5 is 2016. No need to replace them just yet. The 2 x B9s are older (2013), and have had a long hard life, so we could do with having B5s to replace them. I'd send 5 (or more) x B5s to Malton, to replace all the grey ones (including 2019) and hopefully allowing the B9s to be used less or be replaced.

Next Wednesday my wife and I need to catch the 12.23 service (843) from York railway station to Pickering. Should we buy tickets online in advance or can we pay contactless on the bus?

We're actually going to the garden centre just short of Pickering, which isn't an advertised stop. Will the driver stop if asked?
I'd just pay contactless on the bus.

The driver might if you ask nicely, but the next stop (which is Mickle Hill) isn't too far away. I would suggest they won't stop to pick you up from there though.

InOban

Established Member
Thanks very much for the info. I expect that after the event someone will give me a lift at least as far as Malton.

Ashly_Jethro

Given the interior finish of the existing ADLs, I'm quite disappointed that they haven't gone back to Wrightbus. But, I think the ADLs have been a shoo-in for a while.

In a way, I'm surprised they've gone for the eCitaro, but from what I've seen, it is a nice bus. They are certainly amongst the best in class.

Now, as to the existing 36 vehicles, I hope about 5 of them make it to Coastliner (in proper Coastliner livery), so all the generic ones (including 2019, which is pretty hated in Malton) can go back (2019 to Burnley for the Mainline), and yes, I would agree with the idea of putting the rest of them on the Aireline and Dalesway, probably amongst other routes in the area.

Personally, as I hate the Versas, I'd put the vehicles currently on Aireline and Dalesway to replace any Versa anywhere I can. Horrible buses that roll at every turn. I think TfGM like them, so see if Transdev can sell them on to them.
Wrightbus have been terrible the last decade, think the former Burnley B9s were the last order Transdev had that was actually decent quality, the 14 plate streetlites are universally hated and didn’t last long in Burnley, and the B5s have been too unreliable, especially at malton.

The versas aren’t too bad, the 12 and 16 plates have been pretty good, the Mainlines have had their fair share of issues and the 464s are abysmal.

Can’t say I can fault the recent ADLs, my only 2 comments would be that X98/99 have been badly vandalised by passengers, nothing to do with build quality, and that the upper deck windscreen blowers are rather loud. But aside from that.

I think E400EVs were realistically the only decent option for deckers. The single decks on the other hand would also have suited a few other options like the Volvos, Yutongs, and the E200s. I’m surprised they went for the Mercs, not only would I expect them to be more expensive (paying for the badge) but it’d make better sense to “stick to what you know” and have a unified fleet with either E200s or Volvos.

The oldest B5 is 2016. No need to replace them just yet. The 2 x B9s are older (2013), and have had a long hard life, so we could do with having B5s to replace them. I'd send 5 (or more) x B5s to Malton, to replace all the grey ones (including 2019) and hopefully allowing the B9s to be used less or be replaced.
Those B9s were welcomed with open arms by Malton, I don’t think they’d be very happy to get them taken away again in exchange of more B5s that can’t handle the route. Despite the B9s having worked X43 for all those years, they’re still reliable and comfortable, I use them everyday with no issues. Keep in mind the 2 at malton received extra treatment above the others getting brand new upholstery. Think they’d be happy to get the other 3 from Harrogate with the same treatment. Would probably be the best way to stabilise their operation without getting a new fleet.

Last edited:

Andyh82

Established Member
Those B9s were welcomed with open arms by Malton, I don’t think they’d be very happy to get them taken away again in exchange of more B5s that can’t handle the route. Despite the B9s having worked X43 for all those years, they’re still reliable and comfortable, I use them everyday with no issues. Keep in mind the 2 at malton received extra treatment above the others getting brand new upholstery. Think they’d be happy to get the other 3 from Harrogate with the same treatment. Would probably be the best way to stabilise their operation without getting a new fleet.
That shows the difference between actual operational experience and enthusiasts just looking at the age of buses on a fleetlist

On paper an enthusiast would say Coastliner is lagging behind, using old B9s and they need replacing

Yet you are saying they are actually preferred to the newer vehicles

Ashly_Jethro

Volvo BZL? BYD E400EV?
I forgot about the BZL! Did think they looked rather interesting when they were released, wonder why one wasn’t demoed

That shows the difference between actual operational experience and enthusiasts just looking at the age of buses on a fleetlist

On paper an enthusiast would say Coastliner is lagging behind, using old B9s and they need replacing

Yet you are saying they are actually preferred to the newer vehicles
I think one fraise pretty much sums it up, they just don’t make em like they used to!

Think the only reason the B10s are going is purely their high fuel consumption in order to cut costs, drivers love them, they’re reliable, and could still outlive most modern buses if they were still used.

Last edited:

Leedsbusman

I forgot about the BZL! Did think they looked rather interesting when they were released, wonder why one wasn’t demoed

I think one fraise pretty much sums it up, they just don’t make em like they used to!

Think the only reason the B10s are going is purely their high fuel consumption in order to cut costs, drivers love them, they’re reliable, and could still outlive most modern buses if they were still used.
Think it is more a case of chassis corrosion than fuel consumption that is terminating the B10s.

Ashly_Jethro

Think it is more a case of chassis corrosion than fuel consumption that is terminating the B10s.
Not strictly true, all the Burnley withdrawals were planned shortly after Alex’s exit. Plus like the two Blackburn B7s they’d just be withdrawn as and when they became unserviceable. Those B10s likely cost a fortune to fuel compared to other alternatives, especially the likes of the Mellors and solos

Delenn

If that was aimed at me, I wasn't looking at a fleetlist. My knowledge of the situation is much deeper than that.

317 forever

Established Member
Assuming the current B5s on the 36 are owned, I wonder if these will cascade over to the Aireline and Dalesway, with those B9s going to clear out superannuated B7s with Keighley and Burnley.

Guess I should make sure I get one more trip booked for the old Plaxton Presidents at Keighley!
I rode 2716 on route K9 yesterday and saw another one out, I think on route K7.

The seats really sagged as it had not been refurbished.

SCH117X

Established Member
One of the 36 Geminis was involved in a three vehicle collision yesterday - fatal for the occupants of one car. Tracking indicates it was 3617 working the 1240 Leeds-Ripon

The occupants of a silver Vauxhall Meriva car - a woman in her 30s, a boy, aged six, and a teenage girl - died in the crash.
The driver of the double-decker bus suffered leg injuries and some of the passengers had minor injuries.
Two occupants of a blue Toyota Aygo car also involved in the crash were not injured, officers added...

M60lad

While obviously thoughts are with the family/s concerned in the incident yesterday do we know how badly damaged the 36 Gemini is and can Harrogate cope with a 36 branded off the road?

SCH117X

Established Member
Think the word is stretched - in addition 3624 does not seem to have worked since it failed in Leeds on 28 Aug, one of the others was not used yesterday so all four fleet liveried Geminis made an appearance on the 36 but even so a number of workings were cancelled.

M803UYA

While obviously thoughts are with the family/s concerned in the incident yesterday do we know how badly damaged the 36 Gemini is and can Harrogate cope with a 36 branded off the road?
Transdev were pulling trips on 36 yesterday, presumably through losing the bus....

Established Member
With the new school year starting, the mass cancellations are back at Burnley. This is the worst I've seen in a long time.

Tuesday 5th September

Mainline M1
Burnley Bus Station to Mill Hill Lane 5.48pm

Mainline M2
Padiham, Bridge Inn to Burnley, Bus Station 7.26am
Clitheroe, Interchange to Burnley, Bus Station 8.22am, 1.32pm, 3.47pm, 5.30pm
Burnley, Bus Station to Clitheroe, Interchange 7.28am, 1.32pm, 2.52pm, 5.05pm
Burnley, Bus Station to Padiham, Town Hall 3.03pm
Padiham, Bridge Inn to Burnley, Bus Station 3.28pm

Mainline M3
Burnley, Bus Station to Trawden, Lane House 8.50am

Mainline M4
Burnley, Bus Station to Keighley, Bus Station 7.35am, 1.40pm, 2.40pm
Keighley, Bus Station to Burnley, Bus Station 9.20am, 3.20am, 4.25pm

Mainline M5
Burnley, Bus Station to Barnoldswick, Fernlea Ave 7.52am, 11am, 5.10pm , 2.35pm, 3pm
Barnoldswick, Fernlea Ave to Burnley, Bus Station, 12.20pm, 6.31pm, 4.23pm
Burnley, Bus Station to Colne, Market Street 3.57pm

Mainline M6
Burnley Bus Station to Skipton Bus Station 2.20pm
Skipton Bus Station to Burnley Bus Station 3.45pm

The 2A
Nelson, Interchange to Burnley, Bus Station 6.53am, 8.01am
Burnley, Bus Station to Nelson, Interchange 7.25am, 8.40am

The 5
Harle Syke to Rosegrove, Lane Ends 6.45am, 8.05am
Rosegrove, Lane Ends to Harle Syke 7.25am, 8.50am

Witchway X43
Queensgate, Bus Depot to Manchester, Chorlton Street 6.09am, 6.54am , 10.30am, 1.30pm, 4.35pm, 3.30pm
Manchester, Chorlton Street to Burnley, Bus Station 8am, 9am, 12pm, 3pm, 6.10pm, 5.10pm

Swimbar

Transdev were pulling trips on 36 yesterday, presumably through losing the bus....
My thoughts are with the driver and the family and anybody else affected by the situation. The three who lost their lives are from Ukraine living in Ripon.

However, there are 17 cancelled journeys on the 36 today, as well as others on the Harrogate local routes.
Transdev Harrogate do appear to be operating on a shoestring. No spare bus at all to cover for vehicles that become unavailable for service?

Last edited:

SCH117X

Established Member
Going by bustimes tracking 3619 has not been used since 0833 yesterday, 3623 since 1111 today whilst 3624 is presumably still under repair from its failure on 28 Aug. 3617 sidelined from Sunday, the 55 reg Gemini 3614 has not used since 1020 yesterday and 3613 was taken off the 36 at 1420; it subsequently did a Knaresborough-Boroughbridge return. So by 1430 six vehicles that could work the 36 were for whatever reason seemingly unavailable or had no available drivers. Could there be a driver avilability issue araising from Sunday when Harrogate-Ripon was taking upto a hour and half ?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
With the new school year starting, the mass cancellations are back at Burnley. This is the worst I've seen in a long time.
The 0920 on the M4 from Keighley was showing as cancelled, yesterday, too. But it went past my house about 5 minutes late...

northernchris

Established Member
That's not a good list, and disappointing to see more than 1 M4 showing given BSIP funding is being used to reduce the fare between Keighley and Airedale Hospital to £1.
My thoughts are with the driver and the family and anybody else affected by the situation. The three who lost their lives are from Ukraine living in Ripon.
That really is awful, thoughts to all involved.

Could there be a driver avilability issue araising from Sunday when Harrogate-Ripon was taking upto a hour and half ?

Would the knock on effects really last for 48 hours? They would be better reverting to a 15 minute frequency on the 36 to reduce the pressure on the fleet and drivers.

RustySpoons

That's disappointing to see after things seemed to be running well! There were other journeys cancelled too, leaving quite a number of people stranded and late for work/school.

Hopefully it was just a one off and things will improve, although there are still a number of published cancellations so far today too - including a college service!

Wednesday 6th September

Mainline M2
Padiham, Bridge Inn to Burnley, Bus Station 7.26am, 8.37am
Burnley, Bus Station to Padiham, Bridge Inn 8.05am

Mainline M4
Burnley, Bus Station to Keighley, Bus Station 7.35am
Keighley to Burnley 9.20am

Mainline M5
Burnley, Bus Station to Barnoldswick, Fernlea Ave 7.52am, 9.20am
Colne, Bus Station to Burnley, Bus Station 7.58am, 7.17am

Mainline M6
Colne, Market Street to Skipton, Bus Station 7.55am
Burnley, Bus Station to Skipton, Bus Station 7.28am

120 College Bus
Thornton-in-Craven, Thornton Hill to Burnley College Grounds 7.53am

Witchway X43
Queensgate, Bus Depot to Manchester, Chorlton Street 6.54am
Manchester, Chorlton Street to Burnley, Bus Station 8am, 9am

Swimbar

16 cancelled journeys on the 36 so far today. As suggested above they would be better thought of if they admitted they have a major problem and adopted a temporary timetable.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
16 cancelled journeys on the 36 so far today. As suggested above they would be better thought of if they admitted they have a major problem and adopted a temporary timetable.

That is disappointing - perhaps they should have kept last week's every 15 minute timetable for a while longer.

There seem to be some recurring journeys in those lists - the 0920 M4 from Keighley is on its third day (though it did run on Monday).

SCH117X

Established Member
2775 and possibly 3626 failed on 36 duties yesterday (the latter failing to continue to Leeds from Harrogate on the 1915 from Ripon)
3627 failed today

northernchris

Established Member
That is disappointing - perhaps they should have kept last week's every 15 minute timetable for a while longer.

Indeed, there's been some consecutive journeys cancelled too just to add to the gap in service. It must have been apparent Harrogate were going to struggle resource wise before the timetable commenced, and it seems Transdev haven't learnt from their shambolic behaviour in Lancashire which has led to the public inquiry.

Ken H

On Moderation
The 0920 on the M4 from Keighley was showing as cancelled, yesterday, too. But it went past my house about 5 minutes late...
Kildick level crossing was closed yesterday afternoon causing jams in Crosshills. Dont know when the problem started. The bus I got from Skipton lost about 10 minute about 13:15

Delenn

Has anybody heard whether the Rosso public enquiry happened yesterday and if so, how it went?