• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine planned cancellations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Due to the ongoing industrial action, Transpennine seem to be cancelling a lot of trains on Sundays, but don’t actually tell you which ones are cancelled until a day or two before.

I’ve booked an Advance split ticket (they have blocked APs for Sundays, so it’s an AP for the ECML leg and a CDS for the TPx leg) for a family member who is a wheelchair user, for Sunday 10th July. Based upon the revised timetable for the last few Sundays, the last TPx train would have departed several hours prior.

Are TPx providing replacement taxis?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Due to the ongoing industrial action, Transpennine seem to be cancelling a lot of trains on Sundays, but don’t actually tell you which ones are cancelled until a day or two before.

I’ve booked an Advance split ticket (they have blocked APs for Sundays, so it’s an AP for the ECML leg and a CDS for the TPx leg) for a family member who is a wheelchair user, for Sunday 10th July. Based upon the revised timetable for the last few Sundays, the last TPx train would have departed several hours prior.

Are TPx providing replacement taxis?
The strike timetable is now 'stable' and should be the same each weekend going forward, subject to engineering work. The strike timetable is of course still subject to some cancellations, e.g. if contingency guards are unavailable.

If there are other train services available, I doubt that a taxi would be provided; instead, passengers would be re-routed onto other TOCs. There is standing ticket acceptance in place for most other operators on TPE's network:
We have spoken with our industry partners and they have kindly agreed to carry customers who have tickets marked “AP TPE ONLY” or “TPE ONLY”, as well as flexible tickets (Off-Peak, Anytime, etc.) on days of strike action.

Ticket acceptance is in place with the following operators until the dates specified during strike action in the event of a cancellation:

Northern – Until Monday 6 June
Across the network

Avanti West Coast – Until Monday 30 May
Between Wigan and Glasgow Central/Edinburgh

East Midlands Railway – Until Tuesday 31 May
Between Liverpool Lime Street and Sheffield

London North Eastern Railway – On strike days (SUNDAYS ONLY) until Sunday 5 June
Between York and Edinburgh/Middlesbrough

CrossCountry – Until Monday 6 June
Between Leeds and Edinburgh

Transport for Wales – On strike days until Sunday 5 June
Between Stockport, Newton-le-Willows and Manchester Airport and Manchester Piccadilly

Lumo - On strike days until Sunday 5 June
Between Newcastle and Edinburgh

Hull Trains - On strike days until Sunday 5 June
Between Hull and Selby, Doncaster

ScotRail - On strike days until Sunday 29 May
Between Motherwell and Glasgow Central

Fokx

A taxi wouldn’t be provided in this hypothetical/future situation as the last advertised service has departed.

It would be similar to say someone travelling on the 2317 from Eccles and heading towards London. There wouldn’t be a train service for them to connect with and therefore no obligation to provide onward travel.

If you have the option, most advance singles can be changed up until 2pm the day before without fee. I’d recommend doing that if at all possible to leave earlier

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
A taxi wouldn’t be provided in this hypothetical/future situation as the last advertised service has departed.
That would certainly be relevant if the passenger has booked a ticket once the strike timetable is in place. But not if they booked on a service which has now been cancelled. The railway can't unilaterally get out of its obligations by changing the timetable post-purchase.

Of course, on the ground, the tortious position you've outlined is unfortunately likely to be the one adopted by station staff.

So unless there is an alternative train from another operator, or you are prepared to shell out for a taxi and then enter into potentially lengthy correspondence about claiming it back... I agree that travelling earlier is likely to be the most pragmatic answer.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

It would be similar to say someone travelling on the 2317 from Eccles and heading towards London. There wouldn’t be a train service for them to connect with and therefore no obligation to provide onward travel.

If you have the option, most advance singles can be changed up until 2pm the day before without fee. I’d recommend doing that if at all possible to leave earlier
I have a ticket and a seat reservation for this service, but based upon the timetable for this week, it is several hours after the last service would have departed. So I’m not sure what you mean by I would have missed the last advertised service; I’d be travelling on the train on which I’m booked.

It isn’t possible to leave earlier and TPx are the only Toc running this line.

Would LNER even accept travel on an earlier train, as there is no ticket acceptance on their services from London?

Haywain

Veteran Member
I have a ticket and a seat reservation for this service, but based upon the timetable for this week, it is several hours after the last service would have departed. So I’m not sure what you mean by I would have missed the last advertised service; I’d be travelling on the train on which I’m booked.

It isn’t possible to leave earlier and TPx are the only Toc running this line.

Would LNER even accept travel on an earlier train, as there is no ticket acceptance on their services from London?
Have you asked TPE about this?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Have you asked TPE about this?
Yes, they are not particularly helpful and advise that as far as they can see, the train is running for that weekend. As far as I can tell they are just searching on the systems which have the normal timetable uploaded for that weekend.

D365

Veteran Member
I'm trying to book a journey from Manchester Airport to Derby on Sunday 11th September. Any departure after 5pm. But National Rail is not allowing me to buy a ticket for any Transpennine train between MIA and MAN. Should this be a cause for concern?

Fokx

I'm trying to book a journey from Manchester Airport to Derby on Sunday 11th September. Any departure after 5pm. But National Rail is not allowing me to buy a ticket for any Transpennine train between MIA and MAN. Should this be a cause for concern?
There are no Transpennine services between the Airport and Manchester on Sundays, only Northern and TFW

D365

Veteran Member
There are no Transpennine services between the Airport and Manchester on Sundays, only Northern and TFW
Thanks, I have no clue why National Rail is even showing me those trains in that case.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Looking at RTT there is a rough hourly TPE service on the Scotland services (around XX:10), no TfW services as they terminate at Piccadilly

Fokx

Looking at RTT there is a rough hourly TPE service on the Scotland services (around XX:10)

They won’t operate due to the reduced Sunday timetable and will likely be removed from the system close to the date

(I wasn’t aware about TFW though)

Thanks, I have no clue why National Rail is even showing me those trains in that case.
They’ll likely be cancelled due to a short notice change to the timetable closer to the date.

It’s been happening for months now, previously caused by the guard overtime ban/action but is now allegedly for ‘reliability’

Status
Not open for further replies.