• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

Purple Orange

On Moderation
It was buried in a piece I read on a TfN newsletter I subscribe to that came this week

Having just got another newsletter from TfN they are saying the expect the Integrated Rail Plan to be published at the end of March

Let’s hope so. Decisions need to be made.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Are they stalling until there's some idea of what passenger numbers will come back to after Covid?

Probably not a good reason to delay this type of project, but could be a good enough excuse.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Are they stalling until there's some idea of what passenger numbers will come back to after Covid?

Probably not a good reason to delay this type of project, but could be a good enough excuse.

If that is given as a reason then there is no reason for any rail infrastructure being built. At the same token, people do not like working from home all the time.

Class 170101

Established Member
If we get electrification over Standedge then this would almost certainly provide W12 clearance too.

Does it have to provide W12 clearance though? Can it be less now due to this news from Cardiff reference Current Resistant paint added under the bridge there to reduce clearances? Same for Leicester Station Bridge too?

The vast majority of our rail routes were designed during the Victorian times, this often means large structures, like bridges, need to be reconstructed before electrification is installed, meaning a more innovative solution was required.

In this case, however, Network Rail used electric-resistant paint, a unique coating applied to the underside of the bridge.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Does it have to provide W12 clearance though? Can it be less now due to this news from Cardiff reference Current Resistant paint added under the bridge there to reduce clearances? Same for Leicester Station Bridge too?

The purpose of the resistive paint is to allow tighter electrical clearances under metallic structures which the wire might strike an arc to, so the structure doesn't have to be raised or the track lowered (or at least not so much). These tend to be horizontal (though I can think of at least one sloping one on Transpennine) so if there's enough height for the wire above the centre of the track there will usually be enough at the top corners where containers stick out further.

Arch bridges and tunnels are what causes the problems for gauging, because they provide less clearance in those top corners. These aren't made of metal so the resistive paint isn't relevant. If one of these needs re-building or the track lowering then it will normally provide both W12 and electrification clearance. I suppose there could be a structure somewhere where for some reason adding W12 clearance costs a lot more than just adding electrification clearance, in which case the value engineering may result in W12 being abandoned.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Arch bridges and tunnels are what causes the problems for gauging, because they provide less clearance in those top corners. These aren't made of metal so the resistive paint isn't relevant. If one of these needs re-building or the track lowering then it will normally provide both W12 and electrification clearance. I suppose there could be a structure somewhere where for some reason adding W12 clearance costs a lot more than just adding electrification clearance, in which case the value engineering may result in W12 being abandoned.

Plenty of routes with electrification that aren’t W12 cleared. Clearly it is cheaper to do W12 and electrification concurrently, rather than separately, however it’s quite conceivable that future electrification could be done without W12 clearance.

Halish Railway

Established Member
Here’s some pictures that I took earlier today at Ulleskelf, I’m not sure if there’s anything that needs to be added to the ‘Progressometer’.

FDE115F9-55E6-4332-A5A4-F69EC854A75F.jpeg6A5BF1A7-8098-41B3-AD4B-8B281388604F.jpeg
1F54FB37-78DE-4BEE-AA83-D33FC5246F23.jpeg
3B89DF54-64A1-4842-9C3C-22B1EC7414AA.jpeg

As well as some of the steelwork that’s in the Ulleskelf works compound.
4AA0FE77-8E8F-4E17-AC63-345BCBB6BF30.jpegDFA38F51-B652-4142-AFB8-9D342EEC7CBB.jpeg

hwl

Established Member
What’s with the ‘gold plated’ Series 1 OLE? I thought that was only used for 125mph+ capable operations?
The huge Series 1 stuff at this location looks like is to deal with tensioning at the end of wire runs including the tensorex spring tensioners e.g. the double horizontal portals with very tall masts.

59CosG95

Established Member
Here’s some pictures that I took earlier today at Ulleskelf, I’m not sure if there’s anything that needs to be added to the ‘Progressometer’.

View attachment 91988View attachment 91991
View attachment 91989
View attachment 91990

As well as some of the steelwork that’s in the Ulleskelf works compound.
View attachment 91992View attachment 91993
Definitely lots for the Progressometer! Like further north at Colton & Brumber Hill, masts seem almost exclusively on the Normanton side - I expect midweek night possessions on the Leeds lines are rather dearer to come by.
The huge Series 1 stuff at this location looks like is to deal with tensioning at the end of wire runs including the tensorex spring tensioners e.g. the double horizontal portals with very tall masts.
I can definitely see at least 1 Tensorex Monoboom ready to go up in the compound. Picture no.3 seems to show 2 very tall H-section masts in a row between the Normanton lines - I suspect this is to give any ancillary wires (EW/Auto-Transformer feeders and their ilk) sufficient clearance over the RRAP. They could also be for across-track spanwire disconnectors for switching purposes.
Pictures 1 & 2 show a very interesting mast position - I guess that polyurea paint might be used on Ulleskelf's footbridge...

hwl

Established Member
I can definitely see at least 1 Tensorex Monoboom ready to go up in the compound. Picture no.3 seems to show 2 very tall H-section masts in a row between the Normanton lines - I suspect this is to give any ancillary wires (EW/Auto-Transformer feeders and their ilk) sufficient clearance over the RRAP. They could also be for across-track spanwire disconnectors for switching purposes.
Agreed, there is certainly more than just a normal end of wire run here, quite how much more is the interesting bit given it temporaty status a near the end of this section of electrification.

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I expect midweek night possessions on the Leeds lines are rather dearer to come by
Section 5 possessions of either set of lines are ten a penny. With there being a ladder giving full connectivity between all lines at either end, it's not a big issue.

59CosG95

Established Member
March's works tracker is now out. https://www.networkrail.co.uk/wp-co...-Church-Fenton-Project-Tracker-March-2021.pdf

We’re pleased to present you with Issue 5 of our monthly ‘project tracker’, which is designed to give you a better overview of upcoming work as we continue to improve the railway between York and Church Fenton. Included are details of work scheduled for March. To learn more about the York to Church Fenton Improvement scheme, please visit our dedicated webpage: www.networkrail.co.uk/York2C

Last edited by a moderator:

rail66

piling works to start in april at collyhurst and miles platting:
https://www.networkrail.co.uk/runni...nine-route-upgrade/manchester-to-stalybridge/

We will be carrying out engineering work between Manchester Victoria and Stalybridge which involves installing steel piles next to the railway to support future masts and electric wires.

The piling will be a seven-month overnight programme initially starting at track in Collyhurst and Miles Platting before moving along to other areas. We are carrying this activity out overnight for safety reasons, as work of this type cannot be done whilst trains are running during the day.

Geeves

Established Member
When someone posted that zoom chat about the works it mentioned that the metal work was to go up around Collyhurst and Miles Platting but no mention of the actual wiring.

Its a pitty even though it mentions Rochdale its not really going to see anything.

Halish Railway

Established Member
When did piling start on the Colton Junction to Church Fenton works? Just asking as I want to gauge the point at which the structures when up, bearing in mind that the first structures on the aforementioned route went up on the 16th of February.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
No but I bet you they do at least 100 metre wire overlap on the line to Rochdale to save disruption at a later date.

If there are 4 track portal structures on the section just before the routes diverge at Miles Platting, you'll probably need that section of the Rochdale routes wired beyond the crossovers in order to guard against a wrong route causing a dewirement or pantograph damage.

adamedwards

So will the wiring actually go beyond Miles Platting on any route, or is this a electric up the hill only?

Roger B

Victoria-Stalybridge, from the NR press release upthread.
Is that wiring some / all (?) platforms at Stalyvegas without any changes to existing trackwork (for now), or are they making provision for subsequent changes as required later for NPR?

zwk500

Veteran Member
Is that wiring some / all (?) platforms at Stalyvegas without any changes to existing trackwork (for now), or are they making provision for subsequent changes as required later for NPR?
I don't know I'm afraid. The answer may well be further back in the thread.

WAO

We have to read the NR statement very carefully. What it said is:

"We will be carrying out engineering work between Manchester Victoria and Stalybridge which involves installing steel piles next to the railway to support future masts and electric wires.

The piling will be a seven-month overnight programme initially starting at track in Collyhurst and Miles Platting before moving along to other areas. We are carrying this activity out overnight for safety reasons, as work of this type cannot be done whilst trains are running during the day."

Whether it means full wiring to Stalybridge or just piles for future tophamper, installed while the blockade is on, who knows?

I'll wait until I see a picture posted of masts, cantlevers and SPS stacked in the new compound.

WAO