• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

59CosG95

Established Member
Piles are also going in near Ashton-under-Lyne now. While I can't see any specific photos, it looks like the piling teams aren't hanging about!

Further down the line at Stalybridge...squares to mark out more foundations have appeared in the ballast at Stalybridge. (https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/i...nchesterleeds/&do=findComment&comment=4418730)
As the eastern end of the station is on a viaduct, the foundations there will probably be concrete.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spartacus

Established Member
Piles are also going in near Ashton-under-Lyne now. While I can't see any specific photos, it looks like the piling teams aren't hanging about!

Further down the line at Stalybridge...squares to mark out more foundations have appeared in the ballast at Stalybridge. (https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/i...nchesterleeds/&do=findComment&comment=4418730)
As the eastern end of the station is on a viaduct, the foundations there will probably be concrete.

I’m sure I saw something similar near Batley, I’ll keep my eyes peeled later.

Revaulx

So it looks like the Stalybridge through platforms are being electrified, and not just the bay(s) pro tem.

Which presumably means that any layout changes/enhancements have been deferred.

59CosG95

Established Member
TransPennine Wiring West Progressometer Post 2.0 - accurate to 02/07/21.
Route announced as 'to be wired' in CP6: Manchester Victoria - Miles Platting, and potentially Miles Platting - Stalybridge.

All mileages from Manchester Victoria unless stated otherwise. Bridge mileages are approximated where noted.

W1a. Man Vic Station - Miles Platting; 0m 0ch to 1m 30ch
  • Wired and energised to just W of Rochdale Rd O/B (A664) 2018-19.
  • Work underway to ease the curve at Miles Platting Jct, raising max. speed to 55mph.
  • Piling underway in Miles Platting & Collyhurst; this is a 7-month programme which starts at Miles Platting/Collyhurst before moving on to 'other areas'.
  • The underbridges at Dantzic Street, Aspin Lane, Irk Street & Gould Street will be closed for reconstruction works (at Dantzic & Gould) between 15 July & 25 August.
  • The underbridge at Queens Rd (Miles Platting) will be completely closed for reconstruction between 17 July & 16 August.
  • Bromley Street will be completely closed for reconstruction between 8 July & 30 August.

W1b. Miles Platting - Philips Park West Jct - Baguley Fold Jct - Ashton Moss North Jct - Ashton-u-Lyne - Stalybridge Jct - Stalybridge (exc.); 1m 30ch to 7m 63ch
  • Brewery Triangle (Miles Platting Jct/Brewery Jct/PP West Jct) - unknown whether the Brewery Lines (linking PP W Jct & Brewery Jct) will be electrified.
  • Philips Park Triangle (PP West Jct/PP South Jct/Baguley Fold Jct) - unknown whether the Baguley Lines (linking PP S Jct & Baguley Fold Jct) and the Ashburys Lines (linking PP W Jct & Ashburys East Jct) will also be electrified.
  • Ashton Moss North Jct - unknown whether the Crowthorne Lines (towards Denton) will be electrified, and if so, how far.
  • Piles are starting to be installed west of Ashton-u-Lyne.
  • In the area around Ashton-u-Lyne Station, white painted squares have been marked out on the platforms on trackside, indicating possible locations of future masts. At least 4 have been confirmed. A Keltbray Electrification compound is currently in operation at Ashton Moss too. Not sure if this is still in operation.
  • Major obstacle(s): Katherine St Tunnel (6m 55ch to 6m 60ch).

W2a. Stalybridge Station; 7m 63ch
  • Within the station, around 7 yellow squares had been spraypainted onto P2/3 & P4/5, marking out the possible locations of future masts. So far, these had only run as far as the ends of the bays (P3 & P5). It is not known whether these still remain.
  • Wooden squares have also been marked out in the ballast, between P2 & P4 (i.e. in the 10-foot). Possible future masts?

W1a. Manchester Victoria to Miles Platting - under construction.
W1b. Miles Platting to Stalybridge - under construction.
W2a. Stalybridge Station
W2b. Stalybridge to Huddersfield - Development of final scheme scope to GRIP 3.
W3. Huddersfield to Ravensthorpe - TWAO submitted.
W4. Ravensthorpe to Leeds - development to design.
W5. Morley Station - development to design.

Do let me know if I've missed anything!

Phillipimo

A photo taken of Miles Platting curve on a train heading for Manchester Victoria today 04/07/2021. Sleepers are being laid on the new formation. IMG_20210704_160531_1-01.jpeg

CAF397

So it looks like the Stalybridge through platforms are being electrified, and not just the bay(s) pro tem.

Which presumably means that any layout changes/enhancements have been deferred.
Using the OLE booms you can still realign the OLE beneath if there's any Pway changes in the future

Purple Orange

On Moderation
For W2b (Stalybridge-Huddesfield), is it anticipated that the scale of work will be similar in scope to W3 Huddersfield-Raventhorpe?

Revaulx

Seems unlikely - the OLE may be more difficult but I don't believe any extra track is being added.
Even if any extra track were to be added (e.g. longer loops), it wouldn’t involve anything like the amount of work that Hudds-Ravensthorpe is going to need.

59CosG95

Established Member
Any signs of new work on E1? There was a big blockade this weekend just gone but I'm not sure what impact the weekend's thunderstorms have had.

All 4 lines towards Church Fenton were T3'd south west of Colton, so it's probably that quite a bit got done, despite the weather.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Even if any extra track were to be added (e.g. longer loops), it wouldn’t involve anything like the amount of work that Hudds-Ravensthorpe is going to need.
Indeed. Due to the hilly terrain west of Standege there are few places where loops might be possible. These are where there were tracks alongside over a reasonable length:
  • Up loop of about 420m just north (east) of Mossley, but entrance and exit would be on a curve.
  • Down loop of about 480m on former yards and sidings just west of Greenfield, with one new structure. Exit also on a curve but a somewhat gentler one.
  • Down loop of about 420m between the former halt at Dark Lane and Saddleworth Viaduct, where the Delph branch ran parallel.
  • Up loop of over 1000m where the Micklehurst Loop ran alongside, south of Diggle, exit on a curve.
  • Doesn't seem to be any scope to extend the Down loop at Diggle Junction.
Not looked specifically east of Standedge Tunnel, but as it's a former four-track there ought to be scope here, even if the remaining tracks needed slewing across.

But the question is more about whether loops are needed. On a line like this with a frequent passenger service, freight trains leaving a loop on an ascending gradient are likely to be so slow that the preference might be not to loop them in the first place. The freight can rattle downhill at a good speed, but as the line speed isn't much higher it can probably keep ahead of the passenger trains anyway, and if it gets looped the extended braking distance has a similar effect to risk delaying the following passenger train. Of the above I'd say only the Diggle Up loop is realistic, because the area of braking (in Standedge Tunnel) is level and the exit is descending. A Down loop around Marsden would have similar benefits, but unfortunately the best places to put it are closer to Huddersfield.

Phillipimo

Any signs of new work on E1? There was a big blockade this weekend just gone but I'm not sure what impact the weekend's thunderstorms have had.

All 4 lines towards Church Fenton were T3'd south west of Colton, so it's probably that quite a bit got done, despite the weather.
Three photos of track replacement as Ulleskelf.

We’re replacing track between Leeds and York this weekend to keep journeys reliable on this busy line
Our teams are working throughout today meaning some journeys will be by bus
Please continue check before you travel!

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
No doubt if i trawl back through 4302 posts i will find out what benefits really accrue from wiring to Church Fenton. OK its a few miles nearer to Leeds and keeps the teams honing their skills but only TPE will be able to use it. What was the logic of doing it and why didn't they just crack onto Leeds?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
No doubt if i trawl back through 4302 posts i will find out what benefits really accrue from wiring to Church Fenton. OK its a few miles nearer to Leeds and keeps the teams honing their skills but only TPE will be able to use it. What was the logic of doing it and why didn't they just crack onto Leeds?

Likely to be changes to the layout south of CF with HS2 / NPR.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Not if, say, the strategy for that part of the world is confirmed in the Integrated Rail Plan.
Will we see that before parliament rises in a couple of weeks though?

Mind you don't know how much additional traffic would accrue from going to Leeds beyond TPE currently?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Part of it will probably be to demonstrate that NR's costs of electrification are under control, which will feed into approving the next stage.
It also validates the OHLE design, which is different to previous projects.
I've no idea how that is going, though.
The flat terrain doesn't feel like the most challenging environment on the route, though "Fenton" suggests maybe soggy ground conditions.

InOban

Established Member
A few less diesel engines under the York roof. And it kept a squad and their equipment in use and practice. Presumably they're now piling at Stalybridge?

WAO

Also the 19 TPE Bi-modes will presumably have a few extra juice miles. The bean counters can then check the savings which should be worthwhile.

WAO

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Also the 19 TPE Bi-modes will presumably have a few extra juice miles. The bean counters can then check the savings which should be worthwhile.

WAO
That is the only benefit in the short term, enabling the TPE bi-modes to transfer to diesel just south of York (possibly ignoring one or two LNER bi-modes workings each day).

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
That is the only benefit in the short term, enabling the TPE bi-modes to transfer to diesel just south of York (possibly ignoring one or two LNER bi-modes workings each day).
It does seem a bizarre choice would have been far better to keep going up the MML but what do we know. Mind you if TPE are curtailed to South of Newcastle now must free a few extra 802 sets that could work some Scarborough-Liverpools for some more juice running rather than diesel under the wires.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Mind you if TPE are curtailed to South of Newcastle now must free a few extra 802 sets that could work some Scarborough-Liverpools for some more juice running rather than diesel under the wires.

Probably cost more on driver training than you’d save in diesel.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Decarbonising will cost society more than the status quo but needs to be done.

Electricity price increases have outrun inflation for a decade that was the only way to finance wind turbines and solar cells.

Rail industry needs to push for the low hanging fruit and maximise use of the BiModes on routes that have under the wires diesel running currently.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Both links at York sign Scarbados. There'd be enough 802 drivers to operate a few diagrams a day, even today.

Might be worth a look at some of the May 22 timetable consultations (if you haven't got access another way) to see what that implies in terms of diagrams and hence stock... ;)

59CosG95

Established Member
TransPennine Wiring East Progressometer Post 9.0 - accurate to 06/07/21.
Route announced as 'to be wired' in CP6: Church Fenton - Colton Jct.

E1. Church Fenton North Jct (NOC/CFM 10m 36ch) to Colton Jct (NOC 5m 41ch/ECM4 182m 79ch)

Electrification work underway.
Southern limit of OLE confirmed to be short of Church Fenton Stn itself due to
a) HS2 Phase 2b works; and
b) the Common Ln Overbridge/Rose Lane UWC situation (i.e. "Steventon with S&C")
With completion scheduled for October 2022; steelwork up in May 2021 (Normanton side only) & wires up in Jan 2022.
Leeds side steelwork originally planned for Autumn 2021, but work has been brought forward.

Colton Jn - Colton Lane O/B:
  • 3 S1 TTC pairs up (at a guess: NOC/09/07, NOC/09/09 & NOC/09/11 over the Normanton lines, with NOC/09/08, NOC/09/10 & NOC/09/12 over the Leeds lines), followed by a S1 Monoboom (NOC/09/13), a UKMS Std portal (NOC/09/14), another S1 TTC pair (NOC/09/15 & NOC/09/16 over the Normanton & Leeds lines respectively), a second Monoboom (NOC/09/17), then 4 TTC pairs to Colton Lane O/B over both the Leeds & Normanton Lines. The monobooms signify an overlap.
  • Over the Normanton lines, all 4 TTCs south of the overlap are Series 1 (NOC/09/18, NOC/09/20, NOC/10/01 and NOC/10/04); the TTCs over the Leeds lines include a UKMS Std TTC (structure no. NOC/10/02) which also appears to cover the DL/UL crossover. The other 3 Leeds lines' TTCs (NOC/09/19, NOC/09/21 plus NOC/10/03) are Series 1.
  • On the Normanton side, mast brackets for the cantilevers are now starting to appear - these will be of the Siemens "SICAT SA" type seen at Stevenage P5 & Paisley Gilmour Street - Gourock. The brackets are going up on the mast legs for the Up Normanton, and on stovepipes (where fitted). Earth Wire brackets are also appearing now.

Colton Lane O/B - Brumber Hill O/B (i.e. Colton South Ladder)
  • All steelwork aside from one monoboom (NOC/10/15; the struts & boom of which remain outstanding) appears to have been installed between Colton Ln & Brumber Hill (i.e. over Colton South Ladder); the TTCs are all Series 1 except for one over the Leeds lines (NOC/10/08) and one over the Normanton lines (NOC/10/xx).
  • Another structure on the Normanton side (perhaps NOC/10/11) has been fitted with a 'tongue' for a strut tie, and mounting brackets for Tensorex units facing towards Normanton/Leeds; its twin on the Leeds side (NOC/10/12?) has them too, but facing towards York. This makes me think that Colton Sth Ladder might be tangentially wired rather than with a traditional "cross contact" arrangement. Additionally, NOC/10/11's tie pile has no base plate, whereas NOC/10/12's does.
  • Immediately north of Brumber Hill O/B, a UKMS 'vierendeel' portal (similar to those used on the GWML in the 1990s) has been installed, possibly for MPA use.

Brumber Hill O/B - Bolton Percy O/B (Oxton Lane?):
  • South of Brumber Hill Bridge, almost all S1 TTCs appear to be up and boomed as far as signals Y745 (DL)/Y746 (UL)/Y747 (DN)/Y748 (UN).
  • S1 monoboom NOC/11/03 now has in-running stovepipes over all 4 lines, and brackets have been installed on those over the DN & UN. Its overlap compadre (NOC/11/08), 3 spans south, is now fully boomed, but the strut on the Leeds side is still outstanding.
  • South of that overlap are 7 S1 TTC pairs, followed by a UKMS Std PF DC portal (at a guess) for a mid-point anchor (MPA). A further 2 pairs of S1 TTCs are up south of that, along with two additional S1 TTCs on the Leeds side (NOC/12/02 & NOC/12/04).
  • NOC/12/02 & NOC/12/04's twins on the Normanton side of the line (NOC/12/01 & NOC/12/03) await installation; as far as I can make out, 12/01 is another S1 TTC, while 12/03 is a UKMS Std TTC.
  • A handful of masts (UKMS standard I think) are up between the Normanton lines on the old site of Bolton Percy station; those adjacent to the Up Normanton (NOC/12/05?; NOC/12/08; possibly NOC/12/11) are taller to allow increased Earth Wire heights over the RRAP at Bolton Percy. EW clamps have already been attached.
  • The masts for the Dn Normanton (NOC/12/06; NOC/12/09; NOC/12/12) are shorter as they have no earth wire and will be bonded directly to the traction return rail. NOC/12/06 also has a back-tie pile north-east of it.
    The corresponding masts for the Leeds lines are S1 TTCs (NOC/12/07; NOC/12/10; NOC/12/13). Another mast (NOC/12/14) is in next to the bridge, and will support OLE over the Up Normanton.

Bolton Percy O/B (Oxton Lane?) - Ulleskelf:
  • Between Bolton Percy & Ulleskelf, around 7 S1 TTCs, 5 S1 single track masts and a monoboom (now boomed) are up.
  • Immediately south of bridge NOC-15 (Bolton Percy/Oxton Lane O/B)), there are two more structures presumed to have gone in; NOC/12/17 (probably a SSA mast for the Up Normanton) and NOC/12/18 (a monoboom for the other 3 tracks).
  • Two UKMS Twin Cantilever masts (pre-fab double channels/PF DCs) are in next to the Normanton lines south of Oxton Ln; these are NOC/12/19 & NOC/12/20. A further two are up behind them; these are NOC/12/22 & NOC/12/23. On NOC/12/19 & NOC/12/22 (both Up Normanton), the brackets for the overlap cantilevers are in place. NOC/12/19 & NOC/12/23 (Dn Normanton) also have EW brackets.
  • The two S1 TTCs opposite the Normanton Lines' pairs of Twin Cantilever masts (NOC/12/21 in line with 12/19 & 12/20; NOC 12/24 in line with 12/22 & 12/23) both have twin stovepipe assemblies for overlap cantilevers assembled for the Up Leeds line.
  • On the Normanton Lines, south of signals Y741 (DL)/CF742 (UL)/Y743 (DN)/CF744 (UN) and north of the bridge over the River Wharfe (NOC/17N), 4 S1 TTCs have gone up (with booms). An additional one is up on the Leeds side (sans boom).
  • South of the Wharfe, there are 4 UKMS Std STC masts acting as anchors; no's are at a guess NOC/13/23 (UN), NOC/13/24 (DN), NOC/13/25 (UL) & NOC/13/26 (DL). These are followed to the south by 2 S1 TTC pairs with overlap brackets on the mast legs; NOC/13/27 (Normantons) + NOC/13/28 (Leeds'), then NOC/13/29 + NOC/13/30 as above. A S1 Monoboom Anchor (presumably NOC/13/31, over all 4 tracks) completes the overlap.
  • South of the overlap above, two more S1 TTCs are up over the Normantons; the Leeds lines have a corresponding pair but I've seen no sign of masts atop them yet. No's are presumed to be NOC/13/32 (Normantons) + NOC/13/33 (Leeds') then NOC/13/34 + NOC/13/35 as above.
  • North of New Rd (B1223) O/B, 3 piles between the Dn & Up Normanton lines are also in place, and clearances from the railway boundary to the Dn Leeds line are tight, so I suspect 3-track TTCs will go in over the Dn Normanton & both Leeds lines (unless more piles for the Leeds lines come later). This premonition was indeed correct, and 3 3-track TTCs (UKMS Std) have gone in, covering the Dn Normanton & both Leeds lines; their numbers are NOC/14/02, NOC/14/04 & NOC/14/06. 3 more piles are up in the Up Normanton Cess, and bear 3 STC masts (NOC/14/01, NOC/14/03 & NOC/14/05).
  • Within Ulleskelf itself, 3 single track masts are also in place for the Up Normanton; one between the road bridge & the footbridge (presumed NOC/14/07), one just north of the 'Wernick Hire' welfare units (possibly NOC/14/13?), and one opposite the green Murphy containers), and a pair south of the station that are very tall indeed (perhaps to give aerial clearance over the RRAP which they sandwich) - one of which is confirmed to be NOC/14/17. Two or three 3-track TTCs (masts by the Dn Leeds, booms over both Leeds lines & Up Normanton) are also up in the station now; roughly parallel with the STCs. Parallel to NOC/14/17, there is another STC (NOC/14/18?) for the Dn Normanton, and a S1 TTC for the Leeds lines (presumed NOC/14/19).
  • There is also, in the 6-foot between the DN & UN, a mast for a UKMS Std Portal (probably another MPA) - the portal is now complete and spans the Leeds lines plus the Dn Normanton.

Ulleskelf - Church Fenton North Jn (Limit of Wiring):
  • Between Ulleskelf & CF North Jn, around 20 or so masts (mainly S1 TTCs) are up on the Up Normanton side. Oddly enough, a standard UKMS mast (either a PF double channel or a UC - it's hard to tell from a telephoto shot) is up north of the current CF726/CF724 gantry. It is assumed that all the masts for this have now gone up, as photos of progress are thin on the ground!
  • South of the MPA at Ulleskelf (see above), a pair of S1 TTCs are in; one between the UN & DN, the other in the DL cess. The former of these looks like it has mast brackets for 'back-to-back' registration of the UN, as well as registering the DN from its boom. South of that, a UKMS Std TTC is present (prev. mentioned above) - it gives adequate signal sighting for signal CF 738 (UN). A S1 TTC is parallel to it on the Leeds side.
    Another pair of S1 TTCs are up south of the two structures mentioned above.
  • At Church Fenton North Jn, 4 masts have gone up south of the signal gantry supporting signals CF726 (UN) & CF724 (UL); these are 2 no. Tensorex Monoboom Anchor masts sandwiching 2 pairs of S1 style hook-and-pin TTC masts. This must be for an overlap - potentially the southern limit of works. Both overlap monobooms have been fully masted & boomed.

Track Sectioning Cabin to be built in Church Fenton.

Compounds established at:
Church Fenton;
Ulleskelf;
Bolton Percy (Oxton Lane);
Braegate Lane;
Earfit(ts) Lane;
Copmanthorpe (Moor Lane);
Tadcaster Road, Copmanthorpe (by A64); and Dringhouses (Model Railway).
(N.B. All dates are subject to alteration, whether due to COVID-19 or otherwise)

E2. Leeds Departures (presumed Leeds - Neville Hill - Cross Gates) - Development of final scheme scope to GRIP 3.

E3. Cross Gates to Micklefield - Development of final scheme scope to GRIP 3.

E4. Micklefield to Church Fenton - Development of final scheme scope to GRIP 3.

Landowners in the area of Rose Lane UWC (10m 79ch from York), Poulters UWC (11m 14ch) & Adamsons UWC (11m 36ch) have been notified of details to close the crossings and build a flyover & associated new highway.

Do let me know if I've missed anything!

Wtloild

WAO
Obviously there's nothing yet in the pipeline, but at some point in the next decade CrossCountry's fleet must surely begin to include bi-modes, which would be a few more trains using these wires.