• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AndyHudds

Fieldhouse Lane (MVL3-98) has already had much of its work done: https://thetrupgrade.co.uk/fieldhouselane/
I think the only part that *might* be outstanding is the ramp on the Up Side.

Red Doles Road (MVL3/-96) U/B is very much in progress, with the concrete cill units for the proposed Fast Lines under construction.
Do you know if the work on Red Doles is going to cause a closure to the Public Footpath over the canal after the road finishes? I know work is currently on going and I can see no sign of any closure currently but just wondered of any furure plans to close.

On matchdays it's very well used as access to the stadium from that side of town, any closure would mean a hefty detour time wise and pee me off immensely as my grandson lives there and we use it as access to the match.

Bob55G

Do you know if the work on Red Doles is going to cause a closure to the Public Footpath over the canal after the road finishes? I know work is currently on going and I can see no sign of any closure currently but just wondered of any furure plans to close.

On matchdays it's very well used as access to the stadium from that side of town, any closure would mean a hefty detour time wise and pee me off immensely as my grandson lives there and we use it as access to the match.
There doesn't seem to be any current detail relating to that specific potential closure. Montgomery's business premises are just to the SE (canal path side) of the Red Doles Lane railway bridge and the only road access is under the railway. They don't appear to operate at weekends so it could be possible that temporary access limitations coincide with Town match days. Hopefully not the case!
UTT

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Cheers- hadn't realised the Bradfords were 150s now. They were 158s until fairly recently. With the Castlefords not running, there's no need for Platform 5 anyway as both 4a and 6 suffice for the two hourly services (Leeds and Bradford).

If the rumoured extension of the Piccadilly to Huddersfield stopper to York via Castleford goes ahead, then the Bradford using platform 5 means that Huddersfield gains a bidirectional platform, which would overcome a huge number of disruptive events.

jonesy3001

Established Member
The last of the overhead structures have gone up on the guide bridge line to stalybridge, how long will it be til we see the wires going up.

Last edited:

59CosG95

Established Member

jonesy3001

Established Member
Another update from the same fella on LinkedIn:

All wires through Stalybridge P1-5 are now physically run. Next step is the installation of all the in-span components (e.g. section insulators).
Excellent, just the guide bridge line to do then before the december switch on, wonder what traction they'll use to test the overheads, emu or electric loco, that's if there's any electric locos left in the country.

Excellent, just the guide bridge line to do then before the december switch on, wonder what traction they'll use to test the overheads, emu or electric loco, that's if there's any electric locos left in the country.
Perhaps a class 88 would be appropriate given that they might, one day, replace the TPE class 68s?

adamedwards

Wouldn't it be great to have an early a/c loco be the first towing a class 76, assuming that's possible?

superkev

Established Member
Looking back in this thread on work started on the Stalybridge line electrifcation around 2015.
If it eventually opens next year I make that about a mile of Electrification a year.
The 5 miles Church Fenton to Colton, still not live, even longer.
At that rate the ecml to Leeds would have taken 200 years.
K

Geeves

Established Member
To be fair, in that time it's been paused, cancelled and paused. They rebuilt Stalybridge again, Miles Platting, Ashton Moss and Victoria East Junction (that wasn't in the 2015 plans) when they realized throwing up the wires as is wasn't the best idea if you need to take them down again.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
To be fair, in that time it's been paused, cancelled and paused. They rebuilt Stalybridge again, Miles Platting, Ashton Moss and Victoria East Junction (that wasn't in the 2015 plans) when they realized throwing up the wires as is wasn't the best idea if you need to take them down again.
This exactly but I do understand the OP's frustration.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Looking back in this thread on work started on the Stalybridge line electrification around 2015.
If it eventually opens next year I make that about a mile of Electrification a year.
The 5 miles Church Fenton to Colton, still not live, even longer.
At that rate the ecml to Leeds would have taken 200 years.
K
You are the OP! 10 years minus two days.
I meant the OP in the above post sorry for the confusion.

td97

Established Member
Didn't they use a Pendolino on Euxton Jn-Manchester, with its OHLE monitoring capability?
Yes but not route cleared to run to Stalybridge. Wigan to Lostock is a possibility as that project includes 390 route clearance.
Something similar to the 67+90+coach+DVT+67 test train formation is more likely.

td97

Established Member
Are 390s cleared to run into Man Vic? Or just via Deansgate to Piccadilly?
Only hauled (non-passenger service) into Victoria (and through to Miles Platting Jn). They are cleared for passenger service from Deal St Jn to Windsor Bridge South Jn (i.e. through Salford Central) which I don't think has ever been utilised.
Obviously cleared from Windsor Bridge South through Ordsall Lane, Water St and Castlefield.

fishwomp

Wouldn't it be great to have an early a/c loco be the first towing a class 76, assuming that's possible?
EM1 from York, EM2 from Manchester - dragged by something like the Class 82 from Barrow Hill built at Gorton (is that right?). Just got to get that 82 at Barrow Hill fixed and running by then. That'd truly be a demonstration of how amazingly modern high-tech and hard-to-do all this electrification malarkey is!

Whistler40145

Established Member
Although it’s been mentioned regarding the near completion of the OHLE between Church Fenton and Colton Junction, has there been any progress on the Neville Hill to Church Fenton section?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Although it’s been mentioned regarding the near completion of the OHLE between Church Fenton and Colton Junction, has there been any progress on the Neville Hill to Church Fenton section?

No, because there is major track work on the section to be done first.