• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I still think lack of clarity in workbanks, bad project management and political interference cause far more ballooning of costs than H&S does.

i can think of several electrification project managers who eould like a word. Come and do it yourself!

jonesy3001

Established Member
What is the progress with the TRU upgrade, I know the stalybridge lines are closed overnight for electrification works before the news years day switch on, but the wires might not be used until either may or december 2024.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
i can think of several electrification project managers who eould like a word. Come and do it yourself!
And I can think of several who fit the bill perfectly! It wasn't exclusive or a blanket statement, I know and work with many very very good project rail project managers, but there is some out there that end up out of their depth. And actually more prevalent is them being overworked with lack of recruitment causing issues. It doesn't take many to see a project lose control. It is the same for all professions in fairness. I'm no armchair expert I am very much in the machine trying to get stuff delivered.

I just want to add, I think the other two points in my 3 points are far more influential than the Project Management to the cost overruns, my dissertation research many many years ago particularly focussed on those two as main reasons.

59CosG95

Established Member
Just passed Colton Jn; teams of orangefolk are out and about in the Dn Leeds cess just SW of the junction and are installing elevated troughing routes, presumably to link up the switching structures at the new CWNS (Carrier Wire Neutral Section).
VolkerRail have also mobilised a bit more in the Dringhouses compound area, next to the Murphys welfare.

snowball

Established Member
A bridge replacement is due over Christmas but this one is an underbridge, A162 London Road, Barkston Ash.

(link is to Google Streetview of bridge)

AndrewE

Established Member
Beacons for class 802s to change mode on the move I believe.
I hadn't thought of those, I was wondering why "suburban" EMU's wouldn't be able to run between Stalybridge and Vic, or 769's on electric to Bolton or somewhere similar.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I hadn't thought of those, I was wondering why "suburban" EMU's wouldn't be able to run between Stalybridge and Vic, or 769's on electric to Bolton or somewhere similar.
Ah think that is waiting for more 323s, I'm sure northern will run the 769s for longer.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
It is not "London establishment" which is blocking railway investment but certain party which from what I recall has much larger support outside London than in London.

We do have anti-railway government, government pandering to its often rural support.
Another 3B to this project says otherwise

Richard Scott

Established Member
Perhaps easier to get road funding than rail funding (and a lot easier for roads funding with this current bunch of clowns).
What do you expect? Give me any government which has prioritised rail over road? It doesn't happen as there are vastly more road users than rail users.

Class 170101

Established Member
What do you expect? Give me any government which has prioritised rail over road?
I thought we might be getting close with Lord Adonis, Lord Mcloughlin (as he now is) and Boris Johnson.
It doesn't happen as there are vastly more road users than rail users.
Maybe so but we cannot keep covering the countryside in concrete even if the road transport go electric.

Richard Scott

Established Member
I thought we might be getting close with Lord Adonis, Lord Mcloughlin (as he now is) and Boris Johnson.

Maybe so but we cannot keep covering the countryside in concrete even if the road transport go electric.
No, but it won't change whichever government we have. It seems people think if we get a Labour government suddenly all our transport prayers will be answered but history tells me that isn't true and, if I'm honest, I don't see that changing.

Benjwri

Established Member
Roads are unfortunately essential to any future. Not least because there are many materials which are too big to be transported bytrain, not to mention transportation of them from where they are produced to a railway, and the road network is essential to this. Although this is perhaps a subjeect for another thread.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A reminder that this thread is for the discussion of Transpennine Route Upgrade and electrification updates.

thanks

Traf73

I tried to get an updated TRU programme on Friday but it is locked in the internal system. After going around the houses for a bit, it appears it has been locked pending a significant revision in the new year.

The Red Doles Road bridge is due to finally get lifted in during January though having been sat in storage for over twelve months.

snowball

Established Member
Press release

As people settle down to commence their New Year festivities, engineers working on Transpennine Route Upgrade (TRU) will start work at Mirfield station.

The upgrades, which are part of a major, multi-billion-pound programme of railway improvements between Manchester, Huddersfield, Leeds and York, will involve 663 metres of new track being installed, signal testing and work to the station platforms and Station Road footbridge.

Passengers travelling between Huddersfield and Leeds on Saturday 30 January through to Monday 1 January are being asked to check before they travel via National Rail Enquiries as some trains will be diverted and others will be replaced by buses.

While the upgrades take place, Station Road will be closed from Lowlands Road to Back Station Road. Diversions and signage will be in place.

The work at Mirfield station will bring passengers a number of benefits in the future, which include longer platforms that will enable longer trains with more seats to call at the station, additional waiting shelters and step-free access via lifts and a new footbridge.

This work is part of our wider programme spanning from Manchester to York, that will bring faster, greener and more reliable trains for passengers along the Transpennine route.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member

Saturday 30 January through to Monday 1 January

How does that work?
I assume someone mistyped 30th December and put January.
The next January with the 30th being a Saturday is 2027, meanwhile the 30th of this December is a Saturday

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I didn't even notice that typo... though I do wonder what the "Station Road Footbridge" being referred to in the press release is. There are no footbridges (yet) anywhere in the vicinity of Mirfield station.

AndyHudds

I tried to get an updated TRU programme on Friday but it is locked in the internal system. After going around the houses for a bit, it appears it has been locked pending a significant revision in the new year.

The Red Doles Road bridge is due to finally get lifted in during January though having been sat in storage for over twelve months.
Do we know when this is the date? The only reason I ask because if its a weekend, I suspect, the public footpath under the bridge will be closed blocking access to the Leeds Road area on a matchday, with a long detour.