• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

snowball

Established Member
I didn't even notice that typo... though I do wonder what the "Station Road Footbridge" being referred to in the press release is. There are no footbridges (yet) anywhere in the vicinity of Mirfield station.
Google satellite view appears to show that the bridge carrying the railway over Station Road has a somewhat separate piece on its south side, alongside the south side of the railway, roughly parallel to the railway. An old 1:25000 map from the 1950s appear to show it once carried a footpath. So maybe they mean that. I'm too lazy to look for it on the TWAO plans. Maybe it is to be brought back into use.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Perhaps easier to get road funding than rail funding (and a lot easier for roads funding with this current bunch of clowns).

What do you expect? Give me any government which has prioritised rail over road? It doesn't happen as there are vastly more road users than rail users.
I think £8 billion/pa for Network Rail's rolling maintenance programme says otherwise (in the 5-year CP settlements).
Plus a recent (2021) £96 billion for new development (HS2, NPR, EWR etc), not to mention the earlier and current major electrification projects.

Rail has had priority over road since before the coalition took office in 2010, and the money, or promise of it, is still there.
Whether DfT has directed the spend appropriately, or the rail industry has spent it wisely, are other stories.
Consider also how much new rolling stock has been ordered since 2010 as part of the franchise renewal round.
And Crossrail's £20 billion...
And the Covid subsidy...

quantinghome

Established Member
I think £8 billion/pa for Network Rail's rolling maintenance programme says otherwise (in the 5-year CP settlements).
Plus a recent (2021) £96 billion for new development (HS2, NPR, EWR etc), not to mention the earlier and current major electrification projects.

Rail has had priority over road since before the coalition took office in 2010, and the money, or promise of it, is still there.
Whether DfT has directed the spend appropriately, or the rail industry has spent it wisely, are other stories.
Consider also how much new rolling stock has been ordered since 2010 as part of the franchise renewal round.
And Crossrail's £20 billion...
And the Covid subsidy...
The problem is less the overall amount of money put into rail but rather the "shopping trolley" approach to spending with the government crashing from one side of the aisle to the other.

Electrify! Don't electrify! Electrify again! But not that bit!
Rolling stock orders, loads of them! Then no orders for years.
How many HS2 reviews have we had?
How many "plans" for the North?
GBR! ... or not!
How many times have the scopes of EWR and NPR changed?
Reverse Beeching! Reverse reverse-Beeching!

class26

The problem is less the overall amount of money put into rail but rather the "shopping trolley" approach to spending with the government crashing from one side of the aisle to the other.

GBR! ... or not!
Put like that (all of which are true) I wonder how much has been wasted on redtape and cosultants constantly revising schemes ?
The goverment need to look long into the mirror before they criticise

WesternBiker

GBR! ... or not!
Spot on. Rail is a long-term industry and the UK's depressing approach of feast and famine, with no long term plan - has arguably been entrenched since the 1955 Modernisation Plan.

Killingworth

Established Member
Spot on. Rail is a long-term industry and the UK's depressing approach of feast and famine, with no long term plan - has arguably been entrenched since the 1955 Modernisation Plan.
A close look at events before 1955 going back to the dawn of railways shows a fragmented approach across the nation! If the North Eastern Railway had ruled the roost the ECML might have been electrified before 1940 and we'd not have been worshipping Gresley's Pacifics. Digression and potential new thread alert!

quantinghome

Established Member
While there were certainly elements of stop-go to investment I'd argue BR had got it reasonably together from the mid-1970s to the early 1990s. The rollout of IC125 and associated linespeed improvements seem to have been done pretty well, though no doubt there were issues at the time. There was a more or less continuous rolling programme of electrification, culminating with the ECML. Route modernisation was happening in the SE. Regional Railways was in a bit of a holding pattern but even then there were gradual improvements being made through 'sprinterisation', and significant and continuous improvements in PTA areas.

Bayum

Established Member
There is a rather tall and splendid looking crane that has been set up over the last 24 hours on the outskirts of Barkston Ash on the A1 62 between Sherburn and Tadcaster. Main road between Sherborne and Tadcaster is closed at the roundabout so he’s going to create some challenging conditionsfor anyone living either side of that bridge. I’m just thankful. There are only two days left of the term and we are not having to think about staggered start times for our families and classes where I’m based!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder that this thread is for updates regarding Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification

If people wish to discuss historical matters, hypothetical matters, political matters or anything else not directly related to progress updates, we are very happy for these to be discussed but we just ask that they are posted in an appropriate thread, in the relevant forum section please.

Many thanks :)

Traf73

Do we know when this is the date? The only reason I ask because if its a weekend, I suspect, the public footpath under the bridge will be closed blocking access to the Leeds Road area on a matchday, with a long detour.
Typically it has gone back again. The walkway is currently planned for 06/02/24 and the bridge 17/02/24 & 18/02/24. I wouldn't bet my house on these dates staying fixed though. :D

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Google satellite view appears to show that the bridge carrying the railway over Station Road has a somewhat separate piece on its south side, alongside the south side of the railway, roughly parallel to the railway. An old 1:25000 map from the 1950s appear to show it once carried a footpath. So maybe they mean that. I'm too lazy to look for it on the TWAO plans. Maybe it is to be brought back into use.
If you mean the bridge I think you mean (the southernmost section of the station road bridges, which is beyond the stepped access to platform 3), I doubt that's the one being referred to in the press release. For one thing it isn't a footbridge, and isn't open to the public. It could potentially be used for pedestrian movements between the car park and the planned new footbridge to the island platform.

I'd be surprised if it was to be brought back into use for trains, as although platform 3 is to be taken out of use, that side of the formation will hold the fast lines. The existing railway footprint is wide enough for the new formation, so that bridge won't add anything that's needed.

snowball

Established Member
If you mean the bridge I think you mean (the southernmost section of the station road bridges, which is beyond the stepped access to platform 3), I doubt that's the one being referred to in the press release. For one thing it isn't a footbridge, and isn't open to the public. It could potentially be used for pedestrian movements between the car park and the planned new footbridge to the island platform.

I'd be surprised if it was to be brought back into use for trains, as although platform 3 is to be taken out of use, that side of the formation will hold the fast lines. The existing railway footprint is wide enough for the new formation, so that bridge won't add anything that's needed.
Yes, that's the bridge I meant. I wasn't attempting to suggest it would be brought back into use as anything but a footbridge (or conceivably a car bridge for access to a car park or something) over the road.

I've now looked at some of the TWAO plans but they don't clarify much. For example both the "before" and "after" diagrams on this plan
show the bridge as being there, but not apparently as being used for anything.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Yes, that's the bridge I meant. I wasn't attempting to suggest it would be brought back into use as anything but a footbridge (or conceivably a car bridge for access to a car park or something) over the road.

I've now looked at some of the TWAO plans but they don't clarify much. For example both the "before" and "after" diagrams on this plan
I'd have thought there isn't much room for parking spaces on the Huddersfield side of the bridge. Parking at Mirfield is a bit of a problem though, with demand far outstripping supply... so perhaps anywhere spaces can be squeezed in is worth looking at.

josh-j

PWI YouTube from the PWI quite up to date. Worth a watch imho
That's a really good video, thanks for highlighting it.

I didn't quite realise the extent of works to the east of Huddersfield until the flyover section of the presentation. Really happy this project is progressing!

GRALISTAIR

Established Member

I didn't quite realise the extent of works to the east of Huddersfield until the flyover section of the presentation. Really happy this project is progressing!
Indeed. It is taking longer than most of us would like - heck just look at the start date for this thread. However, it isprogressing and they seem to be doing a thorough job. Abs no doubt it is not just about electrification but a total upgrade. Great to see.

Meerkat

Established Member

I’m guessing that unused bridge is left there for sacrificial duties - 10’ 6” is seriously low, I would be worried about bikes on a roof rack!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I’m guessing that unused bridge is left there for sacrificial duties - 10’ 6” is seriously low, I would be worried about bikes on a roof rack!
I think it's more that there's no benefit to removing it, with the protection being a side benefit. I think it's also used for maintenence access. There's no "sacrificial" section if a high vehicle hits from the other direction, just the down mainline.

HurdyGurdy

I think it's more that there's no benefit to removing it, with the protection being a side benefit.

Even without a current or future use, unless the structure is unsafe or is otherwise required to be removed, I'm sure it will stay. I also agree that the structure isn't a footbridge, so unless it's a typo in the press release it's not the footbridge referred to there.

Looking at the planning drawing a couple of things are apparent. First being that the staircase access from Station Road to existing platforms 1 & 2 is shown as being infilled. The second is a reference to "Footbridge details" in a note of the structure on the proposed platforms 1 &2. It suggests to me that access to the new platforms will be via a footbridge (and presumably an accessible lift) spanning over the proposed Up Slow and Fast lines to the car park and pick-up/drop-off location adjacent to the existing platform 3. Perhaps its works associated with this proposed new footbridge which the press release is referring to?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Even without a current or future use, unless the structure is unsafe or is otherwise required to be removed, I'm sure it will stay. I also agree that the structure isn't a footbridge, so unless it's a typo in the press release it's not the footbridge referred to there.

Looking at the planning drawing a couple of things are apparent. First being that the staircase access from Station Road to existing platforms 1 & 2 is shown as being infilled. The second is a reference to "Footbridge details" in a note of the structure on the proposed platforms 1 &2. It suggests to me that access to the new platforms will be via a footbridge (and presumably an accessible lift) spanning over the proposed Up Slow and Fast lines to the car park and pick-up/drop-off location adjacent to the existing platform 3. Perhaps its works associated with this proposed new footbridge which the press release is referring to?
That was my thinking too- though the current car park and platform 3 is on the wrong side of station road from the island, so any new access will require a pedestrian walkway to the new bridge. This disused bridge under discussion would provide that. The drawings suggest as much.

Must say I'm not in favour of infilling the current stairwell, although there have been problems with subsidence on the island platform over the years particularly near the top of those stairs. One advantage of the stairs is the convenient access they provide to Mirfield village, the Lidl, and the Navigation Inn. Having to go "round the houses" to enter or exit the station will be a bit of a pain in the proverbial.

HurdyGurdy

That was my thinking too- though the current car park and platform 3 is on the wrong side of station road from the island, so any new access will require a pedestrian walkway to the new bridge.
My thinking was that a new footbridge from the island platforms 1/2, spanning over the Fast lines, would be that walkway. The structures shown on the proposed plan are not labelled as such, but look to be shafts for a lift and stairs on each side. The stairs on the platform side are straight, with a landing, those on the car park side have a landing with a 180 degree turn.

It also seems to be the case that a new staircase access from the opposite side of Station Road will be built to the new island platform by removing the bridge abutment on that side. That's the other part of the structure shown on the island platform. So will still be possible to get to/from Lidl and the Navigation without a hike.

Last edited:

Snow1964

Established Member

sjm77

There is a rather tall and splendid looking crane that has been set up over the last 24 hours on the outskirts of Barkston Ash on the A1 62 between Sherburn and Tadcaster. Main road between Sherborne and Tadcaster is closed at the roundabout so he’s going to create some challenging conditionsfor anyone living either side of that bridge. I’m just thankful. There are only two days left of the term and we are not having to think about staggered start times for our families and classes where I’m based!
This work has not gone ahead. The wind was too strong on Christmas Eve to operate said splendid crane. By the time the wind died down there was not time to complete the work in order to reopen the railway on 27th December. I have mixed views on this. Sure, those who are booked to travel between Leeds and York on 27th December based on a direct 22 minute journey time on TPEx or XC services will not want late notice timetable amendments or cancellations. On the other hand huge amounts of money has been spent on hiring the splendid crane and transporting to site, securing labour at Xmas day pay rates, setting up road diversiosn etc. I do wonder if maybe they should go ahead an implement rail diversions for the 27th to complete the job.

CAF397

On 'X' is a Transpennine Route Upgrade tweet about Christmas works.

One picture features a new point installed at Holgate, where as the other is a picture of fleshly installed piles on an unelectrified line.

Seeing as Miles Platting to Stalybridge, and Colton to Church Fenton is either complete or very nearly so, this is a new piece of railway to see piles.

From the location, it bears a very strong resemblance to between Micklefield Jn and Church Fenton, judging by the power lines.

This section hasn't as far as I know, been officially announced yet.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member

PWI YouTube from the recent PWI seminar - quite up to date. Worth a watch imho
Interesting particularly the attempt they are making to get away from having to monitor the track for seven days after installing piles - no wonder electrification has got so expensive.

Halish Railway

Established Member

One picture features a new point installed at Holgate, where as the other is a picture of fleshly installed piles on an unelectrified line.

Seeing as Miles Platting to Stalybridge, and Colton to Church Fenton is either complete or very nearly so, this is a new piece of railway to see piles.

From the location, it bears a very strong resemblance to between Micklefield Jn and Church Fenton, judging by the power lines.

It looks like its between Micklefield and Church Fenton, seen at 01:13:15 on this cab ride video.

Jozhua

Established Member

That was my reaction too to this! Pretty impressive scope.

If we go for the "upgrade the existing routes approach", quad tracking will be necessary.

Looks like they are using this opportunity for fairly significant improvements to speed?

Excited to see what impact this, along with the speeding up of slow bits done on other areas of track, has on journey times. Of course electrification will do a lot of good too, improving the performance of both express and regional services.

That location is very much between Micklefield and Church Fenton - I'd know that section of line anyday!

absolutelymilk

Established Member

Not sure I follow - isn't Micklefield to Church Fenton contained within Colton to Church Fenton?

EDIT: Realised I was looking at the wrong Colton!

Ploughman

Established Member
This work has not gone ahead. The wind was too strong on Christmas Eve to operate said splendid crane. By the time the wind died down there was not time to complete the work in order to reopen the railway on 27th December. I have mixed views on this. Sure, those who are booked to travel between Leeds and York on 27th December based on a direct 22 minute journey time on TPEx or XC services will not want late notice timetable amendments or cancellations. On the other hand huge amounts of money has been spent on hiring the splendid crane and transporting to site, securing labour at Xmas day pay rates, setting up road diversiosn etc. I do wonder if maybe they should go ahead an implement rail diversions for the 27th to complete the job.
One other consideration.
Is the crane and transport booked too be anywhere else in the next few day?
Penalty clauses in contracts may apply.