• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

Whisky Papa

This work has not gone ahead. The wind was too strong on Christmas Eve to operate said splendid crane. By the time the wind died down there was not time to complete the work in order to reopen the railway on 27th December. I have mixed views on this. Sure, those who are booked to travel between Leeds and York on 27th December based on a direct 22 minute journey time on TPEx or XC services will not want late notice timetable amendments or cancellations. On the other hand huge amounts of money has been spent on hiring the splendid crane and transporting to site, securing labour at Xmas day pay rates, setting up road diversiosn etc. I do wonder if maybe they should go ahead an implement rail diversions for the 27th to complete the job.
Would the crane actually be required for further use on the 27th or has it already finished its role? If the former, presumably the weather forecast for the 27th (with further wind gusts of over 40mph) would prevent its use anyway? It really has been a truly miserable week of weather in Yorkshire, Boxing Day apart.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bayum

Established Member
Would the crane actually be required for further use on the 27th or has it already finished its role? If the former, presumably the weather forecast for the 27th (with further wind gusts of over 40mph) would prevent its use anyway? It really has been a truly miserable week of weather in Yorkshire, Boxing Day apart.
Hasn’t even started its role by the sounds of things. The bridge needs an under bridge installing and potentially raising to allow the OHLE gantries to be installed.

43095john

Having travelled between Leeds and York today I can confirm piling has begun with several appearing between Micklefield Jn & Rose Lane LC at Church Fenton, none in the station area yet

Last edited:

Mr Mean

The lineside vegetation has been completely removed between the tracks and Dewsbury tip. There is also a Transpennine upgrade compound set up next door.

As the tip is right next to the tracks and is open to the public, this should give a good vantage point to see any work that commences for the new viaduct and junction.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The lineside vegetation has been completely removed between the tracks and Dewsbury tip. There is also a Transpennine upgrade compound set up next door.

As the tip is right next to the tracks and is open to the public, this should give a good vantage point to see any work that commences for the new viaduct and junction.
Officially it's open to Kirklees residents only and you have to register your vehicle, though I'm not sure how strictly this is enforced so it may be possible to go in with an unregistered vehicle- I've never tried. Think they use ANPR though.

Anyway thanks for the heads-up, I've a bit of post-Xmas rubbish to get rid of so I may take it along tomorrow morning and see if it's worth taking a few pics.

snowball

Established Member
What's the latest on when Colton to Church Fenton is going live?

What's the latest on when Clayton and Guide Bridge to Stalybridge are going live?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Officially it's open to Kirklees residents only and you have to register your vehicle, though I'm not sure how strictly this is enforced so it may be possible to go in with an unregistered vehicle- I've never tried. Think they use ANPR though.

Anyway thanks for the heads-up, I've a bit of post-Xmas rubbish to get rid of so I may take it along tomorrow morning and see if it's worth taking a few pics.
Postscript to this- I called at the tip this afternoon, had a look at the embankment but there wasn't really anything to see, so I didn't bother standing in the rain to take photos of nothing.

stibz

Postscript to this- I called at the tip this afternoon, had a look at the embankment but there wasn't really anything to see, so I didn't bother standing in the rain to take photos of nothing.
True nothing to see here, a firm moving underground pipes for the realign job, At some point they are to realign the track by what the guy calls "Dewsbury Tip",plus knocking 4 houses down. As a local I'm more inclined to think the town center is "The Tip". Mirfield is where things are happening lately, 3 day line closure and 650m of new track laying. plus the chopped a couple of metres off the platform 2, by the back to normal on Tuesday, there will have been nearly 10 engineers trains there.

snowball

Established Member
True nothing to see here, a firm moving underground pipes for the realign job, At some point they are to realign the track by what the guy calls "Dewsbury Tip",plus knocking 4 houses down.
Is that the row of houses in the way of the new fast lines south of Heaton Lodge Junction?

billh

Does the making live mean that the leccy for Piccadilly to Guide Bridge will be on a sort of "ring main" ie supplied from two sources, the great extension lead and whatever the original feed was ? Also , would more power be available up to Hadfield? (thinks 87 and a few coaches.....) :D

Bayum

Established Member
Currently trying to arrange a brunch for next Saturday in Sherburn… Most of the party would be coming through Barkston Ash under the Leeds - York bridge on the A162 that was meant to have works done over Christmas. Official reopening of the road was 29th December but the works did not take place as I understand it. Has the road successfully been reopened? Are there any plans for it to be closed again anytime soon? Thinking about school traffic when work starts up again next week.

Elecman

Established Member
Does the making live mean that the leccy for Piccadilly to Guide Bridge will be on a sort of "ring main" ie supplied from two sources, the great extension lead and whatever the original feed was ? Also , would more power be available up to Hadfield? (thinks 87 and a few coaches.....) :D
Not under normal feeding arrangements

Foggycorner

went from Man picc to Huddersfield via Stalybridge today and there is still a gap in Wires at guide bridge junction

jonesy3001

Established Member
went from Man picc to Huddersfield via Stalybridge today and there is still a gap in Wires at guide bridge junction
Been chatting to a guy called David Cox on twitter about the wires going live on the stalybridge lines and this is the reply I got off him.

All tested, test train runs week 44. Last commissioning for that section is week 49 completing guidebridge to Stalybridge.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240103_052641_X.jpg
    Screenshot_20240103_052641_X.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 130

absolutelymilk

Established Member
Been chatting to a guy called David Cox on twitter about the wires going live on the stalybridge lines and this is the reply I got off him.

All tested, test train runs week 44. Last commissioning for that section is week 49 completing guidebridge to Stalybridge.
Thanks! And for those of you wondering, week 44 starts on 27th January and week 49 starts on 2nd March

Geeves

Established Member
End of January testing with a 331 matches up to what my inside man was telling me. He was under the impression that 769s (once all the sundrie works had been completed) should be able to run on electric from Vic to Staly subject to the tests being successful, from May.

jonesy3001

Established Member
End of January testing with a 331 matches up to what my inside man was telling me. He was under the impression that 769s (once all the sundrie works had been completed) should be able to run on electric from Vic to Staly subject to the tests being successful, from May.
That's good, bet it'll be overnight testing before a press release like they did with the bolton line when the electrification works had finished.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Shame they can't introduce a Piccadilly to Stalybridge stopper that utilises the new link in wires, and of course stops at guide bridge and stalybridge.
The word "can't" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there... such a service absolutely could be introduced, and could speed up Glossop line services by taking over the stops between Piccadilly and Guide Bridge.

Whether it will be is another matter of course, and is probably outside the scope of this thread.