• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It's the horizontal distance that's the issue, not vertical.

It'd be interesting to see a cost comparison between moving the station to allow a neutral section, versus compulsory purchase and demolition of the houses.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Meerkat

Established Member
I think it is so that they can have a long neutral section past the houses which are too close... Moving the station further away makes it easier for a train to coast through after it has started off not many yards beforehand
That makes more sense - I assume the neutral section would only be on the down (geographically) line?

TBY-Paul

I'm not sure it would help. Might it bring the wires closer to the level of people's front doors? And might it worsen an already steep line gradient?
As I understand it, people’s front doors are currently 8-10 above the railhead, so any wiring would be at an unacceptable height from a safety point of view. With the station moving 300 meters, I was wondering if there was scope to lower the trackbed enough to put a cut and cover tunnel through the section and thus negate the need for a neutral section at all.
Also, By putting in short cut and cover tunnel, the residents currently overlooking the railway would benefit from having, possibly, a nice patch of grass or some other type of landscaping outside their front door that could be “promoted” as a community asset. Which would be good PR.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
That makes more sense - I assume the neutral section would only be on the down (geographically) line?
It's only on the westbound/Manchester-bound ('up' in railway terms on this route) where having a neutral section poses a problem due to the present proximity of the station. The down line is probably far enough from the houses that a neutral section isn't needed... though if it was needed it wouldn't present the same issues as stoppers would be slowing for Mossley station anyway.

Being pedantic, isn't it the back doors of the houses in question rather than the front? Or are the houses in question "back-to-back"?

Speed43125

I have often wondered what it was like for the residents in those houses during "the Age of Steam".
In some places, such as Princes Street Gardens in Edinburgh, there were agreements that engines would only burn coke when passing through particularly sensitive locations like this. These tended to end up being ignored however.

3RDGEN

TRU webpage, "https://thetrupgrade.co.uk/upcomingclosures/" is now detailing weekday closure of Leeds - Mirfield from 22nd April to 24th May for track renewals, route reopens at weekends. Newcastle & Saltburn services diverting via Wakefield Kirkgate, the Hull service terminates Leeds and buses for the local services. With Huddersfield shut most weekends going forward the amount of work is certainly ramping up now.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Just looking at an old note that says CP6 (the period in the title of this thread) runs from 2019-2024 and CP7 runs from 2024-2029. Whis is the month in 2024 when one finishes and the next one starts?
March is in CP6, April is in CP7.
I already private messaged the mods about 6 months ago with a couple of options. Close this thread and link it and then open a new thread or just rename it. That time is getting close of course.

snowball

Established Member
Press release

From Monday 19 to Friday 23 February, engineers on the Transpennine Route Upgrade (TRU) worked around the clock in Morley and Dewsbury to complete key upgrades, bringing passengers one step closer to faster, greener and more reliable trains between Manchester, Huddersfield, Leeds and York.

Over the five-day period, engineers upgraded drainage, completed cabling work and installed a new telecommunications mast.

The weekends of 17/18 and 24/25 of February also saw a range of upgrades, as teams in Huddersfield installed a new railway bridge and undertook mining mitigation work. This is a key part of the programme and will allow for the development of Huddersfield station in the future.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I'm assuming a second deck went on Red Doles Bridge yesterday as the footpath under the bridge over the canal was closed off yesterday much to the chagrin of a lot of football fans yesterday, leaving us with a long walk round to the stadium. There was a huge crane there and although I didn't close enough to see as we walked on Alder Street I'm guessing that was what was going on.
With regard to works at Red Doles, does anyone "at the coalface" know if pedestrian access will still be restricted this coming weekend? Understandably the TRU website deals with changes to train services rather than relatively local concerns, and getting any useful information out of Kirklees Council is like getting blood out of a stone. A question about this area has come up on a Huddersfield Town supporters forum, so if anyone has information I can relay it would be much appreciated.

childwallblues

Established Member
Passing through Huddersfield for the first time in six months yesterday I noted that the buildings on Platforms 4 to 8 including the toilets, waiting room and cafe are barriered out of use. How sad. The cafe was my favourite place for breakfast when travelling over to Wakefield.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Passing through Huddersfield for the first time in six months yesterday I noted that the buildings on Platforms 4 to 8 including the toilets, waiting room and cafe are barriered out of use. How sad. The cafe was my favourite place for breakfast when travelling over to Wakefield.
What alternative toilet facilities are available at that station?

Tim_UK

What alternative toilet facilities are available at that station?
There are very smart temporary toilet facilities at the Manchester end of platform 4. See the photo in post #7546.

Also I presume the toilets on platform 1 are still open?

The buffet has been shut for a year. The waiting room and toilets happened in the last few weeks.

I believe the plan is to knock it down carefully and relocate. It’s a listed building as part of the station.

CAF397

Several (perhaps a few dozen) concrete piles in situ where the supports for the Baker Viaduct will be constructed next to the line at Ravensthorpe.

wellhouse

Wonderful old posters exposed on the building. A few samples

Attachments

• PXL_20240301_081226733.jpg
    PXL_20240301_081226733.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 238
  • PXL_20240301_081248205.jpg
    PXL_20240301_081248205.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 254
  • PXL_20240301_081153509.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240301_081153509.MP.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 241

Traf73

With regard to works at Red Doles, does anyone "at the coalface" know if pedestrian access will still be restricted this coming weekend? Understandably the TRU website deals with changes to train services rather than relatively local concerns, and getting any useful information out of Kirklees Council is like getting blood out of a stone. A question about this area has come up on a Huddersfield Town supporters forum, so if anyone has information I can relay it would be much appreciated.

Yes, it should be open this weekend.

This photo caused a spot of amusement in the Huddersfield compound...

Attachments

• HTRU compound.JPG
    HTRU compound.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Wonderful old posters exposed on the building. A few samples
Great stuff... though the slogan on the second poster is somewhat tainted by its association with a certain Leodsian former disk jockey! The third poster proves that the "Pacer" name was a later coinage that didn't come along with the 141s.

AndyHudds

Great stuff... though the slogan on the second poster is somewhat tainted by its association with a certain Leodsian former disk jockey! The third poster proves that the "Pacer" name was a later coinage that didn't come along with the 141s.
It didn't register this morning as to why it had been taped over, first time I've seen them this morning.

snowball

Established Member
Another press release

The Transpennine Route Upgrade (TRU) is reminding passengers travelling along the railway line between Manchester, Huddersfield, Leeds, and York to check before they travel as they start upgrade work over multiple weekends throughout March and April.

Over these two months, engineers working on the multi-billion-pound project will upgrade tracks in Mirfield and Deighton, complete mining mitigation work around Huddersfield station and undertake work to Huddersfield viaduct.

This essential work will enable trains to achieve higher speeds and enhance the overall reliability of services passing through the area in the future, as the number of railway tracks increases from two to four.

While the railway line is temporarily closed to facilitate these upgrades, passengers will continue their journeys via diversionary routes and rail replacement buses.

Tim_UK

Yesterday (sunday), in Huddersfield they were piling/drilling under the Bradford Road arch of the viaduct. Also looks like the parapets/sidewall have been removed and rebuilt on each side the span.

This arch is part stonework and part Iron span. I’m guessing they are prepping to eventually replace the Iron Deck.

There is a road closure of Bradford Road from 2245 today until 28 March. So let’s see what happens. (It does seem to be local custom to always book weeks of road closure,
even when you only need a day or 2)

Ploughman

Established Member
Yesterday (sunday), in Huddersfield they were piling/drilling under the Bradford Road arch of the viaduct. Also looks like the parapets/sidewall have been removed and rebuilt on each side the span.

This arch is part stonework and part Iron span. I’m guessing they are prepping to eventually replace the Iron Deck.

There is a road closure of Bradford Road from 2245 today until 28 March. So let’s see what happens. (It does seem to be local custom to always book weeks of road closure,
even when you only need a day or 2)
How long will it take to prepare the site for the actual work?
Thinking of service diversions, locating existing anchor points. any crane pads to be provided.

Then there will be the time taken to do the actual work.

Finally the reinstatement and restoration of the site.

For an example of how long take a look at how long it took to replace the A645 bridge in Bath / Bradford on Avon recently. Thread somewhere on here.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
I already private messaged the mods about 6 months ago with a couple of options. Close this thread and link it and then open a new thread or just rename it. That time is getting close of course.
At the snail pace this job is going you will need a CP8 thread as well but got five years to set that one up!!