• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

Tim_UK

Sorry if this has been asked before but what do the works at Huddersfield consist of in this current blockade?

Not sure what is happening in the station. New barriers around platform 8.

Removing an iron span over Bradford Road. There is one each side and I’m not sure if they are doing one side or both sides.

I‘m also not sure if the new deck is being put in this weekend or not. I think it will have to because the running lines will be really close to the edge otherwise.

Best place to watch is Aldi carpark. IMG_0590.jpeg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorksLad12

Established Member
This BBC News story has some detail. It also has an interesting train interior, which I can't quite place... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cj56v634zqno

(Edit as requested by Mods.)

Passengers are being advised to check their journeys before they travel, with route diversions and bus replacement services among the changes.
The upgrades will include work to restore Huddersfield Station's Grade I-listed roof, track improvements around Deighton and Mirfield and the building of a new bridge deck on Huddersfield viaduct.

Last edited:

1D53

Established Member
As well as bridge work there is Track renewals, station canopy works at Huddersfield as well as lots of little bits like boreholes, filling mine workings etc.

Tim_UK

More Huddersfield pictures from yesterday.

I’m travelling with almost no connectivity so somebody is welcome to resize those and post up here.

When they lifted the bridge, a big chunk of the top of the wall came loose. Left hand side as you look from Bradford Road. This was removed by digger.

By 8 pm Saturday they had built scaffolding around the exposed edges. You can see in my last picture. Quick pictures while I got fuel.

ill be back through Huddersfield on Tuesday.

superkev

Established Member
In addition to the excellent 2 YouTube videos mentioned above one has appeared of the Bank Hol Huddersfield viaduct works. Work on the viaduct looks well advanced with the metal bridge part laying cut up on the road. Much work happening on the station including a large pile or test drilling machine.
K

Last edited:

snowball

Established Member
After watching that video, I was presented with this one, "Huge earthworks to transform Deighton Station for TRU".

Revaulx

The Deighton earthworks are indeed massive and I was wondering why, since the line was four-track until the mid-60s.

From looking at an old OS map it appears that the original Deighton station was not on the main line, but at the start of the Kirkburton branch which diverged there. That explains why there is insufficient room for platforms as well as four tracks.

snowball

Established Member
The Deighton earthworks are indeed massive and I was wondering why, since the line was four-track until the mid-60s.

From looking at an old OS map it appears that the original Deighton station was not on the main line, but at the start of the Kirkburton branch which diverged there. That explains why there is insufficient room for platforms as well as four tracks.
The plans show a large construction compound covering the start of the former branch, the land in the angle between it and the main line, and some land on the far side of the branch. Could the earthworks be for that?

matacaster

On Moderation
The bridge at Bradford road huddersfield being worked on comprises a substantial central stone built section which presumably carries the existing double track and metal bridges either side which I believe used to carry the other two tracks.

Is the plan to
1-remove one metal bridge (already happened), then replaced it during this possession?
2-remove both metal bridges (one already done) and replaced both this possession
3-remove both metal bridges this possession and replace them at another possession, using the stone bridge two tracks in the meantime?

Heard from an orange man who lived in nearby almondbury that they found some unexpected cables when they removed first metal bridge span.

Revaulx

The plans show a large construction compound covering the start of the former branch, the land in the angle between it and the main line, and some land on the far side of the branch. Could the earthworks be for that?
The greater part of the earthworks are on the other side from the Kirkburton branch; i.e. on the left if going from Hudds towards Leeds. They seem to be widening the cutting to accommodate four platforms in addition to four tracks.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The greater part of the earthworks are on the other side from the Kirkburton branch; i.e. on the left if going from Hudds towards Leeds. They seem to be widening the cutting to accommodate four platforms in addition to four tracks.
Thought the plan was platforms on the slow lines only? Has this changed? Would be odd for Deighton to get fast line platforms when Mirfield won't.

Revaulx

Thought the plan was platforms on the slow lines only? Has this changed? Would be odd for Deighton to get fast line platforms when Mirfield won't.
No you’re quite right.

Which makes the scale of the earthworks even more remarkable. If only they’d reopened the original Bradley station back in the 80s rather than going for a new site they’d have saved a lot of trouble and expense. Though I suppose Deighton is better located.

snowball

Established Member
Sorry, I'm not great on railway history and had never heard of Kirkburton. So when I saw, on current OS mapping, the route of a former railway turning off to the left a short distance before Deighton station (as you go from Hudds towards Leeds), I assumed (wrongly) that this was the Kirkburton branch you referred to in #7753.

So to clarify: the construction depot I referred to in #7754, shown in the scheme plans, is to the left of the main line, and is where this other branch turns off to the left.

I have not checked whether this corresponds well with the earthworks in the video.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
No you’re quite right.

Which makes the scale of the earthworks even more remarkable. If only they’d reopened the original Bradley station back in the 80s rather than going for a new site they’d have saved a lot of trouble and expense. Though I suppose Deighton is better located.
In the planning stages there was an option to re-site Deighton station, I believe to the Bradley junction area. However this option was rejected in favour of retaining the current site.

Revaulx

In the planning stages there was an option to re-site Deighton station, I believe to the Bradley junction area. However this option was rejected in favour of retaining the current site.
Fair enough! I suppose it’s quite refreshing to see passenger convenience prioritised for once :D

Sorry, I'm not great on railway history and had never heard of Kirkburton. So when I saw, on current OS mapping, the route of a former railway turning off to the left a short distance before Deighton station (as you go from Hudds towards Leeds), I assumed (wrongly) that this was the Kirkburton branch you referred to in #7753.

So to clarify: the construction depot I referred to in #7754, shown in the scheme plans, is to the left of the main line, and is where this other branch turns off to the left.

I have not checked whether this corresponds well with the earthworks in the video.
Ah I understand; the line you mean is part of the Midland Railway’s freight route into Huddersfield.

The big construction compound on that side of the line closer towards Huddersfield is on the site of Hillhouse engine shed.

snowball

Established Member
The big construction compound on that side of the line closer towards Huddersfield is on the site of Hillhouse engine shed.
I don't mean Hillhouse construction compound, which is in the fourth and fifth diagrams in the following file, but the smaller "Deighton construction compound", which is in the bottom left of the seventh diagram (labelled "sheet 7 of 22" at the extreme bottom right).

Deighton construction compound is also labelled "Earthworks - E3 - widening of existing cutting".

This is the former layout

Attachments

• kirkburton junction.png
    kirkburton junction.png
    945.4 KB · Views: 131

snowball

Established Member
This is the former layout
The map extract in #7762 does not show the former line I was referring to, which I therefore assume was built later. I estimate that it passes roughly through the F of "Glen Field" and the second k of "Kirkburton Junc". It can be seen in sheet 7 of 22 in the set of maps I linked in #7761, and on current OS 1:50000 and 1:25000 mapping, e.g. at www.streemap.co.uk . Revaulx in #7760 has explained what line it was. I now see that, going going towards Huddersfield, it did not soon merge with the present line as I had assumed, but apparently ran alongside for some distance.

The set of maps I linked in #7761 also perhaps provides an answer to the question in #7725 about the vastness of the earthworks around Ravensthorpe. Sheets 19 and 20 of 22 show large construction compounds at Ravensthorpe.

Last edited:

Nottingham59

Established Member

Revaulx

@snowball yes the Deighton compound appears to be in the middle of the vast earthworks!

The video shows something it’s hard to tell from maps and plans, or even Google Earth: how hilly the terrain is round there. I had never realised how much higher up the ex-Midland line was.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
The scale of the earthworks is also likely due to the earthworks recieving enough work that they need to be designed properly. Relevant to the other threads on landslides where we are now facing consequences of a lack of understanding of earthworks during the railway building era.

AndyHudds

@snowball yes the Deighton compound appears to be in the middle of the vast earthworks!

The video shows something it’s hard to tell from maps and plans, or even Google Earth: how hilly the terrain is round there. I had never realised how much higher up the ex-Midland line was.
There was a huge cutting, I mean a very deep, steep sided cutting there where the current earthworks are being undertaken, it was filled in during the 90's to make the cycle track, the cutting extended along under Whitacre Street and on to where it passed under Deighton Road, although not as deep at that point. The Midland line did slope down and by the time it reached Fieldhouse Bridge it was practically level running parallel.

matacaster

On Moderation
Mirfield today. Main platform 2 has been reduced in width and new slow line track installed next to it. I assume that they will continue to use platforms 1 & 3 (wooden one) until such time as original main platform 2 is usable. Then remove platform 3 and add two new fast lines???

Attachments

• PXL_20240402_144641616.jpg
    PXL_20240402_144641616.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 232
  • PXL_20240402_144657830.jpg
    PXL_20240402_144657830.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 232

Tim_UK

The bridge at Bradford road huddersfield being worked on comprises a substantial central stone built section which presumably carries the existing double track and metal bridges either side which I believe used to carry the other two tracks.

Is the plan to
1-remove one metal bridge (already happened), then replaced it during this possession?
2-remove both metal bridges (one already done) and replaced both this possession
3-remove both metal bridges this possession and replace them at another possession, using the stone bridge two tracks in the meantime?

Correct that the centre stone span is the current running lines. It’s easy to see on Google earth.

I’m not sure on the plan. But it isn't 1 or 2. The North side span is already removed.

There are no further scheduled road closures, so I think it's a while before a new span or before the south side gets removed.

I think there will be significant masonry work to do to make the landing spots for any new bridge. I presume they can do this with just 1 lane shut under the bridge.

A lot more fencing has gone up around the removed bit, as you can see in the picture I got sent from this morning. Looks like it is staying as is for a while.

Attachments

• bridge_2024_04_03.jpeg
    bridge_2024_04_03.jpeg
    334 KB · Views: 130