• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TransPennine South route ‘forgotten about’?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Killingworth

Established Member
Not exactly true. For some reason that is still showing the normal Sunday timetable, which has, quite rightly, been cancelled. All of the scheduled diverted trains thus far have run, and have run as 6 cars.
Try again; https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...-2359?stp=WVS&show=pax-calls&order=wtt&toc=TP

Somewhat short of the normal timetabled hourly Sunday service, but good that those actually planned have run and as 6 car; https://timetables.tpexpress.co.uk/#/timetables/1803/South

What disgusts me most with TPE is advance fares have risen sharply. No longer can you get a £5 single from Sheffield to Manchester on a booking for the next day. Its now around £12 to £14.

Killingworth

Established Member
What disgusts me most with TPE is advance fares have risen sharply. No longer can you get a £5 single from Sheffield to Manchester on a booking for the next day. Its now around £12 to £14.
I can't recall seeing TPE fares as low as £5 Advance (without Railcard) for any time, let alone next day. If it happened I'd think it rare. Northern were certainly quoting an Advance single for about £5.70 very recently. Best Advance now will be Northern at £7.00.They were creaming off a lot of through travellers who couldn't get seats, and probably still will for a little more revenue!

LowLevel

Established Member
Day tickets of course on EMR are good value within the Chesterfield/Nottingham/Groupsave to Manchester window but I noticed the other day quite a few sub tenner Chesterfield - Manchester with railcard tickets booked both solo and with split save.

Llandudno

Established Member
Academic really, who in their right mind would buy advance tickets on TransPennine Express, little or no chance of the booked train actually running….

sjm77

Today, TPEx seem to be operating Cleethorpes to Manchester Piccadilly, and a seperate service from Manchester Oxford Road to Liverpool Lime Street. The line through central Manchester is however open. For passengers it is a nightmare becuase the two sections are operating to their normal time slots. For example, a journey from Liverpool to Sheffield would invole leaving Lime Street at 12:14 and then being abandoned at Oxford Road at 13:07. The nest departure from Piccadilly to Sheffield leaves at 13:14 but this would be impossible to catch. EMR do not appear to be operating either. If you want to travel from Liverpool to Sheffield then totally forget our stupid train system and just drive. You might like it and then you will never need the stupid train again. Brilliant.

Iskra

Established Member
Today, TPEx seem to be operating Cleethorpes to Manchester Piccadilly, and a seperate service from Manchester Oxford Road to Liverpool Lime Street. The line through central Manchester is however open. For passengers it is a nightmare becuase the two sections are operating to their normal time slots. For example, a journey from Liverpool to Sheffield would invole leaving Lime Street at 12:14 and then being abandoned at Oxford Road at 13:07. The nest departure from Piccadilly to Sheffield leaves at 13:14 but this would be impossible to catch. EMR do not appear to be operating either. If you want to travel from Liverpool to Sheffield then totally forget our stupid train system and just drive. You might like it and then you will never need the stupid train again. Brilliant.
Sounds great, but have you tried it? I did it one evening to attend a gig in Liverpool and it took me over 3 hours. Getting through Glossop is a nightmare daily and they also close the trans-pennine roads a lot.

RailWonderer

Established Member
Academic really, who in their right mind would buy advance tickets on TransPennine Express, little or no chance of the booked train actually running….
I bought TPE advances to do York Leeds a few times an hour before the service ran. They are good for on the day, at the station purchase.

childwallblues

Established Member
Sounds great, but have you tried it? I did it one evening to attend a gig in Liverpool and it took me over 3 hours. Getting through Glossop is a nightmare daily and they also close the trans-pennine roads a lot.
Having lived in Liverpool for most of my life and worked in Sheffield for four years in the seventies driving to and from Sheffield and back was a pain on a Monday to Friday. And if Snake was closed I found it quicker to use the M62 and through Huddersfield than the slow moving lorries on Woodhead.

sjm77

Living in Manchester I have experience of driving to Sheffield and Liverpool, but never directly between the two. All I can say is this second with current traffic Google Maps gives a city centre to city centre jourmey time of 2h16m. National rail enquiries gives a journey time of 3h05m with a change at Piccadilly. Both legs on Northern stoppers.
If TPEx connected their Liverpool - Oxford Road and Piccadilly to Cleethorpes services you would have a through train in under two hours which would be a no-brainer.

Anyway, does anyone know the actual reason why TPEx have made this decision to drive people away from the railway? Is it becuase their Liverpool drivers do not sign the diversionary route via Marple?

Killingworth

Established Member

Engineering work this weekend between Hazel Grove and Stockport. TPE diverted via Romiley, EMR bussing from Sheffield to Stockport, Northern trains reportedly very busy, possibly overwhelmed?

Greybeard33

Established Member
Anyway, does anyone know the actual reason why TPEx have made this decision to drive people away from the railway? Is it becuase their Liverpool drivers do not sign the diversionary route via Marple?
It is because the Stockport - Hazel Grove line is closed for engineering works, so the TPEs are diverted via Marple. To get between the Ashburys line and Piccadilly Platform 13/14 they would have to snake right across Piccadilly throat. Network Rail will not permit this because it would be highly disruptive to other traffic in and out of the station. Therefore the Cleethorpes trains are reversing in Piccadilly Platform 1.

The Liverpool - Manchester trains are reversing in Oxford Road Platform 3 because it would be too disruptive to use Piccadilly P13/14.

EMR's Liverpool services are cancelled west of Sheffield, with replacement buses between Sheffield and Stockport.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It is because the Stockport - Hazel Grove line is closed for engineering works, so the TPEs are diverted via Marple. To get between the Ashburys line and Piccadilly Platform 13/14 they would have to snake right across Piccadilly throat. Network Rail will not permit this because it would be highly disruptive to other traffic in and out of the station. Therefore the Cleethorpes trains are reversing in Piccadilly Platform 1.

The Liverpool - Manchester trains are reversing in Oxford Road Platform 3 because it would be too disruptive to use Piccadilly P13/14.

EMR's Liverpool services are cancelled west of Sheffield, with replacement buses between Sheffield and Stockport.
It's not a matter of Network Rail not permitting it (it's not really up to them to make that decision) - there just aren't the paths to do it.

CE142

Driving to Sheffield from the West side of the Pennines is a nightmare, if only the M67 went all the way across!

M60lad

Not to sure why EMR aren't running through to Liverpool as they have done before and they've got route knowledge for the Romiley diversion anyway from what I saw yesterday they are running their usual 2 car service from Nottingham-Norwich then attaching another train to run the Nottingham-Sheffield section then each service is getting about an hour drop back in Sheffield.

Killingworth

Established Member
Not to sure why EMR aren't running through to Liverpool as they have done before and they've got route knowledge for the Romiley diversion anyway from what I saw yesterday they are running their usual 2 car service from Nottingham-Norwich then attaching another train to run the Nottingham-Sheffield section then each service is getting about an hour drop back in Sheffield.

Today, Sunday, there are two blockades. Hope Valley is closed at Dore to Chinley as well as Hazel Grove to Stockport. Yesterday it seems that use of the capacity through Marple by normal stopping services precluded diversion of the EMR and TPE trains.

Sheffield - Piccadilly, New Mills Central - Puccadilly and Rose Hill - Piccadilly routes all use the section through Romiley before adding in the fasts.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Yesterday it seems that use of the capacity through Marple by normal stopping services precluded diversion of the EMR and TPE trains.
There is plenty of spare capacity through Marple - it's not as if it's one AB section from Marple to Ashburys for instance! The issue is likely to have been with the availability of paths across the Piccadilly throat, and in default thereof, the availability of platforms for EMR to turn back.

If neither was available, it's understandable that EMR wouldn't be able to run into Manchester at all. It's unfortunate that the nature of their crewing and stabling (from the Derby/Nottingham end only) means they can't run anything at the Liverpool end.

Atishyou

Living in Manchester I have experience of driving to Sheffield and Liverpool, but never directly between the two. All I can say is this second with current traffic Google Maps gives a city centre to city centre jourmey time of 2h16m. National rail enquiries gives a journey time of 3h05m with a change at Piccadilly. Both legs on Northern stoppers.
If TPEx connected their Liverpool - Oxford Road and Piccadilly to Cleethorpes services you would have a through train in under two hours which would be a no-brainer.

Liverpool drivers don't sign to Sheffield. Some Manchester drivers sign to Sheffield, but don't sign the diversion via Romiley (keeping route knowledge would be an issue). Manchester drivers don't sign Wakefield to Sheffield. Only sheffield drivers sign via Romiley and the full route Sheffield to Manchester via Huddersfield to my knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.