• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine woes and a moan...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Perhaps you would like to justify your opinion?

I invite to you to say how you would respond to the following scenarios that were discussed earlier.

1. A 6 car Class 185 arrives at Liverpool Lime Street. The next working into Liverpool is cancelled. Do you split the Class 185 or insist that it remains a six car and cancel one of the two services?
If an inbound service is cancelled then where are the crew going to materialise from to operate two outbound services?

Your argument is similar to the never ending LHCS is far superior to units because you can add additional carriages at busy times. Great in theory but in practice it doesn't happen.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lewisham2221

Established Member
1. A 6 car Class 185 arrives at Liverpool Lime Street. The next working into Liverpool is cancelled. Do you split the Class 185 or insist that it remains a six car and cancel one of the two services?
Surely either of those options is massively preferable to the current situation where one of the trains would be cancelled and the other would be a 3 car service anyway?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If an inbound service is cancelled then where are the crew going to materialise from to operate two outbound services?
The inbound service may be cancelled because the driver taking it from Hull is unavailable. That doesn't stop the Manchester, Liverpool or York driver who's taking over at Leeds or Manchester from getting a taxi or alternative pass ride to get to Liverpool to work the (otherwise cancelled) outbound service. It may also be a crew that are only just booking on, or have come in on a CLC service. It all depends on the train in question.

sjpowermac

Established Member

Your argument is similar to the never ending LHCS is far superior to units because you can add additional carriages at busy times. Great in theory but in practice it doesn't happen.
It’s not similar at all and why bring LHCS into the argument, where have I mentioned that?

Regarding crewing of the train, there could be any number of scenarios. Spare train crew, crew available from the cancellation of another service being two examples.

As mentioned previously, I don’t work for TPE but here is an example, that I’ve already mentioned previously, where a 6 car set was split and this directly avoided the cancellation of a service.

Hope that helps.

185 137 paired with 185 107
1K06 0601 HUL-LIV

185 137 split from 185 107 at LIV

*1K08 0653 HUL-LIV (0933) CANCELLED*

185 137
1K13 0854 LIV-HUL

185 107
1K15 0954 LIV-HUL

Geeves

Established Member
In regards to splitting while its fine on paper when ever I am looking on TRUST for missing traincrew there are sometimes its 4,5 or even 6 traincrew members on a single service on its long winding route from coast to coast and they use their own trains to travel passenger to other locations so splitting would likely not help much

Another issue that affects the NW end is the guards depot at the airport and their services being cancelled. To get into Manchester requires a taxi now. Hello more delays

sjpowermac

Established Member
Surely either of those options is massively preferable to the current situation where one of the trains would be cancelled and the other would be a 3 car service anyway?
I think you’ve missed the point there. Yes, having as many six car trains as possible is hugely preferable. The discussion is about what to do IF you have a six car train and not splitting it would lead to a cancellation.

I’ve already shown, with a real world example, how once a 6 car is split into two threes it can take some time before it’s possible to reform to a 6 car.

Hope that helps.

In regards to splitting while its fine on paper when ever I am looking on TRUST for missing traincrew there are sometimes its 4,5 or even 6 traincrew members on a single service on its long winding route from coast to coast and they use their own trains to travel passenger to other locations so splitting would likely not help much

Another issue that affects the NW end is the guards depot at the airport and their services being cancelled. To get into Manchester requires a taxi now. Hello more delays
So in the example that I gave, you would have preferred to cancel either the 0854 Liverpool to Hull or the 0954 Liverpool to Hull? I’m not really clear as to what you are arguing for.

To be honest, I’m largely indifferent, I’m fortunate in that I can walk to work, I only use the train for leisure and long since gave up trusting the train for longer distance journeys.

The whole debate about splitting of Class 185s came about when a poster claimed that TPE should follow the example of Tyne and Wear Metro, whereby the Class 185s would be operated in semi-permanent pairs.

Are you really suggesting that’s a good idea in the current situation and when the Leeds-Huddersfield service currently uses platforms at Leeds and Huddersfield that, as I understand it, wouldn’t accommodate six cars?

Last edited:

Geeves

Established Member
I would agree about splitting but the way that the traincrew diagrams work and the way so much is currently not able to covered you'd likely end up with two trains stuck somewhere instead of just one if it had remained a 6 car

Bertie the bus

Established Member
It’s not similar at all and why bring LHCS into the argument, where have I mentioned that?

Regarding crewing of the train, there could be any number of scenarios. Spare train crew, crew available from the cancellation of another service being two examples.

As mentioned previously, I don’t work for TPE but here is an example, that I’ve already mentioned previously, where a 6 car set was split and this directly avoided the cancellation of a service.

Hope that helps.

185 137 paired with 185 107
1K06 0601 HUL-LIV

185 137 split from 185 107 at LIV

*1K08 0653 HUL-LIV (0933) CANCELLED*

185 137
1K13 0854 LIV-HUL

185 107
1K15 0954 LIV-HUL
Two observations:

1. I now understand why you spefically mention Lime St - because you've found 1 train that fits you argument except:
2. The inbound train wasn't cancelled. It was a planned cancellation (P-coded) the previous night so it never actually existed. The split was obviously pre-planned and no different to TOCs bringing a few units off the depot coupled together which are then split and form multiple services.

Last edited:

Lewisham2221

Established Member
I think you’ve missed the point there. Yes, having as many six car trains as possible is hugely preferable. The discussion is about what to do IF you have a six car train and not splitting it would lead to a cancellation.
No, that wasn't the discussion here at all. The discussion was about how ridiculous it is that TPE aren't running as many 6 car units as possible in the first place. It was you that kept banging on about one example of how a 6 car was split to prevent another service being cancelled. There have been many, many mentions on here of situations where one or even multiple services have been cancelled and the next service has been a (very busy) 3 car. That is what the discussion was about

sjpowermac

Established Member
Two observations:

1. I now understand why you spefically mention Lime St - because you've found 1 train that fits you argument except:
2. The inbound train wasn't cancelled. It was a planned cancellation (P-coded) the previous night so it never actually existed. The split was obviously pre-planned.
Pre-planned or not, how does that alter the situation? Leave the 6 car train as one and you would have had to cancel either the 0854 to Hull or the 0954 to Hull. I’m afraid you will have to explain your logic there, since I honestly have no idea what you are arguing about.

I quoted that specific example because earlier today a poster complained about their service being a 3 car train.
No, that wasn't the discussion here at all. The discussion was about how ridiculous it is that TPE aren't running as many 6 car units as possible in the first place. It was you that kept banging on about one example of how a 6 car was split to prevent another service being cancelled. There have been many, many mentions on here of situations where one or even multiple services have been cancelled and the next service has been a (very busy) 3 car. That is what the discussion was about

There are numerous examples of where six car sets have been split on a daily basis; the Scarborough line being a further example.

If you read what I’ve written, you will see that at no point have I said that it’s better to have fewer six car trains. I’ve merely shown how such a situation can occur, the consequences of not splitting a train and how it can take quite some time to then pair a 3 car back up to 6 cars.

Do feel free though to continue missing the point.

CE142

If TPE have vacancies for Unit Controllers then they should just look on this thread, apparently it's dead easy.:D
:D

sjpowermac

Established Member
If TPE have vacancies for Unit Controllers then they should just look on this thread, apparently it's dead easy.:D
:D
Indeed. Though having read some of the comments, it makes you wonder why TPE would need Unit Controllers, everything always runs like clockwork ;)

I would agree about splitting but the way that the traincrew diagrams work and the way so much is currently not able to covered you'd likely end up with two trains stuck somewhere instead of just one if it had remained a 6 car
I’m largely indifferent one way or the other. I was responding to someone who suggested running Class 185s in semi-permanent pairs and gave the Tyne and Wear Metro units as an example to follow.

I gave an example that I’d seen as to why Class 185s run as 3 cars and can end up doing so for several days.

Given your oversight of train crew, do you have a similar oversight of traction and maintenance? If so, perhaps you would be better placed to give the forum the reasons for the high number of 3 car Class 185s currently running?

Last edited:

Killingworth

Established Member
Whilst I agree the service has seen a lot of cancellations this afternoon, I don’t think your post is accurate.

The following have/are currently scheduled to run between the times that you mentioned.

1811 ex-Sheffield (1B87 1624 Cleethorpes-Liverpool Lime Street)
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C84946/2022-12-28/detailed

1911 ex-Sheffield (1B89 1724 Cleethorpes-Liverpool Lime Street)
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C84948/2022-12-28/detailed

2011 ex-Sheffield (1B91 1824 Cleethorpes-Liverpool Lime Street)
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C84950/2022-12-28/detailed

My apologies. My RTT search for westbound trains beteeen 12.00 and 21.00 seemed to have missed them; https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...2-28/1200-2100?stp=WVSC&show=all&order=actual

td97

Established Member
Northern's 2 and 3 car 195s must have been crush loaded taking all the load between TPEs 13.09 and EMRs 20.29 - but Northern also cancelled their 15.14 and 18.14!
My apologies. My RTT search for westbound trains beteeen 12.00 and 21.00 seemed to have missed them; https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...2-28/1200-2100?stp=WVSC&show=all&order=actual
Piccadilly platforms 13 & 14 are closed for platform improvement works this week (and weekends in January), so services are running through non-stop. EMR/TPE through services are calling at Manchester Oxford Road with slightly extended dwells.
Presumably EMR/TPE customers specifically requiring Piccadilly would change at Stockport onto a service terminating in the main shed.

sjpowermac

Established Member
Absolutely no need to apologise, I saw exactly the same thing and thought it odd when I could see the services listed as departing from Cleethorpes.

Piccadilly platforms 13 & 14 are closed for platform improvement works this week (and weekends in January), so services are running through non-stop. EMR/TPE through services are calling at Manchester Oxford Road with slightly extended dwells.
Presumably EMR/TPE customers specifically requiring Piccadilly would change at Stockport onto a service terminating in the main shed.
Many thanks for that, as per my reply to @Killingworth I thought it was odd, but hadn’t spotted the trains were not stopping at Piccadilly!

YorksLad12

Established Member
I think there was a points failure between Leeds and York around 11:00, so down to Network Rail rather than TPE.
This explained why I saw a TPE cl802 in P6 at Leeds; it had come from Liverpool and could go no further.

What confused me then was that RTT said that it would form the (York-)Leeds to Manchester Airport service. I thought 802s couldn't reach the Airport yet? If they can... why not all of the time, instead of the 185s? More seats, more luggage space too on a 5-car 802 than a 3-car 185...

What confused me then was that RTT said that it would form the (York-)Leeds to Manchester Airport service. I thought 802s couldn't reach the Airport yet? If they can... why not all of the time, instead of the 185s? More seats, more luggage space too on a 5-car 802 than a 3-car 185...
I believe it would require a complete re-cast for 802s to work the Airport service, as it currently goes through to Saltburn north of York, but the 802s are required on the two Newcastle services (Liverpool/Man Picc) due to timings north of York

To get 802s on the Airport, you’d need to swap the Saltburn and one of the Newcastle (probably preferably the Man Picc one) paths over to create an Airport - Newcastle and a Piccadilly - Saltburn, which given they are currently 15(?) minutes out, isn’t really viable

sjpowermac

Established Member
This explained why I saw a TPE cl802 in P6 at Leeds; it had come from Liverpool and could go no further.

The Class 802 units are definitely cleared for Manchester Airport. Pre-pandemic they worked the Manchester Airport to Newcastle services (December 2019 to March 2020). Since then they have worked to the Airport on the services that run along the WCML.

As mentioned, I don’t work for TPE so can only give a guess to answer your question. The original intention was for the Class 802 sets to work Manchester Airport to Newcastle services, together with Liverpool to Newcastle/Edinburgh trains. Post-pandemic that has been altered to Newcastle to Manchester Piccadilly running alternate hours, Liverpool to Newcastle plus local trains between Newcastle and Edinburgh (which I think is to get the Class 802 sets to Craigentinny for maintenance).

I’d assume turning back the Newcastle service at Piccadilly rather than the Airport is due to either crew diagrams or platform space at the Airport (though I’m happy to be corrected on either of those).

Hope that helps:)

YorksLad12

Established Member
I believe it would require a complete re-cast for 802s to work the Airport service, as it currently goes through to Saltburn north of York, but the 802s are required on the two Newcastle services (Liverpool/Man Picc) due to timings north of York

To get 802s on the Airport, you’d need to swap the Saltburn and one of the Newcastle (probably preferably the Man Picc one) paths over to create an Airport - Newcastle and a Piccadilly - Saltburn, which given they are currently 15(?) minutes out, isn’t really viable

The Class 802 units are definitely cleared for Manchester Airport. Pre-pandemic they worked the Manchester Airport to Newcastle services (December 2019 to March 2020). Since then they have worked to the Airport on the services that run along the WCML.
Thanks both. Clearly I was asleep pre-pandemic, I still thought it was 185s-only to the Airport via Ordsall!

Geeves

Established Member
Indeed. Though having read some of the comments, it makes you wonder why TPE would need Unit Controllers, everything always runs like clockwork ;)

I’m largely indifferent one way or the other. I was responding to someone who suggested running Class 185s in semi-permanent pairs and gave the Tyne and Wear Metro units as an example to follow.

I gave an example that I’d seen as to why Class 185s run as 3 cars and can end up doing so for several days.

Given your oversight of train crew, do you have a similar oversight of traction and maintenance? If so, perhaps you would be better placed to give the forum the reasons for the high number of 3 car Class 185s currently running?

SJ, sorry I dont work for TPE either just in my job for another TOC have dealings with traincrew, as far as units go its as mysterious to us as to anyone outside. TPE is a mystery.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
802s are definitely cleared for the Airport as I saw a Manchester Airport to York worked by such a specimen earlier today.

sjpowermac

Established Member
SJ, sorry I dont work for TPE either just in my job for another TOC have dealings with traincrew, as far as units go its as mysterious to us as to anyone outside. TPE is a mystery.
Many thanks for the reply, appreciated.

My curiosity piqued, I’ll try and have a look at where all the 185s are once the pway blockades and strikes are over:)

YorksLad12

Established Member
Without wishing to add grist to anyone's mill: 1P77 from Manchester Airport to York terminated short at Leeds ("... due to an issue with the train crew (TG)"). It's been sat sitting on P0 at Leeds since 1513 and is two 185s coupled together. No indication on RTT as to when it might depart for pastures new either.

Edit: looks like it's going to be 9M15 to Liverpool, leaving at 1630 (if RTT has the unit numbers correct), although that is showing as departing from P16... now.

Last edited:

class 9

Without wishing to add grist to anyone's mill: 1P77 from Manchester Airport to York terminated short at Leeds ("... due to an issue with the train crew (TG)"). It's been sat sitting on P0 at Leeds since 1513 and is two 185s coupled together. No indication on RTT as to when it might depart for pastures new either.

Edit: looks like it's going to be 9M15 to Liverpool, leaving at 1630 (if RTT has the unit numbers correct), although that is showing as departing from P16... now.
1630 to Lime Street.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Most stations on the Huddersfield to Leeds line see Northern trains anyway so TPE can get away with booked 3-car workings there. Everything else should be booked 5 or 6 with the possible exception of the final train of the day Sunday to Thursday.
The issue is platforming at Huddersfield- the only platform that can turn a 6-car set in either direction is P4, and this can only hold one 6-car at a time. If there's a Manchester turning back in P4, the incoming Leeds has to unload on P1 and run empty to Marsden to turn back. For the Manchester it would have to turn back at Bradley Junction.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

802s are cleared for the Airport and indeed they find themselves there on a daily basis (provided there's the crew!), with one diagram on Edinburgh-Manchester Airport services.

They also occasionally find themselves booked to visit the Airport on Manchester Airport-Liverpool/Leeds/York services during engineering works. When running to Leeds/York, they usually interwork between the Liverpool and Manchester Airport routes, as the turnround would otherwise be too long.

Pre-Covid, the Manchester Airport-Newcastle service was booked to be operated solely with 802s. The current 2-hourly Manchester Piccadilly-Newcastle service is essentially its successor, hence why it's also 802 operated.

Greybeard33

Established Member
Pre-Covid, the Manchester Airport-Newcastle service was booked to be operated solely with 802s. The current 2-hourly Manchester Piccadilly-Newcastle service is essentially its successor, hence why it's also 802 operated.
In (IIRC) the December 2019 timetable change, the Newcastle - Manchester Airport service was cut back to terminate at Victoria, as a "quick win" measure introduced by the Manchester Task Force to reduce Castlefield corridor congestion. Of course, this only lasted until the subsequent Covid service cuts.
The Manchester Task Force recommended in 2020 that the Newcastle - Manchester Airport service should be cut back to terminate at Victoria, if reintroduced post-Covid. This was one of the "quick wins" to reduce Castlefield corridor congestion.

Even if Leeds - Victoria eventually goes back to 4tph, the MTF Castlefield timetable does not have a path for a second TPE Ordsall Chord service.

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
In (IIRC) the December 2019 timetable change, the Newcastle - Manchester Airport service was cut back to terminate at Victoria, as a "quick win" measure introduced by the Manchester Task Force to reduce Castlefield corridor congestion.
It wasn't in December 2019 - it was a post-Covid decision. TPE never really reintroduced the Newcastle-Manchester Airport service before that decision though.

Even if Leeds - Victoria eventually goes back to 4tph, the MTF Castlefield timetable does not have a path for a second TPE Ordsall Chord service.
Indeed and so I can't see it ever returning.

Joe96

802s are cleared for the Airport and indeed they find themselves there on a daily basis (provided there's the crew!), with one diagram on Edinburgh-Manchester Airport services.

They also occasionally find themselves booked to visit the Airport on Manchester Airport-Liverpool/Leeds/York services during engineering works. When running to Leeds/York, they usually interwork between the Liverpool and Manchester Airport routes, as the turnround would otherwise be too long.

Under which headcodes do 802s find themselves there on a daily basis in the WTT?

Status
Not open for further replies.