• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales Evening Off Peak Restriction Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeJuice

Hi,

I've been looking at going from Holmes Chapel to Shrewsbury on before the new year and looked on brfares to check the off peak restrictions as I remembered Arriva introducing them.

BRFares ( http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=HCH&dest=SHR&rte=1000&tkt=CDR) says that the off peak evening restriction is:
Not valid for journeys starting between 16.00-18.29.
Connections to journeys that started before 16.00 are unaffected by this restriction.

However the national rail journey planner and the transport for wales site both say the off peak ticket is not valid on the 15:59 from Shrewsbury arriving Crewe at 16:28 and connecting to Holmes Chapel at 16:48. Based on the restriction code above this should be valid as it starts before 1600.

I've not been able to find the specific restriction code for that journey on National rail (I'm not sure if they've changed it), but the AW restriction is the same as above.

Any clarification on this would be appreciated

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Hi,

I've been looking at going from Holmes Chapel to Shrewsbury on before the new year and looked on brfares to check the off peak restrictions as I remembered Arriva introducing them.

BRFares ( http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=HCH&dest=SHR&rte=1000&tkt=CDR) says that the off peak evening restriction is:
Not valid for journeys starting between 16.00-18.29.
Connections to journeys that started before 16.00 are unaffected by this restriction.

However the national rail journey planner and the transport for wales site both say the off peak ticket is not valid on the 15:59 from Shrewsbury arriving Crewe at 16:28 and connecting to Holmes Chapel at 16:48. Based on the restriction code above this should be valid as it starts before 1600.

I've not been able to find the specific restriction code for that journey on National rail (I'm not sure if they've changed it), but the AW restriction is the same as above.

Any clarification on this would be appreciated
The electronic data restriction system used by booking engines doesn't cater for a restriction to be implemented in the way the text says, without manually customising the electronic restrictions for every possible origin/destination pair.

Really, the electronic data restriction system needs to change to stop issues such as this causing routine overcharging.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Ive just looked in STAR the CDR's to Crewe, Wilmslow & Manchester Stations are valid on the 1559 service but not the intermediate stations on the route requiring a change of train.

I would say its a glitch - the AW restriction is a blanket one size fits all one and well known by staff - no one is going to bat an eyelid when someone joins a train scheduled to depart before 1600 with an AW restriction ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.