• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - lowest satisfaction rating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welshguy1048

Transport for Wales has UK's lowest customer satisfaction rate

Transport for Wales(TfW) has the worst customer satisfaction for train operators in the whole of the UK after a slump in performance.

The figure for TfW has fallen sharply over the past 12 months - and most passengers who use the Welsh Government owned service will not be surprised.

There is a breakdown of different criteria judged with the worst TfW scores for punctuality/reliability (59%), value for money (51%) and frequency of services (54%).

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llandudno

Established Member
This is going some, there is considerable competition from TransPennine and Northern to win this accolade….!

TUC

Established Member
This is going some, there is considerable competition from TransPennine and Northern to win this accolade….!
Yes, who can win the contest for showing that being state-owned is irrelevant to being any good at doing the job.

Cambrian359

But James price said all would be better when the class 175 fleet returns to service from fire repairs/preventions…..oh wait he wasn’t quite being honest to the public was he, didn’t tell the public they were actually going off lease and not being returned to service(at least not for long for those that did).
I do however still thinks things will be transformational when when all planned works and fleet introductions are completed and possibly a victim of their own success in a few short years.in the mean time the rapids are just much rougher than anticipated.
TFW really need to be more open and honest about problems, people will be more forgiving.

TomG

I sometimes get the train from Brum to Machynlleth (Cambrian Coast Line) and it is really crowded. These are typically operated by Class 158's...whose A/C does not normally work.

The new trains arriving are going to have less seats (more standing room - but their overall capacity will be about 1% or 2% more than the current 158's) and 1 toilet. Plus less will be able to go on the Cambrian Coast Line as fewer of these units will be fitted with the ERTMS system.

Reliability is so bad with the class 158's they keep 2 rail replacement coaches on standby at Shrewsbury and Machynlleth (and no doubt other places on the network) in case of a break down or cancellation. Although, from experience, the Rail Replacement Bus from Shrewsbury to Machynlleth is quite scenic and pleasant once you leave Shrewsbury!

Several trips I made in August and September in North Wales suggested that things weren't so bad. The new trains are good, when not full, and many of the staff seemed genuinely engaged in the job. They have even got the handy service to Liverpool up to 2tph!

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Given the various bits of disruption faced by TfW passengers, including in many instances long term bus replacements that are incredibly unreliable, I am not surprised at all! I am curious about how the headline numbers break down to the specific routes (e.g. I suspect valley lines passengers will be particularly unhappy, and of those Treherbert line passengers even more unhappy).

Llandudno

Established Member
Several trips I made in August and September in North Wales suggested that things weren't so bad. The new trains are good, when not full, and many of the staff seemed genuinely engaged in the job. They have even got the handy service to Liverpool up to 2tph!
The ‘handy’ service to Liverpool is only one train every 2 hours with a three hour gap in the evening.

Supposedly going hourly in December 2023 - not holding my breath though!

Russel

Established Member
My experience of traveling with TFW this year, on multiple occasions, has actually been rather positive and much improved on previous years.

Markdvdman

I am a seriously regular user and the bus replacements were a complete disaster. Treherbert is actually not so bad at peak time - they get 2 buses half hourly (one all stops, one quicker) - though no replacement for trains! Trains Cardiff to Carmarthen and beyond have been terrible, late as or cancellations etc. H.O.W. line wow a joke that but as one poster said, you would like to think things will improve, but I have been hearing it for years - and does not help that they cannot keep to timetabled times often, and very RARELY apologise if 10 mins late which could be a missed final connection for example! It is all about just not bothering to be transparent and people would be more forgiving genrally if that was the case!

Topological

The Marches has been unacceptable. As noted trains going off lease without an obvious home. TfW were even warned about their failure to maintain 175s.

Hopefully the 197s operating in multiple will bring a big change, but the current offering is so far below what we had when the 175s ran almost every Marches train.

With so many journeys now split at Cardiff, it has also become apparent that TfW cannot manage their fleet at all. Almost every time the trains in the evening leave late. I feel for GWR having to share the SWML with TfW sometimes.

Krokodil

Established Member
I am curious about how the headline numbers break down to the specific routes

Borderlands Line passengers will almost certainly be the most peed off, thanks to the 230 debacle. Valley Lines passengers have endured a very long period of engineering blockades but will benefit from a much improved service afterwards. The Marches have suffered a lot: the number of areas the Milford Haven - Manchester service covers means that simpler operations have had to be prioritised to get 197s into service.

On the other hand, the Cambrian has recently started running four car trains through to Pwllheli for the first time since God knows when, the Conwy Valley has run reliably for a considerable period of time now. There was a fatality the other Sunday, but it's been a long time since flooding/rock falls/trees/crew shortages/units being pinched to strengthen Rugby internationals has been an excuse to just handing the service over to Llew Jones. The North Wales Coast has seen plenty of four car formations on Saturdays this summer, a massive improvement on the preceding 20 years. So there is visible progress in parts.

Other than some of the examples I listed in my first paragraph though, I think that many of the people whinging about TfW need to head to Huddersfield and have a chat with the passengers there. They might want to book a hotel though, can't guarantee that TPE will get them home.

Parallel

Established Member
I have noticed there seem to be more GWR trains leaving Cardiff Central late (that start there too), which really shouldn’t be happening. It seems they often get stuck behind Manchester or Holyhead trains that are in the same platform.

Last time I used the TfW network, there was a train going from Cardiff to Holyhead with no working toilets on board! Surely it could’ve been swapped onto something else.

gazthomas

Established Member
Once the 197s settle down there will still be a fundemental problem with the South Wales - North Wales axis. That is three, possibly 4 distinct routes each with their own demands and delays. As such delays on will continue to be inevitable. Tight turnarounds, for example at Holyhead don't help either, nor does the bogus track doubling between Wrexham and Chester

vicbury

Living in Lydney, I depend on TfW when I commute to the office. The service here on the Maesteg - Cheltenham service has noticeably worsened over the last year, it is very rare that I'm not filling out a delay repay form in the evening. The recent introduction of Class 175s has been a pleasant surprise though after the service had reached the lows of one-car Class 153s!

Krokodil

Established Member
Once the 197s settle down there will still be a fundemental problem with the South Wales - North Wales axis. That is three, possibly 4 distinct routes each with their own demands and delays. As such delays on will continue to be inevitable. Tight turnarounds, for example at Holyhead don't help either, nor does the bogus track doubling between Wrexham and Chester
So many delays on the Marches seem to stem from issues south of Shrewsbury. Issues with the various signal boxes or simply units being late off of Canton.

Caaardiff

The issue is that TFW Management have only been concerned about the transformation of the network since 2019. The focus has been on 2023 onwards with continual promises about how things will get better. There has been little focus on anything 2019-2022 and when things have gone wrong, there's been no contingency. They have been riding the waves since then having to battle with rubbish 769 and 230 reliability, not a great introduction of mk4's and an immense amount of training for those fleets, as well as throwing 197 and 231 training into the mix. Whoever thought trying to tackle all that in one short few years stint should come back down to reality. Even James Price himself said it should have been a 10+ year project rather than a 3-4 year project.
The issue now is they are too deep in it to go back on anything, and have to just continue to ride the waves and push the narrative that "Things will get better".

They still aren't out of the woods yet though. The 175's are hanging on by a thread, are still proving unreliable and should be gone by December. A fair chunk of the Valleys network has been closed for some time which will be reopening soon, so those 150's freed up will be required again.
There's a lot of 197's now in service, mainly being seen in the North which has boosted capacity on NWC routes. But once clearances in the South are complete (Cardiff - Swansea is imminent), those 197's will be shifted down South until more arrive. Therefore reducing capacity again in North Wales.
The remaining 3 170's will be going, further reducing capacity on Maesteg/Cheltenham and Ebbw Vale routes which will likely predominantly be 2 cars all day, as there doesn't seem to be any sign in the 231's cascading from Rhymney line to Maesteg/Ebbw Vale as intended. Overcrowding on Marches and North Wales routes has been horrendous again this summer but that is now behind us with Christmas demand looming ever closer.

Jez

Established Member
Not at all surprised to hear this. With the issues TFW have had with the class 175s, MK4s and 230s a lot has been unacceptable this year.

However things will improve once the 197's start running the full service from West Wales to Cardiff/Manchester. Now Cardiff to Swansea has been cleared for 197s hopefully Carmarthen wont be far behind and we will finally stop seeing 150s/153s on long distance routes.

sikejsudjek

The HoW line recently achieved having several stations in the bottom 100 in the UK for reliability. It's not getting better here...

Krokodil

Established Member
The HoW line recently achieved having several stations in the bottom 100 in the UK for reliability. It's not getting better here...
A very large chunk of the bottom 100 were TfW stations. Borderlands, Marches and HoW featuring heavily, plus a few Swanline stations.

Travelmonkey

Not at all surprised to hear this. With the issues TFW have had with the class 175s, MK4s and 230s a lot has been unacceptable this year.

However things will improve once the 197's start running the full service from West Wales to Cardiff/Manchester. Now Cardiff to Swansea has been cleared for 197s hopefully Carmarthen wont be far behind and we will finally stop seeing 150s/153s on long distance routes.
Despite all the gripe CAF units get I definitely was glad to be aboard a 197 last time I took the Crewe-Chester shuttle a marked improvement on the 153 units, I'm sure once all are in play with some working multiple that should help. One benefit vs the 175s as when coupled these can be walk through, I do want to try the FLRTs down south as they slowly get their green signal. TFW show ambition but its not going to be a overnight fix, I know the staff on the ground are working their asses off with the tools at their disposal.

Taunton

Established Member
Whoever thought trying to tackle all that in one short few years stint should come back down to reality. Even James Price himself said it should have been a 10+ year project rather than a 3-4 year project.
10 years was what it took 1958-68 to replace the entire UK steam fleet by diesel and some electric. It seems it now is expected to take this long to replace a relative handful of dmus by other dmus, in one area.

Travelmonkey

10 years was what it took 1958-68 to replace the entire UK steam fleet by diesel and some electric. It seems it now is expected to take this long to replace a relative handful of dmus by other dmus, in one area.
Bear in mind they are ripping out much of the valleys lines for tram trains, it took Transport for west midlands 6 years too add 2 extra Wolverhampton stops so a new network from the ground up is quite substantial.

Krokodil

Established Member
Despite all the gripe CAF units get I definitely was glad to be aboard a 197 last time I took the Crewe-Chester shuttle a marked improvement on the 153 units
That isn't a very high bar though. 197s are an improvement on many of the units they are replacing, but they could and should have been so much better. There were some very poor decisions by the designers.

10 years was what it took 1958-68 to replace the entire UK steam fleet by diesel
Which didn't go well in many cases. Some classes didn't last long at all, while others needed extensive modifications.

Caaardiff

I would imagine there's a lot more red tape and paperwork 60 years later.

DelW

Established Member
Despite all the gripe CAF units get I definitely was glad to be aboard a 197 last time I took the Crewe-Chester shuttle a marked improvement on the 153 units, I'm sure once all are in play with some working multiple that should help.

That isn't a very high bar though. 197s are an improvement on many of the units they are replacing, but they could and should have been so much better. There were some very poor decisions by the designers.
Indeed - while the new units will be welcome, it would be concerning if they *weren't* better than 35 year old vehicles which were themselves cobbled together when BR decided they had too many two-car sets, and then fitted with seats with very inadequate legroom.

allotments

My experience of traveling with TFW this year, on multiple occasions, has actually been rather positive and much improved on previous years.
Yes. Travelling twice each week with TfW between Llandudno Junction and Crewe, with many comfortable new class 197s typically running punctually, this is the best service I can remember.

Tomos y Tanc

Yes. Travelling twice each week with TfW between Llandudno Junction and Crewe, with many comfortable new class 197s typically running punctually, this is the best service I can remember.
Well, subjective anectotal evidence is just that! That's why passenger surveys are a useful tool.

Having said that, a survey of a company's overall performance doesn't give you a picture of individual routes and the TfW figures could well be skewed by the Treherbert line closure and other posessions on the valley lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.