• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - lowest satisfaction rating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lurcheroo

I think the black ones look quite smart. The LNER definitely looking like they’ve had better days.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Krokodil

Established Member
The black is hideous & does not show up in the countryside and the ex-LNER livery is scruffy looking.
Swooshy vinyls never age well.

In my view they should have gone for a reverse of the main livery - red with grey doors

MikeWM

Established Member
Having done a south Wales rover a couple of weeks ago, I'd say anecdotally that it is a mixed picture.
  • The Marches - really not great, insufficient capacity and an apparent tendency to pick up delays somehow or other on pretty much every service.
  • HoW - minor delays all over the place but the trains ran and seemed to have sufficient capacity, which seems to be an improvement over a month or two ago when lots of services were cancelled (according to RecentTrainTimes).
  • Cardiff 'metro' - seemed mostly fine to me, though I avoided the bustituted lines.
  • Maesteg line - delays and more delays. Admittedly not helped in one case by antisocial behaviour and the guard (quite understandably) refusing to let the train proceed until people who refused to pay the fare had got off, but it was already rather late before that.
  • West of Swansea - largely fine when I travelled. I did see single 153s allocated to Pembroke Dock services at times, but fortunately not when I was heading that way.
  • Shrewsbury to Telford etc. - rubbish timetable that has the TfW service go out a few minutes before the WMT stopper (then nothing for the rest of the hour). Result is that the TfW often is late and goes out after the stopper, gets stuck behind it, and is terminated before it gets to Birmingham International. Confusing for those at Shrewsbury trying to work out which service will leave first - needs a better timetable.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Shrewsbury to Telford etc. - rubbish timetable that has the TfW service go out a few minutes before the WMT stopper (then nothing for the rest of the hour). Result is that the TfW often is late and goes out after the stopper, gets stuck behind it, and is terminated before it gets to Birmingham International. Confusing for those at Shrewsbury trying to work out which service will leave first - needs a better timetable.
Or for WMT to bring back their 2nd train an hour which ran for a few months before Covid hit. At least it makes it a bit more balanced in terms of departures (although Shrewsbury - Wolverhampton isn't the only line which has 2tph but both trains departing close together)

Bikeman78

Established Member
What could be done though at a half decent price? The only thing I can think of is more signals so that trains can be closer to the platform to and maybe save a minute of delays (similar to platform 6) or mid point signals on P1/2/3/4 so that the full platforms are utilised better. And/or mid platforms crossovers to get trains from P1A onto the platform 0 line or from platform 2A onto the through line (and vice versa in this case). The platforms are long enough and all with BiDi signalling so why not make full use of them? Yes if it's a 10 car Class 800, it isn't going to work but generally with the 5 car or less would work well, especially if there is disruption.
More intelligent Automatic Route Setting would help. All too often a train will be held outside for a long time waiting for the booked platform whilst other platforms are empty. I believe the Reading ARS will route trains into the first available platform either side of the same island. The Cardiff system needs to do the same.

Jez

Established Member
It’s ironic that on RTT TfW trains still say “reservations recommended“.

I don’t know under who’s control correcting that would be.
I wonder when TFW intend reintroducing reservations, if they ever will. On thr 197s they have the reservations system but with no data. It would be a shame if theee were not used. Perhaps they are waiting for more services to be 4 or 5 car.

Krokodil

Established Member
What could be done though at a half decent price?
Starting services at Swansea (or at least Bridgend) so that you aren't crossing trains all of the way across several lines to get from Canton to their booked platform would help. The Holyheads seem to be the worst offenders.

Purple Train

Established Member
Having only ever previously used ATW (back in those turquoise years) once from Piccadilly to Stockport, I thought I'd try the full journey to Cardiff yesterday on my way southwest.

The full story will appear in my trip reports thread at some stage, but I ended up in Exeter an hour late and only thanks to a very understanding guard, my train from Manchester was 63 minutes late at Newport (where I bailed) due to being sent via Chester and Wrexham from Crewe thanks to a signal fault at Nantwich, and had at least some standing passengers the whole way.

To be honest if XC had bothered to run on time I'd have arrived much happier (such was the padding in my original plan) but still, rather poor show in my book. Next time I'll go for a "Gerald".
We are on the 12:03 Carmarthen to Manchester. Running late and absolutely heaving.
I watched that leave Newport after arriving on the down Manchester, and goodness I don't envy you in that crowd! The 197 also didn't seem to like the rain (literally pouring down the windows in sheets)...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm very much mixed with TfW. When the rest of the network is on strike, they're often very useful for helping me keep my days off useful for exploring and not stuck at home all day. Other times, they vary hugely.

Last Sunday, for example, bar 1 7 minute delay caused by other operators running late at Crewe, all of the TfW services I used were on time. That is a rare occurance in my experience during 2023! Yesterday, I used TfW 3 times (Hereford-Chester, Chester-Shrewsbury and Shrewsbury-Hereford) and the biggest delay was around 11 minutes on the Chester to Shrewsbury leg. Exceptional to see such minimal delay, especially on a day when others that have posted on this thread had very different experiences!

When it's good, TfW are great. The second a feather lands anywhere near the railway, however, things seem to go wrong and fast. A slight exaggeration there, I'll hold my hands up to that, but I just don't have much confidence in TfW actually running. The staff on stations and trains are almost always excellent, but the trains themselves and the situations the staff have to deal with seem to be sliding towards a Central Trains situation!

Nevasleep

I'm fed up of the lack of capacity in peak hours.
Previously lived near Cogan, and now near Ebbw Vale. When two carriages turn up it's depressing!

What really grates me is that a single train elsewhere in the UK can be 10/12 carriages. The new stock, electrification, and new signs are nice to haves, but for everyone to physically (and comfortably) board a train would be better.

Parallel

Established Member
TfW seem to be subject to crush loading between Manchester and Cardiff on Sundays. This was my recent experience with them. We arrived into Newport an hour late due to train crew stuck on an inbound working (due to take over our train at Shrewsbury) that had been delayed between Abergavenny and Hereford. The following train also was well over an hour late too. Whilst the initial delay wasn’t TfW’s fault, it does make you wonder if a few of the crew diagrams are too tight - and 2 carriages only can’t cope on Sundays. From memory, the following train was a class 150.

The train was like this from Manchester to at least as far as Cardiff.

Attachments

• IMG_7190.jpeg
    IMG_7190.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 89

Jez

Established Member
TfW seem to be subject to crush loading between Manchester and Cardiff on Sundays. This was my recent experience with them. We arrived into Newport an hour late due to train crew stuck on an inbound working (due to take over our train at Shrewsbury) that had been delayed between Abergavenny and Hereford. The following train also was well over an hour late too. Whilst the initial delay wasn’t TfW’s fault, it does make you wonder if a few of the crew diagrams are too tight - and 2 carriages only can’t cope on Sundays. From memory, the following train was a class 150.

The train was like this from Manchester to at least as far as Cardiff.
Sundays seem to be just as busy on the TFW network as every other day now. Sometimes can get 4 or 5 car formations of Sprinters on a Sunday particularly the 1330 and 1430 from Manchester which can help.

sd0733

Established Member
Sundays seem to be just as busy on the TFW network as every other day now. Sometimes can get 4 or 5 car formations of Sprinters on a Sunday particularly the 1330 and 1430 from Manchester which can help.
They can be worse as the passenger flow is generally concentrated over less time.
Yesterday was particularly bad with 1130 and 1230 from Manchester both 2 car 197s leaving considerable numbers behind. Unfortunately then the 1330 which collected them all failed.

Krokodil

Established Member
What really grates me is that a single train elsewhere in the UK can be 10/12 carriages.
Yep, and according to posters living in those parts it's possible these days to monopolise an entire table on a peak train. Yet services in the regions are threatened with cuts.

TfW seem to be subject to crush loading between Manchester and Cardiff on Sundays.
On any day with a 'y' in it, more like.

trainophile

Established Member

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but it hasn’t gone down wel.

Link is regarding a plan to provide extra trains after events in Cardiff. £10 million already spent on it but it’s not going to happen now.

A project aimed at improving railway travel for big events in Cardiff has been scrapped. As a result, a cost of £10.54m that was spent on preparing to build the track has been deemed as "irrecoverable."

In an annual report published by Transport for Wales, the not-for-profit company owned by the Welsh government revealed that the decision was taken to cease the Llanwern Major Event Stabling Line project. The construction of the stabling line, located near the Llanwern steelworks in Newport, was announced in 2017.

The project would have been the development of a staging area where extra passenger trains would be waiting on the 1.6km length of track before being deployed during periods of high demand, including rugby matches and concerts at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff.

However, this year's report concluded that the project had been cancelled as it currently had "no foreseeable future value." Transport for Wales also said that they were unable to recover the £10.54m of public money that had been spent on the project since 2018.

Last edited:

Caaardiff

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but it hasn’t gone down wel.

Link is regarding a plan to provide extra trains after events in Cardiff. £10 million already spent on it but it’s not going to happen now.
More specifically to provide stabling place in Llanwern for trains to park up awaiting space to get into Cardiff central.
But in a year or so time TFW will have more trains to be able to move around the network to provide extra capacity.

Valleys services already have 3-4 car staplers with 231s eventually on maesteg and ebbw vale services. The trams will be much more regular and there'll be plenty of 197s to move south.
They'll never get rid of the overcrowding after events as the stadium is right next to the station so its impossible to spread out the crowds. The difference is hopefully extra capacity will just help the queues move quicker.

anthony263

Established Member
More specifically to provide stabling place in Llanwern for trains to park up awaiting space to get into Cardiff central.
But in a year or so time TFW will have more trains to be able to move around the network to provide extra capacity.

Valleys services already have 3-4 car staplers with 231s eventually on maesteg and ebbw vale services. The trams will be much more regular and there'll be plenty of 197s to move south.
They'll never get rid of the overcrowding after events as the stadium is right next to the station so its impossible to spread out the crowds. The difference is hopefully extra capacity will just help the queues move quicker.
I'm dreadinh euro 2028. If oy the uk government got on now getting the wires up to Bristol TM and Swansea and negotiated with the owners to get the 379s back into use

Cambrian359

Not sure which topic to post in - this is what they are saying to the public today in defence of the current poor service. Claiming they have 151 trains today compared to 128 they started with when they took over.
BUT I get the feeling they aren’t being very honest, how many of the 151 they have today are actually in service??
There are a lot parked up at the moment and will be for some time. Is this another pulling the wool over the public’s eyes again?
Like they did claiming the 175 fleet was coming back into service and all will be better when in fact they were going off lease and some never seen a passenger on them again!!!
I’m completely behind TFW plans and aspirations to improve things but I’m against fudging the facts and not being completely honest with people.
Screenshot attached

Attachments

• IMG_2782.jpeg
    IMG_2782.jpeg
    383.1 KB · Views: 42

allaction

I agree with your views, which you have put very well. I fear inexperience at the very top, which is now spilling into incompetence.

I fully support all the staff (some of whom are on this forum) for all they achieve for the passengers every day.

DLAYKEGER

Well 5 of them are possibly 230s, and I have only ever seen 4 of them, out of which they only have one in passenger service at a time until reliability improves. Enough daid

Markdvdman

Today was not good! The 2 car 197 from Manchester to Carmarthen (from Bridgend at 3:06 for my arrival at Llanelli for 4:02pm) - was late by 17 mins at Bridgend. However, terminated at Swansea due to lack of train crew. It did not help that the 3pm from Bridgend to Swansea GWR was delayed and ran behind). Worst thing was told to get on the 15:57 service to Pembroke Dock - it was a single 153! Suffice to say the 153 was rammed and was about 2 mins late when i got off at Llanelli. Ticket was not checked once. I wonder how much revenue they are losing??? I purchased a ticket in advance, (£7.40) but I could easily have travelled for free not that I would ever do that!!!

Cambrian359

I agree with your views, which you have put very well. I fear inexperience at the very top, which is now spilling into incompetence.

I fully support all the staff (some of whom are on this forum) for all they achieve for the passengers every day.

Baffling why you would tell the public we have more trains than ever while theres up to 80 full journey cancellations a day recently (plus part cancellations) and smaller 2 car commuter trains have been frequently running on a long distance inter city route!
I really do hope things get better for them soon but tell the customers the truth! Teething problems with the new fleet,waiting on infrastructure upgrades to bring in other new fleets etc etc

Jez

Established Member
Twice this week ive been out to get new 197s and twice i was delayed - on Monday by 35 minutes when getting the 1700 from Neath to Cardiff, today the 1520 Neath to Chester was about 10 minutes late. I dont understand the constant delays when the services are only starting in Carmarthen or Swansea. Today the 1500 Manchester from Neath was 20 mins late (which no doubt is what caused the Chester to be late behind it.) I hope things are resolved when services start working to and from Milford and Fishguard otherwise there will be even more delays.

The return journeys were on time to be fair, my return at 1629 from Port Talbot today was early into Port Talbot and sat there for a few minutes but still managed to then lose a few minutes at Neath!

As well as there delays capacity is still a massive issue. Whilst the 1520 Chester was fairly lightly loaded, not surprising with it being just behind the Manchester, both the 1620 Port Talbot to Cardiff that i saw whilst waiting for my train and 1629 Port Talbot to Carmarthen were extremely busy, the latter only coping as it was 3 carriages.

Status
Not open for further replies.