• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CPFC#1

Cardiff. I hope this new lockdown dosen't hold things up for too long. What depot you for?
I went for Chester. Yea same, apparently they are doing remote learning so hopefully that will allow them to carry on with new courses

Mrt83

I went for Chester. Yea same, apparently they are doing remote learning so hopefully that will allow them to carry on with new courses
Hopefully. Just a question of how it will affect the medicals being done. Just have to wait and see, and hope it's not too long.

Lankywhale

Just had the generic email update saying my application is still under review. First since November 3rd

Lm2020

Same here, At least we know our application hasn’t been lost, to be fair I think if we had been rejected we would of known by now

Catweasel

Yes just got the email saying got into the talent pool.
Congratulations! Where have you applied for? I found out in mid November, still waiting for a course in Cardiff. I think there are a few waiting, fingers crossed we all get on courses at the same time! Again, well done, nice Christmas present!

Leemini

Congratulations! Where have you applied for? I found out in mid November, still waiting for a course in Cardiff. I think there are a few waiting, fingers crossed we all get on courses at the same time! Again, well done, nice Christmas present!
I also applied for Cardiff. Definitely would be great if a few of us could get on the same course.

John1927

Hi John where is that for :)

Im in the pool for cardiff but have only been there since november so wandering how much of a wait im likely have.

Cardiff mainline, I had a four month wait from pool to starting. Which is meant to be quite a quick turnaround based on most.

Platform9

How is it going mate?

Have they mentioned to you about when the next course to follow you guys is?
Yeah not bad thanks.

Quite a chunk of the learning so far has been done online, although we're now in the classroom.

I'm in Chester so wouldn't know about Cardiff unfortunately but good luck !

Rails2020

Cardiff mainline, I had a four month wait from pool to starting. Which is meant to be quite a quick turnaround based on most.
That does seem quick if mine is something similar I'll be over the moon. All the best mate

Yeah not bad thanks.

Quite a chunk of the learning so far has been done online, although we're now in the classroom.

I'm in Chester so wouldn't know about Cardiff unfortunately but good luck !
Fair enough mate good luck with it all

Catweasel

That does seem quick if mine is something similar I'll be over the moon. All the best mate

Fair enough mate good luck with it all
I'd be over the moon too if its that quick! Got my resignation letter written ready!

@John1927 how much notice did they give you before the start of the coure? Was it maybe a weeks notice for the medical then another 3 weeks to the start of the course? And what sort of topics are you learning so far? Glad its going ok for you! Lots of headwork, I bet

@Welsh lady have you heard about any courses yet?

John1927

I'd be over the moon too if its that quick! Got my resignation letter written ready!

@John1927 how much notice did they give you before the start of the coure? Was it maybe a weeks notice for the medical then another 3 weeks to the start of the course? And what sort of topics are you learning so far? Glad its going ok for you! Lots of headwork, I bet

@Welsh lady have you heard about any courses yet?

definitely had six weeks or even more notice from pre medical to start

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

Are TfW taking trainees directly into the Mainline links at Cardiff now?

Ever since Wales & West / Valley Lines it used to be you had to serve your sentence on the Valleys before you got to go Mainline.

Mrt83

Are TfW taking trainees directly into the Mainline links at Cardiff now?

Ever since Wales & West / Valley Lines it used to be you had to serve your sentence on the Valleys before you got to go Mainline.
I was told at my DMI that recruitment was for both mainline and valleys. When the email came saying I was in the pool it asked if I had any preference for mainline or valleys as well.

Leemini

I was told at my DMI that recruitment was for both mainline and valleys. When the email came saying I was in the pool it asked if I had any preference for mainline or valleys as well.
Hi I also had an email advising that I got into the tal by pool but had nothing about mainline or valleys as an option.

Mrt83

Hi I also had an email advising that I got into the tal by pool but had nothing about mainline or valleys as an option.
Mine asked me to indicate if I had a preference for either or not. I also had list of locations, but Cardiff was the only one within 1 hr

Where are you going for?