• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travel around Birmingham

DJS76

In a few weeks time, I've got around 6 hours to kill in Birmingham on a Saturday (my daughter is attending an open day at the University). So a couple of questions:
1. Is there an equivalent of a London Travelcard that I can purchase for unlimited travel in the area?
2. I can travel from University Station into New Street, does anyone have any recommendations of interesting or scenic routes I could take from there (bearing in mind I only have a few hours).

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wolfie

Established Member
You may find this helpful.

Spaceship323

In a few weeks time, I've got around 6 hours to kill in Birmingham on a Saturday (my daughter is attending an open day at the University). So a couple of questions:
1. Is there an equivalent of a London Travelcard that I can purchase for unlimited travel in the area?
2. I can travel from University Station into New Street, does anyone have any recommendations of interesting or scenic routes I could take from there (bearing in mind I only have a few hours).

Thanks
The West Midlands Daytripper at £10.50 is ideal

CaptainHaddock

Established Member

Thanks
I'm no expert on Birmingham but if it's scenery and interesting rail infrastructure you're keen on I'd suggest getting a day return from Birmingham (Snow Hill or Moor Street) to Stratford on Avon, out via Solihull and back via Henley in Arden (or vice versa). Once you get out of the bult up area the views are lovely and there are some great preserved station buildings en route.

Or if you'd rather just take one train from University, you're under an hour away from the Malvern Hills (take the Hereford train and get off at Great Malvern).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm no expert on Birmingham but if it's scenery and interesting rail infrastructure you're keen on I'd suggest getting a day return from Birmingham (Snow Hill or Moor Street) to Stratford on Avon, out via Solihull and back via Henley in Arden (or vice versa). Once you get out of the bult up area the views are lovely and there are some great preserved station buildings en route.

I was going to recommend that - I've done exactly the same myself when faced with a few spare hours in Brum. Stratford is nice for a walk round too before heading back.

With a bit longer (check timings as it's only hourly) the ride to Hereford and back is quite scenic too, and Shrewsbury isn't terrible either.

I'd not say anything inside the WM area is that good, unless post-industrial decay is your thing (in which case just ride up to Wolves and back).

Spaceship323

I was going to recommend that - I've done exactly the same myself when faced with a few spare hours in Brum. Stratford is nice for a walk round too before heading back.

With a bit longer (check timings as it's only hourly) the ride to Hereford and back is quite scenic too, and Shrewsbury isn't terrible either.

I'd not say anything inside the WM area is that good, unless post-industrial decay is your thing (in which case just ride up to Wolves and back).
If you don't want to go far and like Industrial arcitecture, then get the Wolves train to Smethwick Galton Bridge, go upstairs to P.3 and get the train back via Snow Hill to Moor Street then walk back to New Street. There's good toilets and a coffee shop at Moor Street Station

trainJam

For a similar ticket to the London Travelcard, we have the Daytripper (get the Off-Peak version if you are coming on Saturday) which has recently risen to £8.20.

There are also "Add-on" (+£1.60) and "Plus" (+£3.00) extras which give a larger rail area.

Unlike the London Travelcard, there is no out-boundary (ie combined with a return to London) equivalent, so it will be a separate ticket. Unfortunately, there are no railcard discounts - depending on whether you have a railcard and how much travelling you want to do or if you wish to use the buses or the tram, it may or may not be better to just buy a day return to one place e.g. Stratford-upon-avon (£6.75 with national railcard discount).

On the West Midlands Railway ticket vending machines, the fastest way to find it is at the bottom of the popular destinations (menu). It is also in the "Travelcard(s)" menu. Inputting "Daytripper" as a destination also works.
Buses also sell the Daytripper on bus ticket stock.

Add-on and Plus are only available to buy from the rail ticket office or rail staff.

TheTallOne

Or if you fancy a slower pace, get the tram from Birmingham New Street to Edgbaston Village. Have a wander around the reservoir and see the views from there of the city.

There’s a few places to eat around the “village” area too.

Or if it’s raining, maybe head for a museum or two:
* jewellery quarter museum
* coffin works near the JQ / Great Charles Street area
* ikon gallery near Brindley Place (also near tram route)
* police museum on Steelhouse Lane (near Snow Hill station)
* pen museum (JQ area)

P Binnersley

All good museums, but some have limited opening

Or if it’s raining, maybe head for a museum or two:
* jewellery quarter museum - "Temporarily Closed" (has been for some time).
* coffin works near the JQ / Great Charles Street area - Thursday to Sunday only.
* ikon gallery near Brindley Place (also near tram route) - Open daily, current exhibitions finish at Easter.
* police museum on Steelhouse Lane (near Snow Hill station) - Open Wednesday to Saturday (but closed some days for group bookings)
* pen museum (JQ area) - Thursday to Sunday only

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The obvious thing to do is to get the train from New Street to Wolverhampton, and spend a couple of hours in the Great Western PH next door whilst looking at all the railway memorabilia and drinking Batham’s. There’s not many better eays to spend a Saturday afternoon in the West Mids.

TheTallOne

All good museums, but some have limited opening
Saturday was mentioned, and that seems fine for all but the JQ museum. Didn't realise that was closed.
The obvious thing to do is to get the train from New Street to Wolverhampton, and spend a couple of hours in the Great Western PH next door whilst looking at all the railway memorabilia and drinking Batham’s. There’s not many better eays to spend a Saturday afternoon in the West Mids.
Oooh, do that, do that.

jp4712

From University you could get a train to Bromsgrove and back, so that you can say you’ve ‘done’ the Lickey Incline. However since it has been electrified it’s not a very dramatic ride, as the 323s make short work of it. Actually a ride on a 323 is quite interesting if you’re not familiar with them, the West Midlands ones are going quite soon. If you ride on one, ride in an end coach to get the full ‘formula one’ sound effects.

Wolfie

Established Member
Used to be a shedload of Wolves stuff too, but a refurbishment last year reduced both that and the railway material. I heartily agree with the suggestion (or the pub on Codsall station owned by the same brewery might be a fallback) though. However, l would strongly suggest, given the mention of Saturday, that you check if Wolves have a home fixture. The Western will be absolutely heaving if we do.

12LDA28C

Established Member

Now this is sound advice.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Used to be a shedload of Wolves stuff too, but a refurbishment last year reduced both that and the railway material. I heartily agree with the suggestion (or the pub on Codsall station owned by the same brewery might be a fallback) though. However, l would strongly suggest, given the mention of Saturday, that you check if Wolves have a home fixture. The Western will be absolutely heaving if we do.

Fair point (although Batham’s often absent from Codsall station, and 1tph…).

If Wolves are at home, the Western will be heaving between 1230-1430.

Llanigraham

On Moderation

Nowhere better in Wolves for a pint and lunch!!
And you could always catch the train one way and the tram the other, for a bit of variety.

peteb

If you're at Birmingham University, then a cross city train to Lichfield will take you right through the heart of the city, via industrial suburbs of Aston and through leafy Sutton Coldfield. There's a great Cathedral to visit at Lichfield plus some decent pubs. And a direct service back to University station.

boiledbeans2

Actually a ride on a 323 is quite interesting if you’re not familiar with them, the West Midlands ones are going quite soon. If you ride on one, ride in an end coach to get the full ‘formula one’ sound effects.
This is literally the sound advice.

I'd recommend the above. I've been to Birmingham multiple times just for the sake of the 323s. If you're coming from London, you can consider buying a ticket from London to Longbridge instead of University*. The fares are the same, and you could break your journey at Birmingham New Street and University. Therefore, you get a free return 323 ride.

*Note, this is for an Off peak return of £69. Other tickets may be different.

If you're a music lover, there's HMV Vault in Birmingham, which is the largest music shop in Europe according to it's own website.**

**Another literal sound advice

Last edited:

sprinterguy

Established Member
Or if you'd rather just take one train from University, you're under an hour away from the Malvern Hills (take the Hereford train and get off at Great Malvern).
That was going to be my first suggestion as well: A direct train ride from University, about as scenic as you can get in the West Mids, and Great Malvern itself is lovely.

Willie Bee

if you are travelling there by train, you could consider a PlusBus ticket.

The adult price is £4 which gives unlimited bus / tram travel around Birmingham for a day

Jamesrob637

Established Member

That's good on a rainy day. Canalside walking is good on a nice day, of which there are plenty in the West Midlands.

BrianW

Established Member
I'm pleased that you are planning to leave your daughter to do her own thing, get her own impressions and make her own decisions regarding 'uni'; I hope she feels ok about. 'Transition' to student life and being away from family, friends and familiar places can be quite daunting. I was a 'hall warden' at another uni. Can you, gently, check that's what she wants- despite her longings for independence, she is likely to need to look to you at times. Unis often often events/ talks/ tours etc for parents. Enough of that for now.
'Googling' on <student areas of Birmingham> identifies a lot of areas you may find interesting to explore, eg Bourneville, which I recall Michael Portillo visiting. As a student in Sheffield I found the Peak District easily accessible and attractive- some took to serious hiking, climbing, potholing. I don't know Birmingham- it must have (almost) similar- Malvern, Lickey Hills have been recommended above.
I hope you and your daughter enjoy your day, and that your daughter also visits all the unis in which she is interested.

basfordlad

Cross city line is a good choice or over to wolves
I used to live in bham but often came back and just had a ride round

Dave W

Back into Brum, round to Moor St, down to Stourbridge. Take in the rattle box down to the Town, number 8 bus to the Bull and Bladder on the Delph - the home of Bathams - and sit there with several pints of mild and a bag of KVE scratchings.

Not Wolverhampton. Never Wolverhampton ;) :lol:

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Back into Brum, round to Moor St, down to Stourbridge. Take in the rattle box down to the Town, number 8 bus to the Bull and Bladder on the Delph - the home of Bathams - and sit there with several pints of mild and a bag of KVE scratchings.

Not Wolverhampton. Never Wolverhampton ;) :lol:
Fine a plan as that sounds, the OP has already said that as he's driving to and from Birmingham he won't be able to enjoy a few beers.