• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

traveling from one station to another, but not leaving and then travelling back...

Status
Not open for further replies.

beanwalls

Hi All,

I'm potentially travelling from South Norwood to London Bridge to meet someone, give them something they forgot at my house, and then come back. I wont leave the station and will come straight back again. Any ideas what fare I'll be charged?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrJeeves

Established Member
If you're using contactless or PAYG, two maximum fares.

• Between 0 - 2 minutes: a maximum fare. If you re-enter the same or a different station within 45 minutes, you'll be refunded. This doesn't apply if you take a bus or tram before re-entering a station

• Between 2 - 30 minutes: minimum pay as you go fare from that station

• More than 30 minutes: we'll assume two separate journeys have been made and both will be incomplete. You'll be charged two maximum fares

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I'm potentially travelling from South Norwood to London Bridge to meet someone, give them something they forgot at my house, and then come back. I wont leave the station and will come straight back again. Any ideas what fare I'll be charged?
A different option, if you think you are going to be quicker than 70 minutes is to touch in at Norwood Junction, travel to London Bridge, then on the return journey alight at Crystal Palace. Then you will just be charged the fare from Norwood Junction to Crystal Palace.

beanwalls

If you're using contactless or PAYG, two maximum fares.

That's a pain. So I have to touch in and out, even though I don't need to leave the station. This makes my turnaround much longer.. how annoying.

Thank you though - I couldn't find an answer to that question anywhere!

A different option, if you think you are going to be quicker than 70 minutes is to touch in at Norwood Junction, travel to London Bridge, then on the return journey alight at Crystal Palace. Then you will just be charged the fare from Norwood Junction to Crystal Palace.
I'd definitely be less than 70mins. 5mins or less at London Bridge before turning around and coming back. Interesting idea. But then I'll have to get home from Crystal Palace, making the total fare more than the off peak London Bridge fare... Potential great idea for peak times though!

Last edited:

Jan Mayen

Touching out then back in shouldn't add that much to your journey time (unless you are meeting on the same platform). I occasionally need to tap out using my Southern KeyGo card, then tap in with Oyster to continue to Charing Cross.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
But then I'll have to get home from Crystal Palace, making the total fare more than the off peak London Bridge fare...
Norwood Junction to London Bridge is £3.60 single on Oyster / Contactless, so that is £7.20 return, once you have touched in and out at London Bridge.

Norwood Junction to Crystal Palace is £2.50 single. Anerley, Birkbeck or Selhurst could also be used if they are closer to where you need to get back to.

The issue is you can't start and end an Oyster or Contactless journey at the same station without touching out and back in somewhere in between.

It should also be noted that you can't go from Norwood Junction to a nearby station via London Bridge with a 'paper ticket' between those nearby locations as you would be off route.

Last edited:

londonbridge

Established Member
If you contact the person before you arrive and tell them which platform you’re arriving on they could meet you at the gateline where you could pass the item across and then get your train back without having to go through the barrier. Unless it’s a bulky item of course.

Edit: sorry, wasn’t thinking for a second, ignore that as you would end up with a same station exit when you tapped out at Norwood.

fandroid

Established Member
If you just want to pay the straight single PAYG fares for each leg without any head scratching over implications of the time spent outside the barriers, just use separate cards for each leg

clagmonster

Established Member
It would be more expensive than contactless or PAYG, but if you got a paper day return from Norwood Junction to London Bridge you wouldn't need to pass through the gate line at London Bridge. Would cost £10.80, available from the booking office at Norwood Junction.

Status
Not open for further replies.