• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelling around Heathrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good Morning,

All being well, in a couple of months time I shall be doing a flight from/to Heathrow Terminal Five, I don't fly often and have not been from Five yet.

I intend to travel from my home to LHR on the 555 bus which goes to T4, Hatton X & the central Bus Station.

Is there still free bus, train & Underground travel around the Airport,? as the most logical way I think to get to T5, if for me to get on my 555 at T4 and get a train/tube or bus to T5, but not sure if I would have to pay for that section.?

Looking at a LHR map, it indicates that joining the Piccadilly line at Hatton Cross may incur a charge.

Are there ticket barriers gates to/from the Piccadilly line at T4 & T5?

Or are there any airport operated inter-terminal free buses still?

Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
To be clear, if you're using Oyster or contactless you can travel free on the underground between Terminals 4 and 5, changing at Hatton Cross so long as you do not exit at Hatton Cross.

Anyone can travel on Heathrow Express free within Heathrow. If you are travelling between T4 and T5 you'll have to change.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
You'd have to pay from Hatton Cross on the tube- it is in the free zone only for interchange- so you'd be better off staying on the bus to Central bus station. If you get off at T4 then the tube and HEx are free, but in both cases you'd have to change trains at T1,2,3 (Central) anyway.

http://www.heathrow.com/airport-guide/getting-around-heathrow/travel-between-terminals

The airport terminal transfer buses are only available airside for transit passengers.

You can travel for free on all of the following services as long as you travel entirely within the Heathrow Airport Free Travel Zone.

••••Trains••••
• Heathrow Connect between T123 and T4
• Heathrow Connect between T123 and T5
• Heathrow Express between T123 and T4
• Heathrow Express between T123 and T5

••••London Underground••••
• You can travel free on the London Underground between T123 and T4 and T5 only if you have an Oyster Card or Contactless Card. You can also travel via Hatton Cross but you can not enter or exit at this station for free.

••••Non TFL Buses••••
• Abellio Surrey Route 441
• Abellio Surrey Route 446
• Abellio Surrey Route 555
• Arriva Shires Route 724
• First Berkshire Route 60
• First Berkshire Route 61
• First Berkshire Route 71
• First Berkshire Route 75
• First Berkshire Route 76
• First Berkshire Route 77
• First Berkshire Route 78
• Go Ahead Carousel Buses Route 730
• Go Ahead Carousel Buses Route 740
• Go Ahead Carousel Buses Route A40

••••TFL Buses••••
• Abellio London Route 350
• Abellio London Route 490
• Metroline Route 90
• Metroline Route 105
• Metroline Route 140
• Metroline Route 482
• Metroline Route A10
• Metroline Route U3
• RATP London United Route 81
• RATP London United Route 111
• RATP London United Route 222
• RATP London United Route 285
• RATP London United Route 423
• RATP London United Route H98
• RATP London United Route N9
• RATP Quality Line Route X26

••••Other Buses••••
• You can also travel free on all of the various different car park buses that run around Heathrow Airport. There are around 15 to 20 different routes.

••••Other Transport••••
• Heathrow Pods

••••You Can Not Travel For Free On••••
• National Express Hotel Hoppa Route H1
• National Express Hotel Hoppa Route H3
• National Express Hotel Hoppa Route H4
• National Express Hotel Hoppa Route H6
• National Express Hotel Hoppa Route H7
• National Express Hotel Hoppa Route H53
• National Express Hotel Hoppa Route H54
• National Express Hotel Hoppa Route H55
• National Express Hotel Hoppa Route H56
• National Express Hotel Hoppa Route H57
• National Express Hotel Hoppa Route H57X
• National Express Hotel Hoppa Route H58
• Any Coach Services

Hope this helps.

bangor-toad

I intend to travel from my home to LHR on the 555 bus which goes to T4, Hatton X & the central Bus Station.

I'd say you have two options:
The first is to change buses at T4 onto a 482 or 490 which take you around to T5.
The second would be to stay on until you get to the Central Bus Station and then get a HEX over to T5.

Both would be free. Personally I'd get off at T4 and change buses on the way there as it would probably be the quickest. However, on the way back I'd head to the Central Bus Station to make sure I got a seat as the bus starts it's journey.

Have a good trip,
Mr Toad

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Thank you all for your very kind and quick replies. Very useful :) Just one thing, I understand about free Tube travel between T 4 & T 5 via T123. I need to tap in and out on my contactless card, but I won't get charged, is that correct?

(The pods sound fun, if I get there early I may try one.)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thank you all for your very kind and quick replies. Very useful :) Just one thing, I understand about free Tube travel between T 4 & T 5 via T123. I need to tap in and out on my contactless card, but I won't get charged, is that correct?

(The pods sound fun, if I get there early I may try one.)
That journey is free, so you won't be charged.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
How far from your start point is the nearest Piccadilly Line station to you?

The near Piccadilly station to me, would be T4 or Hatton X.

I may look at connections via Staines as my local bus takes about 10-15 to Staines Bus Station and I think I have seen buses from there to T5 which I don't think is too far distancewise. That may be quicker than using the 555 to T4 which takes about 45 mins, then allowing for changing and journey time add another 30 mins ish from T4 to T5.

(Although I have just heard that all my local buses may be changing operator soon anyway!)

James Wake

Steve I would recommend getting the 555 to Terminal 4 then a 482 or 490 which will both be free down to Terminal 5. If you can go via Staines, then the 441, 446 and 71 go direct to Terminal 5 (I think the 71 is changing route number to 7 on Saturday). Depends on costs and times, but I would personally get the 555 then 482/490.

Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Steve I would recommend getting the 555 to Terminal 4 then a 482 or 490 which will both be free down to Terminal 5. If you can go via Staines, then the 441, 446 and 71 go direct to Terminal 5 (I think the 71 is changing route number to 7 on Saturday). Depends on costs and times, but I would personally get the 555 then 482/490.

Thanks, I shall have a look at the timetables nearer the time and see which routing works out the best.

miami

Established Member
The pods are good - I used one last week to get to the Thistle (I wasn't flying). It's a shame they don't extend everywhere on the heathrow campus.

gage75

You can travel for free on all of the following services as long as you travel entirely within the Heathrow Airport Free Travel Zone.

••••Trains••••
• Heathrow Connect between T123 and T4
• Heathrow Connect between T123 and T5
• Heathrow Express between T123 and T4
• Heathrow Express between T123 and T5

••••London Underground••••
• You can travel free on the London Underground between T123 and T4 and T5 only if you have an Oyster Card or Contactless Card. You can also travel via Hatton Cross but you can not enter or exit at this station for free.

••••Non TFL Buses••••
• Abellio Surrey Route 441
• Abellio Surrey Route 446
• Abellio Surrey Route 555

••••TFL Buses••••
• Abellio London Route 350
• Abellio London Route 490
• Metroline Route 90
• Metroline Route 105
• Metroline Route 140
• Metroline Route 482
• Metroline Route A10
• Metroline Route U3
• RATP London United Route 81
• RATP London United Route 111
• RATP London United Route 222
• RATP London United Route 285
• RATP London United Route 423
• RATP London United Route H98
• RATP London United Route N9

••••Other Buses••••
• You can also travel free on all of the various different car park buses that run around Heathrow Airport. There are around 15 to 20 different routes.

••••Other Transport••••
• Heathrow Pods

••••You Can Not Travel For Free On••••
• National Express Hotel Hoppa Route H1
• National Express Hotel Hoppa Route H3
• National Express Hotel Hoppa Route H4
• National Express Hotel Hoppa Route H6
• National Express Hotel Hoppa Route H7
• National Express Hotel Hoppa Route H53
• National Express Hotel Hoppa Route H54
• National Express Hotel Hoppa Route H55
• National Express Hotel Hoppa Route H56
• National Express Hotel Hoppa Route H57
• National Express Hotel Hoppa Route H57X
• National Express Hotel Hoppa Route H58
• Any Coach Services

Hope this helps.

The following routes are not included in the Heathrow Free Flow Scheme

• Metroline Route A10
• Metroline Route 90

This is due to the routes either not directly serving the airport (90) or exits the airport directly onto the M4 spur toward Uxbridge (A10) and beyond (724,730, 740 and A40)

First Berkshire have as of IIrc 24 Sept changed the numbering of the above routes, the 75/78 have merged into the 7/N7 (24hr) serving T2,3 & T5 during the day and at night serving alternately Hatton Cross-T4-T5 or T2,3-T5 then both head to Slough, this service is free within the bounds of the airport, however it no longer serves Bath Road Compass Centre going directly to Colnbrook Bypass from T5

Last edited:

matt_world2004

Established Member
The following routes are not included in the Heathrow Free Flow Scheme

• Metroline Route A10
• Metroline Route 90

This is due to the routes either not directly serving the airport (90) or exits the airport directly onto the M4 spur toward Uxbridge (A10) and beyond (724,730, 740 and A40)

First Berkshire have as of IIrc 24 Sept changed the numbering of the above routes, the 75/78 have merged into the 7/N7 (24hr) serving T2,3 & T5 during the day and at night serving alternately Hatton Cross-T4-T5 or T2,3-T5 then both head to Slough, this service is free within the bounds of the airport, however it no longer serves Bath Road Compass Centre going directly to Colnbrook Bypass from T5

The 90 is between harlington corner and hatton cross. I have had no problems not showing an oyster card on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.