• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelling from Victoria to Brighton 14th October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
I've been trying to book 2 Advance or Anytime tickets to travel on either the xx29 or xx59 Victoria - Brighton services on a Saturday in October and these times are not offered to me on the Southern or National Rail website, yet there are direct trains running. I know these are branded GatEX but even selecting "Anytime"; I am not given these times.

The only trains being offered to me are non-direct trains via Hove or Lewes. Isn't this illegal practice?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
It’s quite hard to answer your question meaningfully without knowing the date or time you believe there to be an issue. :D

JonathanH

Veteran Member
14 October, there are no xx29 or xx59 trains from London to Brighton. Instead they are running London to Lewes via Brighton at xx24 and xx54.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
Yes. That will explain it. The paths into Brighton are needed for the Lewes trains, and there should be no issue booking these from Victoria to Brighton.
This is what threw me. So they are running Victoria - Lewes (reverse) and thence to Brighton?

Sorry, I read the main copy and didn’t see that in the title.
No worries :)

AlbertBeale

Established Member
The original question referred to booking Advance or Anytime tickets - but if the latter, what's the relevance of booking ahead, or choosing a time? By definition, just get an Anytime ticket and it'll be good for any train on that line that day. (Though of course cheaper options exist for Anytime London-Brighton tickets than the "any train any route" standard ticket, unless it's necessary to leave specifically from Victoria and at a specific time; and even then there are workarounds, as much discussed in this forum before...)

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
The original question referred to booking Advance or Anytime tickets - but if the latter, what's the relevance of booking ahead, or choosing a time? By definition, just get an Anytime ticket and it'll be good for any train on that line that day. (Though of course cheaper options exist for Anytime London-Brighton tickets than the "any train any route" standard ticket, unless it's necessary to leave specifically from Victoria and at a specific time; and even then there are workarounds, as much discussed in this forum before...)
The relevance was to see if the website would allow me to pre-book an Anytime ticket because it wouldn't allow me to book an Advance on the xx59 or xx29 departures (which I now know aren't running). I wouldn't normally book a specific train out of Victoria (and I'm not convinced it would be enforced anyway) but we're planning an itinerary so this seemed (to me) to be a good idea (and keep the missus happy)

Haywain

Veteran Member
The relevance was to see if the website would allow me to pre-book an Anytime ticket because it wouldn't allow me to book an Advance on the xx59 or xx29 departures (which I now know aren't running). I wouldn't normally book a specific train out of Victoria (and I'm not convinced it would be enforced anyway) but we're planning an itinerary so this seemed (to me) to be a good idea (and keep the missus happy)
I'm guessing you mean a walk-up ticket, rather than Anytime - at the weekend there will be Off Peak and possibly even Super Off Peak tickets available at considerably lower cost and with exactly the same time restrictions as an Anytime.

Status
Not open for further replies.