• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelling on the Elizabeth Line from West to East

Status
Not open for further replies.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
At some time, I would like to travel on the Elizabeth Line from West (Reading) to East (Shenfield or Abbey Wood).

I know that there aren't any through trains at the moment - and won't be for some while - and I understand this. So, what are my best options, please? From the map, it looks as if I can get on at Reading and travel to Paddington, change there for Liverpool Street and then go to Shenfield or Abbey Wood - is this right? If I did travel to Shenfield first, would I then have to go back to Liverpool Street and change there for Abbey Wood, or can I change at Whitechapel?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
The current operation is as follows, with direct trains between:
  • Reading and Paddington (high level).
  • Heathrow Airport and Paddington (high level).
  • Paddington (new) and Abbey Wood, via Liverpool Street (new).
  • Liverpool Street (high level) and Shenfield, via Stratford and Ilford.

Hopefully this makes sense. At the moment Liverpool Street to Shenfield trains and Reading to Paddington trains follow the same line of route as they always have done under previous operators.

TP

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Thank you; that's roughly what I was thinking of.

I should also have asked about through tickets - are they available at the moment, or not until the full services are in place?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If I did travel to Shenfield first, would I then have to go back to Liverpool Street and change there for Abbey Wood, or can I change at Whitechapel?
Yes, going back from Shenfield to Liverpool St would be the only straightforward route to take. Reason being Whitechapel is not reachable using the Shenfield - Liverpool St trains as it’s not on their current surface route, they’re non-stop Stratford to Liverpool St. You could get from Stratford to Whitechapel on the existing ‘tube‘ but that would require two changes, Central Line to Mile End and changing onto District or H&C, which is all a bit of a faff…

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I should also have asked about through tickets - are they available at the moment, or not until the full services are in place?
Yes, you can buy a ticket from Reading to Shenfield same as you've always been able to. If you're doing a single trip then it's cheaper with a Contactless Payment Card (CPC) which is £17.00 off peak or £29.60 peak. If you have a railcard, then it's cheaper at peak times to buy a paper ticket (depending on your railcard as to whether you can use it in the morning peak). Return journeys it depends on times as to whether you're better using CPC.

You could get from Stratford to Whitechapel on the existing ‘tube‘ but that would require two changes, Central Line to Mile End and changing onto District or H&C, which is all a bit of a faff…
It's not a bad journey, because it's cross platform interchange from both Elizabeth line branded services to Central line at Stratford, and from Central line to District line at Mile End.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thank you both, it's something to consider for the future.
Partial through running (Reading/Heathrow-Abbey Wood; Shenfield-Paddington) is currently mooted to be starting in September, if that's of any help. That will allow a same-platform change at any of the core stations, between any of the routes.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Thanks; I doubt whether I will be able to visit London before then, anyway, so it will be helpful to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.