• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelling the London Underground

Status
Not open for further replies.
So,

A friend of mine has set the challenge of visiting as many LU stations as possible (arriving at and/or departing each by train) in a given time period (probably 8 hours), starting and ending at Euston (mainline).

As far as I can see, the key to this is:

• Changing lines as little as possible
  • taking lines that pass through maximum stations in minimum time
  • being willing to walk between stations where it is quicker to do so than taking the train

Does anyone have any knowledge of such a challenge being undertaken in the past, or any suggestions on routes?

Thanks,

Simon

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I think the Guinness world record for visiting all stations is somewhere like 19 hours and something so it can be done in a day.

Ivo

Established Member
We hold similar Challenges once every so often on here! We had a Challenge to cover every Zone 1 station in as short a time as possible last August, for instance. (It didn't work though because everyone ended up working together and using a pretty slow rotue [sorry MikeWh for criticising your route!].) Earlier this month we held something similar in Birmingham, where I actually led a team that had, among others, the holder of the LUL All Stations Challenge World Record (or whatever it's called!) in it. However, we came near the bottom... Also, o he7th of May we are having a similar Challenge in South London.

Essentially, change as little as possible and don't be afraid to use the bus where it's easier. Of note is Cockfosters to High Barnet, which are otherwise highly remote areas to get to but effectively gold mines for your total/time. Also, keep your fitness up. I found this out the hard way in the Birmingham challenge I mentioned when my team had to make an emergency diversion...!

If you're interested, there is a forum for people who undertake this kind of thing regularly. Some of their members are also regulars on here.

And lastly, Guinness currently accept applications for London and New York. They have been known to look at others, though.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The London tube challenge is now considerably easier because you no longer have to visit the East London Line stations. This means you no longer have to leave on the very first train of the day. However, it's pretty much a given that you need to start and finish at different stations, usually the ends of lines to the North West.

Oh, and Ivo, no offence taken. I seem to remember a certain effort to speed things up when we split made it even worse, didn't it? If I make it on May 7th I'm hoping local knowledge will count for something. If I don't make it then it means the rearranged football match (thanks Sky) proved too much of a pull.

The actual current record for visiting all 270 stations is 16h 44m 16s done on December 14th 2009 i might actually attend this May 7th South London Challenge myself.

Ivo

Established Member
The actual current record for visiting all 270 stations is 16h 44m 16s done on December 14th 2009 i might actually attend this May 7th South London Challenge myself.

Do join us! :D

Something for you, Andi; I hope to do a Zone 1 soon, with a provisional time of 2h38, from HSK to Vauxhall.

SteamontheMet

I hate to boast but Ive done the whole Tube, DLR and Overground Network, BUT its taken me THREE YEARS too do it (im pretty sure many people have done that) but would love to have ago at some of these challenges.

My latest challenge is to do all the Network Rail Areas / National Rail routes covered under the Oyster Card / London Travel zones.

I actually met the Guys and Girls during their challenge on the U1 bus between West Ruislip and Uxbridge (had a quick chat with them, Nice bunch they where. I actually pointed out to them that Ickenham was closer to WR but they were closer to UXB so just carried on)

Last edited:
I hate to boast but Ive done the whole Tube, DLR and Overground Network, BUT its taken me THREE YEARS too do it (im pretty sure many people have done that) but would love to have ago at some of these challenges.

My latest challenge is to do all the Network Rail Areas / National Rail routes covered under the Oyster Card / London Travel zones.

I actually met the Guys and Girls during their challenge on the U1 bus between West Ruislip and Uxbridge (had a quick chat with them, Nice bunch they where. I actually pointed out to them that Ickenham was closer to WR but they were closer to UXB so just carried on)

I presume ur must have met Geoff Marshall one of the most recognisable Tube Challengers it cant have been me i have only got the u1 once lucky and once because no trains from ickenham westbound.

tbtc

Veteran Member
What are the rules for the "official" version?

Must be on a service which has stopped at each station (so passing through on a NR train or a "fast" Metropolitan service won't count)?

Buses allowed in between? (but not taxis etc)

Any more?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I'm puzzled by the rules not including the Waterloo and City line - has it always been missed out?

Also, why the reference to 'SW Trains' - didn't the 'Drain' pass to LU pre pivatisation?

causton

Established Member
No, South West Trains used to run the W&C line until 1994 - using Class 482 trains (recognise them? It's the stock that's still used today, just BR needed a number class) and I presume that reference is now out of date - although by almost 20 years! Don't know what help it would be in the challenge anyway...

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
No, South West Trains used to run the W&C line until 1994 - using Class 482 trains (recognise them? It's the stock that's still used today, just BR needed a number class) and I presume that reference is now out of date - although by almost 20 years! Don't know what help it would be in the challenge anyway...

SWT?!

I don't think so ;)

Yes, Network South East ran the line until 1994. But as it only has two stations which are both on other lines there is no need to use it.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
'SW Trains' might have come from the little used pre-privatisation NSE 'shadow TOC' name - but it definitely isn't the current privatised TOC - LU took over the drain in '94, Stagecoach t/a SWT didn't take over the mainline franchise until Feb 96.

MCR247

Established Member
Yes, Network South East ran the line until 1994. But as it only has two stations which are both on other lines there is no need to use it.

But that isn't SWT now is it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.