• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travels on a Northern Voucher - 18/08/12

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Travels on a Northern Voucher
Saturday, 18th August 2012

I've had an unused Northern complimentary day ticket for almost a year, after an awful rail replacement bus experience last August. Realising the expiry date was only a week away, it was time to use the ticket and as I was house sitting in Retford I finally had the opportunity to use the high to low level link line. After this, I planned to continue onto Leeds and then over the S&C, round the Cumbrian Coast and then back to Leeds and onto Retford. This plan would have required the purchase of a single ticket from Doncaster to Retford, but this was only £6.40 with a railcard.

I'd got up at 0600 and let the cat back into the house, and gave him breakfast. After having a slice of toast and a coffee, I headed out the house at 06:40, and after a ten minute walk I was walking through the underpass at Retford to platform 2 for the 0703 service to Leeds. It was strange seeing a Northern unit in the ECML platforms, and as I arrived the route indicator on the signal was already illuminated - the last time I'd seen a Northern service here it was a Northern Spirit liveried 156 working the same service. This time it was 158849.

Northern: 158849 by Trentside Traveller, on Flickr

I've never really liked the Worksop to Sheffield section of this line, and found it fairly dull - at least this trip wasn't in a Pacer. We were delayed arriving into Sheffield, and eventually departed for Leeds around 10 minutes down. We actually made up quite a bit of time, and when we reached Wakefield Kirkgate we were only around 5 minutes late. I was impressed to see that work is well underway to refurbish Kirkgate, and I overheard some passengers sharing similar thoughts - though one commented that only staffing it would stop the problems there. Arrival into Leeds was 5 minutes late at 0854 and it was a quick walk over the bridge to platform 5C for the 0910 to Bradford Forster Square.

Despite living in Leeds for a year, I never used any of the railway lines to the west of the city - I wasn't such a big enthusiast then, and it didn't seem that important (something I now regret). The 0910 would be my first experience of a Northern electric unit and 333015 pulled in to take the honours, and while waiting for departure I tucked into some more breakfast of some small cocktail sausages that I'd found in the fridge at home. One thing that shocked me about the 333 was how loud the onboard announcements were - I wasn't expecting it to literally yell "THIS IS THE BRADFORD FORSTER SQUARE TRAIN!!!!".

My first 333 journey was uneventful, and an early arrival at Bradford allowed me to jump straight onto 333013 on the 0931 back to Shipley. Another brief journey, but I do like these units - they feel quite spacious inside and look in really good condition for Northern units. At Shipley, I managed to get myself lost and regretted not looking on National Rail at the layout before trying to interchange there - I ended up heading to Platform 4, thinking it was Platform 2, and then realised I couldn't find platform 2. Eventually I twigged about the triangular layout and made my way to the correct platform for the 1002 to Carlisle.

The 1002 arrived on time formed of 158850 - I wasn't sure how busy the service was going to be, but I shouldn't have worried as there were plenty of free seats on what was quite a miserable day. The conductor came through the train quickly and commented she'd had quite a few free vouchers that day. As we headed up to Skipton a few more people joined, and the scenery grew bleaker and more impressive - at Settle the trolley service joined us, and the conductor encouraged people to buy from it to support its continued operation. As we approached Ribblehead it became foggier and the various enthusiasts gathered suggested some specials were heading this way - various announcements were made about the noteable features of the line, including Dent (as the highest station in England). Beyond Blea Moor it was incredibly foggy which obscured much of the scenery - so I'll definitely have to return on a clear day. It was still an impressive line, however, and the trolley service was a great feature (lovely coffee for £2!).

Our arrival into Carlisle was early at 1210 and after visiting the filthy toilets (yet another dirty toilet operated by Virgin, similar experiences at Crewe) I headed over to the indicated platform for the 1248 service to Lancaster via the Cumbrian Coast. I got chatting to another enthusiast and after a few minutes glanced at the display which showed the train as cancelled. Great. This was my first cancellation whilst on a day out by train - and a quick search on my phone revealed the option of heading back over the S&C in a couple of hours or buying a single to Lancaster and resuming my plans from there. In the end I plumped for a £12.85 single to Lancaster and made my way to the platform for my first ride on an 11 coach Pendolino.

390130 was doing the honours on the 1248 to London Euston. I checked with the platform staff where the unreserved coaches were, and she confirmed that if I remained where I was then I'd be adjacent to coach E. This proved a good choice as the coach was virtually empty, the TM even commented that it was "chaos" in the rest of the train, while it was peaceful in coach E. I've not really covered much of the WCML so this was new line for me - very scenic and pleasant with some tilting goodness thrown in. Luckily I had a pick of seats so got one with a window and sat back to enjoy the journey.

Arrival into Lancaster was spot on at 1337 - and it was a cross platform change to wait for the 1348 to Leeds. The train turned out to be 144019 - a 3-car example. The 144s have evaded me all year, and I'd only had one 2-car a couple of days previously. This journey seemed quite slow and bumpy on the Pacer but while were were still in Lancaster and Carnforth I planned an alternative end to the day which would finish most of the Triangle and see me return via Sheffield instead of Doncaster. The journey over the Lancaster to Hellifield line was pleasant, despite the bouncy 144 but after Hellifield a noisy hen party joined and I was quite pleased when we arrived at Shipley.

My next train was the 1553 to Ilkley formed of 333005 - luckily with quieter announcements (though only just), another quiet journey and we arrived on time. I had the choice of heading back to Shipley on the same unit or attempting to tick off another 333 on the 1640 to Leeds, I decided on the latter. After waiting in the (much improved) sunshine I saw 144015 hove into view - luckily a 'new' one for me, but no more 333s today. Some passengers commented on the old train - and the lack of loud announcements. The guard on this one didn't seem so sure about my ticket but eventually just nodded and moved on - I doubt these are seen as often on the Triangle as they are on the S&C.

After arriving into Leeds I made my way over to platform 17B for the 1737 to Sheffield. This was formed of 3-car 158755 - and not seeing these often I headed for the middle car when the doors were finally released just before departure. Another uneventful journey into Sheffield, with no need to change platforms for my short connection onto the 1845 to Lincoln Central. This turned up the first 142 of the day in the shape of 142036 - an ex-FNW bench seated unit, which seemed to provide useful capacity on this busy service. Plenty of people seemed to be returning from Meadowhall - and were hogging seats with shopping bags, though most moved them once the guard requested them to do so.

Our arrival into Retford was at 1924, and after a brisk walk home I had a curry in the microwave and a cup of tea in my hand. One thing I realised that due to the disruption at Carlisle I hadn't managed to buy a drink there - glad I hadn't taken the route round the coast as I'd have been even more thirsty. Still, it was a great day out - even with the cancellation, my altered plans were probably more entertaining than the slow journey round the Cumbrian coast.

Total mileage for the day was 430mi 30ch.

Just to update some statistics for the year, my total mileage now stands at 7458mi 63ch and my highest mileage units are the 158s with 1179mi 53ch and the lowest (and hopefully remaining so) are the 139s with 1mi 44ch. My highest mileage TOC is EMT with 3057mi 32ch (or 3 days worth of travel), while East Coast take the award for total delay minutes standing at 59.

More reports will hopefully follow soon - though I have nothing planned. I actually start work next week, but this will hopefully be providing me with additional funds, though all can't be spent on days out by rail (though my job may have some perks in this respect) :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanD

Established Member
At Shipley, I managed to get myself lost and regretted not looking on National Rail at the layout before trying to interchange there - I ended up heading to Platform 4, thinking it was Platform 2, and then realised I couldn't find platform 2. Eventually I twigged about the triangular layout and made my way to the correct platform for the 1002 to Carlisle.

Don't think looking at NRE would have helped much. They seem to have difficulty representing the triangular layout.

Status
Not open for further replies.