• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trawscymru Service News

markymark2000

On Moderation
The T1C has an issue from its Terminus/Starting Point in Cardiff. Last Sunday, the driver had to go around the corner from the Penarth Road stop as he would have blocked off all the traffic! He said they will update it after he reports it but in typical fashion, no updates on the Trawscymru website!
It's been bad since the taxi rank moved to Penarth Road. Not very good but the insistence on bus/rail interchange here trumps everything.

Hopefully things will ease in the city when the bus station opens and then there may be more space on the surrounding roads.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

markymark2000

On Moderation
The T6 Timetable is changing shortly soon. https://www.traveline.cymru/disruptions/2197/

Hit the timetable link first one for Adventure Travel. That is from the 4th September, but does not state an operator change - quick glance leaves Swansea 5 mins earlier for first 3 on a Sunday.

Surely it should be announced what the new tenders are for the 5 mentioned above?
Most trips on the T6 are amended. Mon-Fri are amended mostly by a few minutes. Earlier first buses to/from Swansea by an hour. Last bus off Swansea is 10 minutes earlier.
Sundays have an extra 2 trips each way making the first journeys 2 hours earlier and last journeys 2 hours later. Quite big changes and possibly positive changes for some passengers, not sure how many people travel between Ystradgynlais and Brecon at 8am on a Sunday unless this is an Adventure Travel commercial 'placement' trip to save on dead mileage.

Bwsbro

I thought Adventure Travel were giving up on the T6? Unless they had a change of heart? I could be wrong of course!
They just deregistered the service for the end of the contract, a new registration will be made for the service as the service is fully funded by TFW instead of going through the councils

WelshBuses93

COMING SOON...
Lloyds Coaches are pleased to announce that they have been successful in bidding for the new contracts for TrawsCymru services T2 and T3
This includes an investment in 11 brand new single deck buses in December 2023 for routes T2, T3 and T12.
New improved timetables for routes T2 and T3 will be in operation from Monday 5th November 2023 - these are being finalised with Transport for Wales at the moment and will be published in the next few weeks.
Lloyds Coaches are proud to be able to continue serving the communities of North and Mid Wales and thank you for your continued support.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
11 new single deckers, will these be electric I wonder? With the Welsh Government having some fairly ambitious targets for an entirely zero-emission bus fleet it seems a bit late in the day to be ordering more diesel buses. Also, does this mean the T3 no longer justifies the double deckers that were bought for it a while ago or will the new buses operate alongside the existing double-decks?

DaveHarries

Established Member
11 new single deckers, will these be electric I wonder? With the Welsh Government having some fairly ambitious targets for an entirely zero-emission bus fleet it seems a bit late in the day to be ordering more diesel buses. Also, does this mean the T3 no longer justifies the double deckers that were bought for it a while ago or will the new buses operate alongside the existing double-decks?
I shared that FB post to a bus group with a query about the new vehicles. 11x MCV Evora was one reply I got.

Dave

krus_aragon

Established Member
I shared that FB post to a bus group with a query about the new vehicles. 11x MCV Evora was one reply I got.

Dave
I assume given that Wikipedia (and its cited articles) don't mention anything eco-electric, that it's a regular diesel bus.

I'm tickled by the double-decker version I found on Wikipedia, called an EvoSeti. (In Northern Welsh, "efo seti" literally means with seats, and a double decker's certainly got plenty of those!

Transport for Wales have issued a press release, outlining some of the forthcoming changes to the Traws Cymru network in a little more detail. Links to the full articles are at the end of this post, but here is a summary:

T1C: Awarded to Mid-Wales Travel. No changes to times, but changes to fare structure from November.

T2: Awarded to Lloyd's Coaches and integrated with the X28 "to provide an hourly service throughout the day and connecting into the T1 and T1C service in both northerly and southerly directions.”

T3: Awarded to Lloyd's Coaches, with what appears to be a more direct route and timetable. A new route T3C will connect villages (including Llanuwchllyn) to Corwen.

T6: Awarded to Adventure Travel, with free travel available until September whilst the registration process is completed.

T10: Awarded to K&P Coaches. Changes to fares and timetables in November, with an hourly service introduced between Bangor and Betws-y-coed on Weekends and School Holidays from March 2024.

Newyddion llawn: https://newyddion.trc.cymru/newyddion/dyfarnu-contractau-newydd-trawscymru

Full press release: https://news.tfw.wales/news/new-trawscymru-contracts-awarded

TheSel

T3: Awarded to Lloyd's Coaches, with what appears to be a more direct route and timetable. A new route T3C will connect villages (including Llanuwchllyn) to Corwen.
So I'm guessing the T3 will operated direct via Druid and Llanfor, along the A494, and the T3C will connect at either Corwen or Bala - but presumably not both, otherwise there'd be no timesaving?

Crosville used to do this with the D93 (via Druid & Llanfor) and the D94 (via Llandderfel, Llandrillo and Cynwyd) - but used to connect at both ends by having a ten minute pause in Bala (by what was then Yr Baddel Aur cafe) on which ever was the through working for a refreshment break.

Last edited:
So I'm guessing the T3 will operated direct via Druid and Llanfor, along the A494, and the T3C will connect at either Corwen or Bala - but presumably not both, otherwise there'd be no timesaving?

Crosville used to do this with the D93 (via Druid & Llanfor) and the D94 (via Llandderfel, Llandrillo and Cynwyd) - but used to connect at both ends by having a ten minute pause in Bala (by what was then Yr Baddel Aur cafe) for a refreshment break.
I was wondering how this might work. Personally, I'd hope the T3C would connect with the T3 at (or close to) either end of the route. Otherwise, someone wanting to travel between one of the Western villages and Dolgellau would have to change at Corwen, presumably extending journeys considerably.

Suppose time will tell though.

markymark2000

On Moderation
The T3C is meant to be connecting at Corwen with late evening services being a T3C throughout. The timetable was a complete mess when it went out to tender.

Sorry, can't send them in a table format. For those using screen readers, the attached photos are of the T3/T3C timetable that went out to tender.

In short, reduced at the Wrexham end, enhanced at the Barmouth end. T3C only providing connections at Corwen.

In another bit of Traws Cymru news, once again, they are trying to take over by duplicating over COMMERCIAL routes as the T12 will divert via Gobowen and St Martin's (over Arriva 2 and 53). I put it to everyone that Welsh Taxpayers are paying significant sums of money in a transport network which is ultimately there to kill off the commercial bus network so that they can subsequently build a case for franchising. They haven't the money to fully take over so kill off demand for local routes with the competing TrawsCymru and then suddenly 'save' the routes, funding the routes themselves and then using that to boost the public control arguement. There is no other reason for diverting via Gobowen and St Martin's!
T12 CHANGES - MONDAY 4TH SEPTEMBER

Minor timetable changes - please check carefully

Will now serve Gobowen railway station

Will now serve St Martin's

‍ The 0731 Machynlleth to Newtown High School bus will be extended to Newtown Bus Station arriving at 0840

New earlier journey from Oswestry Park Gates at 0628 to the Orthopaedic Hospital arriving at 0642

New earlier journey from the Orthopaedic Hospital at 0645 to Oswestry, Welshpool, Newtown and Machynlleth

lloydscoaches.com/t12from3rdsept2023
lloydscoaches.com/t12o3medi2023

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230831-173945.png
    Screenshot_20230831-173945.png
    446.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot_20230831-174100.png
    Screenshot_20230831-174100.png
    316.4 KB · Views: 72

Dai Corner

Established Member
In another bit of Traws Cymru news, once again, they are trying to take over by duplicating over COMMERCIAL routes as the T12 will divert via Gobowen and St Martin's (over Arriva 2 and 53). I put it to everyone that Welsh Taxpayers are paying significant sums of money in a transport network which is ultimately there to kill off the commercial bus network so that they can subsequently build a case for franchising. They haven't the money to fully take over so kill off demand for local routes with the competing TrawsCymru and then suddenly 'save' the routes, funding the routes themselves and then using that to boost the public control arguement. There is no other reason for diverting via Gobowen and St Martin's!
I thought tendered services weren't allowed to compete with commercial ones?

That said, if I was the operator of a marginal commercial route I might well prefer the guaranteed revenue of a taxpayer-backed contract.

markymark2000

On Moderation
I thought tendered services weren't allowed to compete with commercial ones?

That said, if I was the operator of a marginal commercial route I might well prefer the guaranteed revenue of a taxpayer-backed contract.
The rules seem kind of irrelevant and don't apply to Traws Cymru. Other areas have been touched on before so I won't go into it unless the conversation goes that way. With the T12 though, this diversions brings absolutely zero to the route other than extraction from a commercial route.

Simon75

On Moderation
The T3C is meant to be connecting at Corwen with late evening services being a T3C throughout. The timetable was a complete mess when it went out to tender.

Sorry, can't send them in a table format. For those using screen readers, the attached photos are of the T3/T3C timetable that went out to tender.

In short, reduced at the Wrexham end, enhanced at the Barmouth end. T3C only providing connections at Corwen.

A few buses I think were outstationed in Wrexham, but with journeys commencing/ending in Corwen, has an outstation opened there?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Please see post #1 in this thread:

Please note that this thread is for posting general news and updates about Trawscymru services and routes only. Please do not use this as a vehicle for grievances about the Welsh Government or any other political issues.

Fletcj10

Them tenders haven't gone out yet
Would the new tenders include new buses? Don't get me wrong, the T5 & T11 Tempos are great but they are 17 years old and are really showing their age. When would these next tenders be released?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dai Corner

Established Member
Would the new tender's include new buses? as don't get me wrong the T5 & T11 Tempo's are great but they are like 17 years old and are really showing there age, i mean when would these next tenders be released?
As the press release linked above says

New EV buses are being procured for the whole TrawsCymru network, however there is a long lead time to delivery and we will therefore be replacing some of the older fleet with new Euro 6 diesel buses for the short term as we look to decarbonise the network and confirm charging depot locations.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Interesting that the latest press release says new electric buses for the whole network; I thought I read somewhere that the T5 was going to have hydrogen buses instead.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Bit of news is that the T22 Blaenau Ffestiniog - Porthmadog - Caernarfon service will be operated by Llew Jones from the new depot in Porthmadog (Depot is pushing it a bit but anyway).

Official source is this job advert
Llew Jones Limited
Porthmadog
Permanent, Full Time
Anticipated earnings in region of £30,000 pa +sign on bonus of £500
Electric Vehicle Bus Service PCV Driver (T22 service based in Porthmadog)

We have an excellent opportunity to be at the forefront of Wales Green Agenda, driving all new Electric Vehicles on routes between Porthmadog, Caernarfon and Blaenau Ffestiniog. You’ll be based at the new Porthmadog depot joining a brand-new team of drivers, with oversight by and support from the Llew Jones main depot in Llanrwst.
I am not quoting the whole advert.

2 of the buses have been spotted so far, these being CE72YRN and CE72YRP (Source: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NorthWalesBuses/posts/7667428586606454/ Not sure if this works as it's in a Facebook group)

Llandudno

Established Member
Bit of news is that the T22 Blaenau Ffestiniog - Porthmadog - Caernarfon service will be operated by Llew Jones from the new depot in Porthmadog (Depot is pushing it a bit but anyway).

Official source is this job advert

I am not quoting the whole advert.

2 of the buses have been spotted so far, these being CE72YRN and CE72YRP (Source: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NorthWalesBuses/posts/7667428586606454/ Not sure if this works as it's in a Facebook group)
I wonder if the T22 timetable has been finalised yet?

Presumably the buses will be timed to meet Conwy Valley trains at Blaenau Ffestiniog to offer relatively seamless travel between Llandudno and Porthmadog with through ticketing…..? LOL!!!!

WAB

I wonder if the T22 timetable has been finalised yet?

Presumably the buses will be timed to meet Conwy Valley trains at Blaenau Ffestiniog to offer relatively seamless travel between Llandudno and Porthmadog with through ticketing…..? LOL!!!!
The indicative timetable was issued here, but that was on the basis of the route being operated out of Blaenau Ffestiniog. Some very tight, or very long connections indicated at the bottom of the columns.

@markymark2000 Does this supplement or replace the 3B?