• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trick Questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Death

Established Member
Still not right I'm afraid :(
Didn't think it was, but no harm in thwacking it at least once with my Sword, eh? <D

I'll hazard a guess at yours... baby whales? Or whale eggs.
Nay and definitely nay, I'm afraid. :)
(For starters, all Whales are - IIRC - Mammals, meaning that they come out as ready made animals, and not as eggs! :lol:)

As a minor hint: As far as trick questions go, this one really is a trick. Some would consider it more of a joke than a riddle, though... ;)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
At the moment he fell off the cliff; was he on the ground at the top of the cliff?

Death

Established Member
Where was the man when he fell off the cliff?
Hang on a sec...I just had a flash-thought on the answer to this one, and I'm going to pop it in before it slips my mind... 8)

A: The man was at the wheel of his car...Either because he was attempting suicide, or had become the victim of a most untimely brake failure! :shock::D<D

Is that correct, or am I on the wrong path again? <D
>> Death <<

me123

Established Member
Death, may I remind you of some very basic biology: all animals have eggs, but only certain animals expel their eggs whilst some, including mammals, produce "babies".

On second thoughts, perhaps I should have said zygote...

For Mojo and Death, both of those answers were before he fell off the cliff ;) Although, Death, of he was in a car that would actually be correct. :)

Bayum

Established Member
Death, may I remind you of some very basic biology: all animals have eggs, but only certain animals expel their eggs whilst some, including mammals, produce "babies".

On second thoughts, perhaps I should have said zygote...

For Mojo and Death, both of those answers were before he fell off the cliff ;) Although, Death, of he was in a car that would actually be correct. :)

And even there your very basic Biology is wrong!!

Only the females of the species have eggs!!

Bayum

Established Member
Apart from sea horses! Their males lay the eggs.

[My chance to be clever]

Actually...

In the breeding process, the Female lays the eggs into the males pouch, where they become fertilised, and then embed themselves waiting for them to develop.

Sorry Gizzy!!

furryfeet

probably a bit longer, since a 140cm saw will be just that bit heavier than an 80cm one.

also depends on the two trees being the same in terms of age and condition of the wood - if one tree had more knots in it, then that would be harder to cut.

alternatively one could just ram an 158 into it and see how long that takes. Use one of those that EMT have just wasted a load of money "refurbishing", instead of going out and procuring some decent second hand rolling stock held in store.

Death

Established Member
Hail All! <D
Q: How do ye get two Whales in a Mini? ;)
A: I believe that you would drive down the M4/over the Severn Bridge ;)
Yup...Ye obviously already knew that one before I asked it! :lol:8)
(For anyone who doesn't get it, try thinking about how the question sounds when spoken...It can also be heard as "How do ye get to Wales in a Mini?" :D)

I was going to try and transpose the question to "How do ye get two Whales inside an HST?" (A: Drive through the Severn Tunnel. 8)) but the obvious problem there is the fact that most Mk. III carriages could easily accommodate 1-3 Whales apiece! :shock::roll::lol:

probably a bit longer, since a 140cm saw will be just that bit heavier than an 80cm one.
The answer that I gave above was pretty much No difference in time whatsoever, as the length of the saw is more or less irrelevant...But then that's assuming that length(saw) > diameter(tree). :)
also depends on the two trees being the same in terms of age and condition of the wood - if one tree had more knots in it, then that would be harder to cut.
Now you're just being pedantic! :lol::D:razz:
Alternatively one could just ram an 158 into it and see how long that takes. Use one of those that EMT have just wasted a load of money "refurbishing", instead of going out and procuring some decent second hand rolling stock held in store.
I suppose that's another valid solution, although I would suggest using a 170 or 458 myself...Pointless refurb or no, ye can't really justify wasting a decent DMU (IMO) like a Sprinter in that way! :)
Although I would also be wondering what kind of careless Navvies would run a length of line into the base of a tree, as opposed to terminating the line using a normal set of buffers! :lol::)

Farewell... <D
>> Death <<

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Can I be really picky for a minute? I just can't agree with people using 'an' before 'HST'. It's not correct, as that would read in full words as 'an High Speed Train'. Since 'High' does not begin with a vowel, it would be correct to just use 'a' instead of 'an'. Sorry to be fussy but it drives me nuts.

Extremely picky rant over.

On a much happier note, well done on that Wales one, I hadn't sounded the question out in my head. As for MK3s being able to fit multiple whales within their interior, that might be true but you've got to get them through the door first! :p

Mintona

Established Member
No. It's "an HST" or "a High Speed Train". Try saying "a HST" and you will realise why it's wrong. It's because if you were spelling out the "H" it would be spelt "aitch" which does begin with a vowel, so "an HST" is correct.

Still got no idea where the man was when he fell off the cliff, other than "mid-air".

Techniquest

Veteran Member
No. It's "an HST" or "a High Speed Train". Try saying "a HST" and you will realise why it's wrong. It's because if you were spelling out the "H" it would be spelt "aitch" which does begin with a vowel, so "an HST" is correct.

Doesn't sound right to me, and I don't miss out the 'H', if I did then it would make sense.

"A HST" still sounds right to me, after much sounding it out.

Mintona

Established Member
Doesn't sound right to me, and I don't miss out the 'H', if I did then it would make sense.

"A HST" still sounds right to me, after much sounding it out.

Depends if you (correctly) say "aitch" or (incorrectly) say "haitch".

Spaceflower

Established Member
Here ya go boys,....enjoy!

1.A black dog stands in the middle of an intersection in a town painted black. None of the street lights are working due to a power failure caused by a local storm. A car with two broken headlights drives towards the dog but turns in time to avoid hitting him. How could the driver have seen the dog in time?

2.Mike Peters was surprised to see his window slide open and was positively shocked when he saw two strangers climb inside. What transpired next could only be described as a despicable act of thievery. Mike watched with rapt fascination as the two thieves systematically began to remove the priceless Persian carpets, artwork, and jewelry. Having stripped the room, the thieves climbed back out the window. Incredibly, Mike went back to what he had been doing before the thieves arrived and soon he'd forgotten about the entire incident. Why wouldn't Mike, who was in perfect health, have tried to stop the thieves or at the very least call the police after they had left?

3.Professor Herring just returned from a six month vacation in the Middle East. In one of the lectures she gave, she said the highlight of the trip was seeing many of the ancient artifacts first hand. She made mention of having seen several mummies and tapestries dating as far back as 200 B.C. She claimed to have seen coins dated 46 B.C., and weapons made of metal from approximately 500 B.C. What is wrong with Professor Herring's claim?

4.Picture a bridge four kilometers long and strong enough to hold ten thousand kilograms, but no more. A loaded transport truck weighing exactly ten thousand kilograms drives onto the bridge. At the halfway point, a sparrow weighing 30 grams lands on the truck, yet the bridge doesn't collapse. How could this be?

5.Six glasses are in a row. The first three are filled with joice, and the last three are empty. By moving only one glass, can you arrange them so that the full and the empty glasses alternate?

6.If a daddy bull weighs 1,200 pounds and eats twelve bales of hay each day, and a baby bull, who weighs 300 pounds eats three bales of hay each day, how much hay then should a mommy bull eat if she weighs 800 pounds?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mintona

Established Member
Here ya go boys,....enjoy!

1.A black dog stands in the middle of an intersection in a town painted black. None of the street lights are working due to a power failure caused by a local storm. A car with two broken headlights drives towards the dog but turns in time to avoid hitting him. How could the driver have seen the dog in time?

It was in the middle of the day.

2.Mike Peters was surprised to see his window slide open and was positively shocked when he saw two strangers climb inside. What transpired next could only be described as a despicable act of thievery. Mike watched with rapt fascination as the two thieves systematically began to remove the priceless Persian carpets, artwork, and jewelry. Having stripped the room, the thieves climbed back out the window. Incredibly, Mike went back to what he had been doing before the thieves arrived and soon he'd forgotten about the entire incident. Why wouldn't Mike, who was in perfect health, have tried to stop the thieves or at the very least call the police after they had left?

Mike isn't human?

3.Professor Herring just returned from a six month vacation in the Middle East. In one of the lectures she gave, she said the highlight of the trip was seeing many of the ancient artifacts first hand. She made mention of having seen several mummies and tapestries dating as far back as 200 B.C. She claimed to have seen coins dated 46 B.C., and weapons made of metal from approximately 500 B.C. What is wrong with Professor Herring's claim?

Nobody knew before Christ that it was before Christ, if you know what I mean.

4.Picture a bridge four kilometers long and strong enough to hold ten thousand kilograms, but no more. A loaded transport truck weighing exactly ten thousand kilograms drives onto the bridge. At the halfway point, a sparrow weighing 30 grams lands on the truck, yet the bridge doesn't collapse. How could this be?

Don't know that one

5.Six glasses are in a row. The first three are filled with joice, and the last three are empty. By moving only one glass, can you arrange them so that the full and the empty glasses alternate?

Again, not a clue

6.If a daddy bull weighs 1,200 pounds and eats twelve bales of hay each day, and a baby bull, who weighs 300 pounds eats three bales of hay each day, how much hay then should a mommy bull eat if she weighs 800 pounds?

Don't know that either

laseandre

Established Member
1: It was the middle of the day.

2: Mike is a microphone.

3: No-one knew it was before Christ before Christ.

4: The truck is filled with helium.

5: You take the second full glass, and fill the second empty glass from it.

6: She can't as bulls aren't female.

Attachments

• glassexp.jpg
    glassexp.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 24

Death

Established Member
Hail All! <D
Here's my list of answers for William's questions... 8)
  1. This occurred during daylight hours. (Already answered, confirmed for truth.)
  2. The event described was fictitious; Mike was watching a program on television. (His house could possibly have been used as the set? :))
  3. CE/BCE (AD/BC) dating works from the supposed birth of Christ...Therefore, no item from before that time could bear such a date. (Already answered, confirmed for truth.)
  4. The truck's engine would have consumed at least 100g of fuel before reaching that point, therefore truck+sparrow would have a total weight of 9t, 999.93Kg or less. :)
  5. Pour the contents of the second glass into the fifth, effectively moving a full glass from position two to five. (Already answered, confirmed for truth.)
  6. There's no such thing as a transsexual bull. :lol::D (Already answered, confirmed for truth.)
Farewell... <D
>> Death <<

Last edited:

me123

Established Member
2. Mike was a cat; I say this because a dog would bark and make a commotion but the cat would sit and watch :lol: or perhaps another animal like a rabbit, hamster and so on...

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....2: Mike is a microphone....

But microphones can't see, also, naming inatimate objects is plain weird.

....The event described was fictitious; Mike was watching a program on television. (His house could possibly have been used as the set? :))....

2. Mike was a cat; I say this because a dog would bark and make a commotion but the cat would sit and watch :lol: or perhaps another animal like a rabbit, hamster and so on...

I thought both these are plausible, indeed they were my first thoughts (possibly a fish!), but I think Mike is a baby.

Spaceflower

Established Member
1. it was the middle of the day. (well done mintona)
2. mike is a 6 week old baby. (well done hairyhandedfool)
3. no-one knew b.c. was b.c. (if you know what i mean). (well done mintona)
4. the truck would have burned off at least 30g of fuel by that point. (well done death)
5. take the second glass, pour the contents into the fifth glass. (well done lasaundre)
6. no such thing as a female bull :P. (well done lasaundre)

Death

Established Member
Hail All! <D
Here's a rather fiendish one that came to my mind earlier today... :)

Q: Myself and fifteen friends are attending a lecture at a university in Sheffield. The lecture itself is being held on the 18th floor of the building, and - Being already exhausted after walking up from 'Interchange - We decide to take the lift, especially as the stairs are closed for Asbestos removal. However, we find that the lift itself is unusually small, and only two of us can fit inside at once.

So myself and one of my friends jump in first, and we arrive fairly swiftly at the 18th floor. However, the rest of the group then emerge quickly from the lift in pairs, and within a minute all sixteen of us are assembled and ready to enter the lecture theatre.

So - Bearing in mind that there is only the one ancient lift in the building - What might have happened, and how did we all manage to reach the 18th floor so quickly if we could only fit two in at once?
:)8);)

Farewell... <D
>> Death <<

me123

Established Member
It's just that that one sounds like a physical impossibility...

Death

Established Member
Nay it isn't... ;)
The crux of this one is to do with the fact that it's a certain type of lift...One that doesn't exactly work in the same way as the one in your office. :shock:8)

BIG hint: Try reciting the Lord's Prayer in Latin... ;)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Could it be that on the first attempt there was only enough room for two of you in the lift because it was already full (maybe with other people or a wheelchair) whereas when the lift returned to the ground floor your 14 friends were at the front of the queue so they all managed to get in together?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've got it! Its a Paternoster lift! :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.