• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trip.com Digital Railcards

Joe Paxton

Established Member
As per this post on the 'hotukdeals' website, Trip.com have a special offer (expiring tonight - 16 July) of £18.60 for a one year Railcard.

It is a Digital Railcard, and has to be shown via the Trip.com mobile app (in the same way as a Railcard bought through the Trainline or from TrainPal).

Supposedly one needs to also buy a train ticket via Trip.com in order to activate the Railcard, but some comments indicate that this isn't actually necessary.

Comments on the deal and also elsewhere suggest that the Trip.com app is a bit flakey and doesn't necessarily show the Railcard if there is no data connection, which is of course daft if so. I think I've read similar about Railcards on the TrainPal app - and TrainPal is a Trip.com brand, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Trip.com and Trainpal apps are very similar.

However I think I could live with this.

The other thing that comes to mind if using Trip.com is the potential for data harvesting - Trip.com has its HQ in Singapore, though is owned by the Trip.com Group - a Chinese conglomerate. I don't think I'm of that much interest to the Chinese Ministry of State Security, but the broader issue of a weaker data protection culture on the other side of the world does come to mind.

Does anyone here have an experience of Railcards through the Trip.com app? Perhaps I'm volunteering myself to be the crash-test dummy!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I've had enough bad experiences with the "official" (RDG owned) Railcard app to put me off using any sort of app-based Railcard.

The fact that Trip.com is based in Singapore and purports that Singaporean law and jurisdiction applies to the contract is also a red flag to me - what practical recourse would you have if their app broke and they didn't fix it, or it caused you to get a Penalty Fare or worse?

Personally speaking, I'll stick to plastic Railcards until the industry grows up and starts offering e-ticket equivalent Railcards. Unfortunately, that the industry insists on only issuing 26-30 Railcards as Digital Railcards, so people who are only eligible for this Railcard are left with an invidious choice.

Adam Williams

Established Member
Comments on the deal and also elsewhere suggest that the Trip.com app is a bit flakey and doesn't necessarily show the Railcard if there is no data connection, which is of course daft if so
I'm not going to comment on CTrip/TrainPal/Trip.com's implementation, but it's worth noting that being able to show the Railcard offline is a specific accreditation requirement (test 12.25). If it's not behaving as required, then it doesn't seem unreasonable to contact them, give them an opportunity to fix it and flag up the problem to Rail Delivery Group if there is no interest in resolving the issue.

_toommm_

Established Member
I'm not going to comment on CTrip/TrainPal/Trip.com's implementation, but it's worth noting that being able to show the Railcard offline is a specific accreditation requirement (test 12.25). If it's not behaving as required, then it doesn't seem unreasonable to contact them, give them an opportunity to fix it and flag up the problem to Rail Delivery Group if there is no interest in resolving the issue.

Trainline will need reporting then, as it keeps logging me out every day. Not sure if it’s the iOS17 beta that’s causing it, or an update to the app.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
I've had enough bad experiences with the "official" (RDG owned) Railcard app to put me off using any sort of app-based Railcard.
[...]

I haven't had a Digital Railcard using the 'official' RDG app but I've had one with the Trainline for the past year and had no problems with it (apart from remembering where to fund the Railcard in the app - it's under "account"). I wonder if this is where the Trainline's superior IT infrastructure delivers a better result.

Trainline will need reporting then, as it keeps logging me out every day. Not sure if it’s the iOS17 beta that’s causing it, or an update to the app.

Your comment is the first I've come across that flags up a problem with Digital Railcards from the Trainline. Maybe it's the beta that's the issue.

I'm no cheerleader for the Trainline whatsoever, but I do wonder if they might be the best choice for a reliable Digital Railcard.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm no cheerleader for the Trainline whatsoever, but I do wonder if they might be the best choice for a reliable Digital Railcard.

I would say so, I won't touch the RDG ones with a bargepole until they totally change the architecture, while I'd be less happy with one stuck in a less well known app. Plastic for me for now, but were I 26-30 I would be getting a Trainline one.

Trainline isn't that bad if you just use it for buying walk ups on the day, anyway (and so don't pay the fees). It has some nice features, e.g. showing Realtime Trains style predicted platforms without needing to go on there, the feature to add to Apple wallet is slicker than the white label sites, and it does basic splits which do come in handy on some routes to save you being bothered to do it manually or paying a fee to Trainsplit for them.

planetf1

I bought a discounted railcard with trainpal.

I just tried the iOS app. First I turned the phone into airplane mode.
Launched the trainpal app, and was able to show the railcard just fine

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Both Trainpal and Trip.com apps are terrible in respect of showing tickets and railcards.

Railcards can seemingly only be shown if you have a good 4G connection. Anything less or no signal at all and they just sit there with the "loading" logo spinning round and round until such time as signal is acquired again. Most unhelpful on routes with poor signal for a long distances.

In most cases the above also applies to tickets in the apps too.

ScotTrains

I recently bought a 26-30 Digital railcard from Trip during their £12 flash sales. Their app isn't great and It can be difficult to find the railcard unless you know where to look. A good signal is required too. You may also then have to load up digital tickets on possibly a different app, depending on where you bought them.

It is possible to take a screenshot of the railcard but I don't know if that will be accepted; the Trip railcard has a colour changing BR logo that obviously doesn't change on just a screenshot!

I much prefer to have a physical railcard and don't see why they can't offer both, even at the same time. It would save time and stress having a physical railcard out on the table ready for inspection, whilst knowing you have access to it digitally if you happen to forget to bring it.

It's the same with tickets and timetables. I far prefer to have physical paper ones even though I'm probably the target market for all this digital stuff!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I recently bought a 26-30 Digital railcard from Trip during their £12 flash sales. Their app isn't great and It can be difficult to find the railcard unless you know where to look. A good signal is required too. You may also then have to load up digital tickets on possibly a different app, depending on where you bought them.

It is possible to take a screenshot of the railcard but I don't know if that will be accepted; the Trip railcard has a colour changing BR logo that obviously doesn't change on just a screenshot!

I much prefer to have a physical railcard and don't see why they can't offer both, even at the same time. It would save time and stress having a physical railcard out on the table ready for inspection, whilst knowing you have access to it digitally if you happen to forget to bring it.

It's the same with tickets and timetables. I far prefer to have physical paper ones even though I'm probably the target market for all this digital stuff!

You can still purchase a plastic Railcard from the official site or a paper one from a booking office (while they remain in existence). It's understandable that only digital ones tend to be on offer (though this isn't always the case) because the cost of delivery is lower. The "standard" £30 is still superb value, that's how I get mine because I don't trust the RDG app and other apps aren't as convenient unless you use them to buy your tickets. (I will happily switch to digital if/when they eventually move to e-ticket style delivery so I can just add it to Apple Wallet).

ScotTrains

I think when a railcard is available in plastic it is a choice of either plastic or digital, but not both.
Surely having both would be the best solution, even if they charged a small extra fee. It works fine for banks - cards, app, digital wallet etc showing the same details from the same account but in different forms. so why not railcards?

sor

I've written before about how I hated the "digital" experience with the official railcard app, for a 26-30 where I had no choice. One time it disappeared from the app at exactly the time the RPI wanted to see it. I actually had the "trial" version and put "offer physical railcard" into every monthly survey but I guess not enough people did to listen.

+1 for "e railcards" that can be printed and duplicated just like e-tickets can be. It shouldn't be beyond the capability of the railway to have a means to look it up (and they do, because a guard once showed me what it said about my 26-30's barcode - I was curious as they were the the only guard who ever scanned it). Or at least have a means to load it onto a reusable ITSO card or something.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think when a railcard is available in plastic it is a choice of either plastic or digital, but not both.
Surely having both would be the best solution, even if they charged a small extra fee. It works fine for banks - cards, app, digital wallet etc showing the same details from the same account but in different forms. so why not railcards?
Because you can use the digital card, and at the same time lend the physical card to someone else to use with a normal TVM printed ticket.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Because you can use the digital card, and at the same time lend the physical card to someone else to use with a normal TVM printed ticket.

This could presumably be mitigated in the same way it is by e-tickets, that is by scanning all Railcards and using "big data" type analysis to pick up and prosecute cases where a Railcard has been scanned twice in close succession in an impossible situation, i.e. on two different trains where the holder could not possibly have been at the same time.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
This could presumably be mitigated in the same way it is by e-tickets, that is by scanning all Railcards and using "big data" type analysis to pick up and prosecute cases where a Railcard has been scanned twice in close succession in an impossible situation, i.e. on two different trains where the holder could not possibly have been at the same time.
Probably, but until then I think most are just going to get the usual cursory glance at the date…

sor

and you can already load the official RDG railcards onto multiple devices, three I think? so what's the difference

especially for railcards that do have photos in both physical and digital forms and an "e railcard" could continue to do the same.

ScotTrains

Because most physical railcards do not carry a photo of the railcard holder.
Are you sure about that? Every railcard I've ever owned; 18-26, 26-30 and Two Together have always had a photo on both the digital and physical versions.

I'm curious to know what railcard doesn't require a photo, and why.
I always thought the photo was required so that it can't be used by someone else.

sor

Disabled, Senior, Network, Family & Friends.
also at least some of the local ones like the Devon and Cornwall. No idea if the "digital" version has one but the physical doesn't.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Do you know "why" these don't require a photo of the nominated cardholder?
Well, they never have done since they were introduced. Historically, only the 16-25 Railcard required a photo but the others did when they were introduced much more recently.

kkong

Well, they never have done since they were introduced. Historically, only the 16-25 Railcard required a photo but the others did when they were introduced much more recently.

Yes, I'm wondering why though.

I could perhaps think of a reason why a photo might not be required for a Disabled card, but can't think why the others shouldn't have a photo?

Some of them do in the digital versions, so why not the physical ones?

OscarH

Yes, I'm wondering why though.

I could perhaps think of a reason why a photo might not be required for a Disabled card, but can't think why the others shouldn't have a photo?

Some of them do in the digital versions, so why not the physical ones?
I suspect it originated from trusting young people less, and then over time they just haven't bothered to redesign the other plastic ones to include a photo, but it was easy to include on the digital design

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Looks like they’re having another offer running through until 28th August. One year digital Railcards for £19.80. Further to the first 50 customers who buy a Railcard after 10am on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday can have it for £15.

It’s a voucher you buy that’s valid for upto 180 days, so you can buy it now and redeem it later if your current renewal isn’t due yet.

Gonzoiku

I suspect it originated from trusting young people less, and then over time they just haven't bothered to redesign the other plastic ones to include a photo, but it was easy to include on the digital design
I disagree. The very first student railcards c1974 *did* bear a photo of the holder.

GZ

OscarH

I disagree. The very first student railcards c1974 *did* bear a photo of the holder.

GZ
That agrees with what I was saying right? Railcards aimed at young people have always had photos because they're trusted less than eg Senior Railcard holders