• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trip Report - St. Pancras to Sutton via Wimbledon and Sutton to Horsham via Dorking - 2024/04/29

duffield

Established Member
LegFromDep.
WTT
Dep.
Real
ToArr.
WTT
Arr.
Real
DistanceIDOper CodeOriginDestinationClassCar.LoadingRef.
1Nottingham0813OTLondon St. Pancras10051006+1126m34c1B22EMNottinghamLondon St. Pancras2225Light*1
2London St. Pancras10121013+1Sutton (Surrey)1114OT17m51c9V31TLSt. Albans CitySutton (Surrey)7008Medium*2
3Sutton (Surrey)1143OTDorking1207OT11m56c2I22SNLondon VictoriaDorking3774+4Light*3
4Dorking1340OTHorsham1402OT13m30c2I28SNLondon VictoriaHorsham3775Light*4
5Horsham1425OTLondon St. Pancras1545OT41m74c9J44TLHorshamPeterborough70012Light*5
6London St. Pancras16051607+2Nottingham1751OT126m34c1D90EMLondon St. PancrasNottingham2225Light*6
ALLNottingham0813OTNottingham1751OT337m39c
Notes:
*1: On the approach to Kettering where we attach to the rear of 1P22 from Melton Mowbray, we were on time at Kettering North but then had a much slower approach to Kettering than normal despite 1P22 being at platform in good time. Arrived at Kettering at 0911, 5 late, attachment was slow (usually pretty slick on this service) and we left 6 late at 0918. However, we made up all but 1 minute by St. Pancras, so I still made my tight connection.

*2: Sutton journey: When trains from St. Pancras to Sutton leave Streatham they continue either via the longer Tooting and Wimbledon route or via the shorter Carshalton route. The normal pattern is for the 4tph to alternate between the routes, and to return via the “other” route after terminating at Sutton. I took the more circuitous Tooting and Wimbledon route, which averages less than 20mph end to end and passes through a typical London urban/suburban mix.
Sutton Town: A brief excursion while waiting for the connection: The pedestrianised High Street leads directly from the station, it seemed busy and prosperous. The “Famous” Sutton cockerel sign (recently restored) features prominently. The station confusingly masquerades as a Marks and Spencer from the outside, with the station signage barely visible from more than a few yards away.

*3: Dorking stations: The town has three stations, in addition to Dorking (previously Dorking North) on the Mole Valley Line from London (operated by Southern, also served by South Western), there are two stations on the North Downs Line (operated by Great Western), these are Dorking West (previously Dorking Town) and Dorking Deepdene (previously Deepdene). I passed through the NDL stations frequently as a child when travelling from Reading, visiting my Grandmother in Redhill, but had not previously used the Mole Valley line.
Dorking Town: Overall an attractive town, with some very expensive looking properties, many historic and interesting buildings and a traditional long High Street with some raised and railed pavements. The shops are varied, interesting and mostly local-seeming, with relatively little sign of the uniformity found in many towns today. However, as is common it is significantly spoiled by the volume and constancy of traffic which passes right through the middle.
Willow Walk and the Meadowbank area are very pleasant ways to access the town centre when passing to and from Dorking station, being a short distance north of the parallel High Street. The ends of the main section of High Street are marked by a small museum and heritage centre to the West and a statue of the master builder Thomas Cubitt to the East.

*4: The Mole Valley line south of Dorking down to Horsham is quite sleepy and rural, with only one train per hour in each direction on this section. Other services from London all terminate and turn back at Dorking.

*5: Horsham: Only a few minutes were available here before the Thameslink service departed for London, but it was enough for a brief walk to the pond in the large park right opposite the station. The service from Horsham to St. Pancras (and Peterborough) runs every 30 minutes and connects comfortably with all the EMR services, allowing 17-20 minutes from the low level Thameslink platforms to the EMR platforms.

Photo: Sutton Station platform view
Sutton_Station_Platform_view_20240429_114116.jpg

Photo: Sutton Station exterior, disguised as Marks & Spencer
Sutton_Station_Exterior_20240429_111731.jpg

Photo: The famous Sutton Cockerel
Sutton_The_Cockerel_20240429_111919.jpg

Photo: Dorking Station view from the footbridge looking north
Dorking_Station_from_the_Footbridge_20240429_120800.jpg

Photo: Dorking Station exterior
Dorking_Station_Exteriror_20240429_120948.jpg

Photo: Dorking High Street
Dorking_High_Street_20240429_123921.jpg

Photo: Dorking Deepdene station entrance, footpath work in progress, access via temporary steep stairs only
Dorking_Deepdene_Station_Entrance_20240429_121214.jpg

Photo: Horsham Station platform view
Horsham_Station_Platform_view_20240429_140309.jpg

Photo: Horsham Station exterior
Horsham_Station_Exteriror_20240429_142056.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

railfan99

Established Member
Agree re very poor exterior signage at Sutton station. If I was unfamiliar with the area and had failed to charge my smartphone (or lacked one with me), how would one know it's a railway station?

I've not measured these but the kerbs (i.e. footpath to road difference) in the UK seem less high than in Australia. The difference may be minimal but what I perceive as the slightly higher ones where I am make me feel safer, although unless a street has bollards (such as the High Street you show), nothing's going to stop an out of control vehicle. (Chances of that are remote).

Again, an excellent TR. Great to see adherence to timetables. Interesting that no train was busier than 'medium' but perhaps that's normal for the direction and time of trips you made.

duffield

Established Member
Agree re very poor exterior signage at Sutton station. If I was unfamiliar with the area and had failed to charge my smartphone (or lacked one with me), how would one know it's a railway station?

I've not measured these but the kerbs (i.e. footpath to road difference) in the UK seem less high than in Australia. The difference may be minimal but what I perceive as the slightly higher ones where I am make me feel safer, although unless a street has bollards (such as the High Street you show), nothing's going to stop an out of control vehicle. (Chances of that are remote).

Again, an excellent TR. Great to see adherence to timetables. Interesting that no train was busier than 'medium' but perhaps that's normal for the direction and time of trips you made.
Thanks. Yes, I always try to travel off peak or against the flow where practical.

railfan99

Established Member
The way you present the information at the top, in tabular form, is a method that could usefully be copied by other 'trip report' posters, as it gives a quick overview.

duffield

Established Member
The way you present the information at the top, in tabular form, is a method that could usefully be copied by other 'trip report' posters, as it gives a quick overview.
I was already doing it for my own benefit, just using the free Google Docs, and I found that I could just cut and paste the entire contents into a forum post (and add a few photos), so it's pretty convenient.