• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trip to Scotland after my second jab... June 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was written for the Amtrak USA train fans website. Copied here now....

Hi Folks,
Trying to keep up momentum with a few mini adventures away from home, I decided to visit Scotland by train.
Day one, last Tuesday, 8th June I travelled from Nottingham up to Glasgow. There are a few different route options to reach Glasgow from Nottingham, and I chose to go via Crewe, changing trains there onto an Avanti West Coast mainline train to Glasgow. I bought a "split ticket" for this journey, so on paper I was ticketed from Crewe to Carlisle, and from Carlisle to Glasgow, but it was all on the one train, no need to change between Crewe and Glasgow. Saved a few £ by doing this!

1.jpg

Old fashioned "Bottle Kiln" beside the tracks as we passed Stoke on Trent, area known as "The Potteries"

2.jpg

Avanti.

Crewe was a major rail hub, back in the day, but the station buildings lack the beauty of some grand older stations.
The Avanti service was not over busy, so social distancing was easy enough, as it was also on my first train from Nottingham to Crewe.
The Avanti service arrives at Glasgow Central, quite an impressive station.

3.jpg

Glasgow Central.

My hotel for the night was located nearer to Glasgow Queen Street station. Normally, there is a free bus service between the two stations, but it was not running at this time, due to covid.
I walked it in about 15 minutes, so no problem.
Day 2, next morning I walked to the Queen Street station, and boarded the Scotrail train to Mallaig where I was spending that night. The trip up from Glasgow to Mallaig is very scenic, and shows a variety of scenery, many lochs, misty mountains, valleys, moors, and ending at the fishing port of Mallaig.

I was surprised at how busy this train was as I waited to board at Queen Street. Fortunately, the train is split en-route at Crianlarich station and most passengers were boarded in the section of the train heading to Oban.
The scenery is pretty amazing, and I was able to tick "Corrour" station off my bucket list. It is said to be the highest mainline station in the UK, situated in the middle of nowhere, on Rannoch Moor. I believe the local Laird insisted on a station there to facilitate bringing his guests to the estate for hunting and fishing parties, back in the day!

5.jpg

One interesting feature of the line itself is the viaduct built by Robert McAlpine's builders. The viaduct is constructed of concrete. McAlpine was known as "Concrete Bob" for his frequent use of the material.

6.jpg

Many twists and turns of the track mean that the rails themeselves are not the "long welded rail" that is used on most of the network, but shorter jointed rail, so one is treated to the "clickety-clack" sounds of the old rail type. Very noticable and loud when passing along the single line between close granite rocks.!

7.jpg

Mallaig is quite small, and is both a fishing port, and an outdoor walking location. The rail line was built to carry the prodigious quantaties of fish landed at the port, back in the day. Over fishing and road transport means that it no longer carries any fish traffic. Several outdoor types with rucksacks and walking boots seen from the comfort of my hotel window... ;)

8.jpg

Day 3 was a long day, heading back to Nottingham in one go. The journey back from Mallaig to Glasgow took about 5 hours, then my Avanti train from Glasgow Central was delayed by a passengers medical issue, so I missed my
connection to the Nottingham train at Crewe. I was directed to another train and had to return via Tamworth. Getting home about 1am, I was pleased to see my bed!

Some passengers did not wear masks, or wore them incorrectly. Not all medical issues are visible of course, but I doubt the majority of fit looking non users had a valid excuse. It was the folk who just wore them over mouths, or chins, that annoy me most!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ooh don't start me on face mask wearing, we will be here for a few days! o_O

That looks like it was an enjoyable trip, and I definitely need to go back to Mallaig, it's been way too many years. Something else to add to my list of places to revisit, not that I needed to add to that! :lol: Corrour is already on the list, it looks quite the good day out for a proper good walking expedition!

Status
Not open for further replies.