• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trip to York - looking for fares advice

Established Member
I was wondering if someone could please advise me on the best ticketing option for York? I'm going there with one of my daughters next week for a couple of days, First York is of the most interest but we'd also like to travel with other operators while we're there. As my knowledge of buses in the area isn't very good, any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stan Drews

Established Member
I was wondering if someone could please advise me on the best ticketing option for York? I'm going there with one of my daughters next week for a couple of days, First York is of the most interest but we'd also like to travel with other operators while we're there. As my knowledge of buses in the area isn't very good, any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.
You should find this link useful.

Buy an All York All Day £4.80 for yourself, if your daughter is 16 or under she can travel free with you, if not another £4.80 All York Day Ticket. This ticket will get you travel on every bus in York within the ring road and the immediate outlying villages (Haxby, Wigginton, Strensall)

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
First York is by far the predominate operator, so unless you want to go a bit further out of York, you shouldn't really need another operator unless going from Derwenthorpe to Fulford or to Copmanthorpe. For some parts of Acomb, you may need a different operator but First York mostly covers everywhere in York.

SCH117X

Established Member
Bit strange the all operator ticket being the same price as the operators own ticket in three cases,. Wonder how many get missold an operators own ticket.

Willie Bee

if you are travelling to York by train, have you considered a PlusBus ticket .. unlimited adult travel for £3.50 or £2.30 if you have a railcard.

JD2168

If travelling to the Yorkshire Aircraft Museum this is York Pullman with the 36/X36 services.

The £2 max fare is valid on all routes in York.

If travelling to Malton for Eden Camp this is Coastliner services run by Transdev.

There are also a number of City Sightseeing services offering tickets valid for up to 24 hours.

mikeg

Established Member
Bit strange the all operator ticket being the same price as the operators own ticket in three cases,. Wonder how many get missold an operators own ticket.

Indeed it is, though for the case of First they actually go slightly outside the 'All York' area into East Yorkshire, Stamford Bridge. Arriva go into (well actually come out of) North Yorkshire but pretty sure their 'York Urban' ticket is only valid in York itself.

Established Member
You should find this link useful.

Thanks for this, very useful indeed.

Buy an All York All Day £4.80 for yourself, if your daughter is 16 or under she can travel free with you, if not another £4.80 All York Day Ticket. This ticket will get you travel on every bus in York within the ring road and the immediate outlying villages (Haxby, Wigginton, Strensall)

She's 9, so it'll only be £4.80 per day which is really good value. Thanks for letting me know.

if you are travelling to York by train, have you considered a PlusBus ticket .. unlimited adult travel for £3.50 or £2.30 if you have a railcard.

Unfortunately I've already booked the tickets, but definitely something to bear in mind for next time. Much appreciated.

If travelling to the Yorkshire Aircraft Museum this is York Pullman with the 36/X36 services.

The £2 max fare is valid on all routes in York.

If travelling to Malton for Eden Camp this is Coastliner services run by Transdev.

There are also a number of City Sightseeing services offering tickets valid for up to 24 hours.

Thanks for this, also really useful. Those museums look really interesting, so hopefully we'll be able to fit them in.

WAB

Unfortunately I've already booked the tickets, but definitely something to bear in mind for next time. Much appreciated.
They can be purchased at the booking office on the day as long as you show your rail tickets.

Established Member
They can be purchased at the booking office on the day as long as you show your rail tickets.

I didn't know I could do this, thanks very much. Something to keep in mind for future trips.

Eyersey468

Established Member
I hope you and your daughter enjoy York, there's a lot of things to do there.